Impressions of a Mamba 4600 in a T4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Clubs, RC Tracks, Events & Bashing meets Radio Control Clubs in Canada Radio Control Offroad & Onroad Tracks. RC Car Races, Events & RC Bashing Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
imported_superfly
RCC Contributor

I am: David Mandl

Total Props: 0
Impressions of a Mamba 4600 in a T4

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well I got my T4 all mamba'd up with the 4600 system and took to the track today to check it all out...

First off the track was very very loose...looked like all the sand was broomed onto the track...was too lazy to brush off so i just ran on it like that.

I was geared 18/87 as per Martin Petre...3000 or 3500 nimh batts generic brand...Default settings on the Mamba

Let me say right off bat that i'm very glad that i bought the 4600. After just a few mins running i started to turn the thing down as it was just all over the place and i just couldnt put any power down...My tires didnt help as i was running worn out hpi bonz (cant find bowties anywhere so i practice with these)

I went to the highest punch control setting, meaning the weakest acceleration but the motor just starts super slow and you start pulling the trigger then it just hammers the middle power band too hard so that was quickly set back to the medium setting with a much better feel so i left it there on Medium Punch.

Start power was moved to Medium as well and that seemed to feel better for me.

Drag brake was tried at 10% but then put back to Disabled as that felt way better...

Then i turned the motor timing to the LOWEST setting...Yeah i know the 4600 to the lowest??? Anyways i really started to like the power feel..

At this point I played with the brake power but found that if i left the mamba at the default 50% brake then just used the Spektrum grip selector for brake adjust that worked perfectly ...

The truck was starting to feel good so i put on some bowties and went out with these settings...

The first 2/3rds of the lap felt really good and then i broke the steering rack on the hill trying to get a quick lap in... So i dont really have a good few laps with decent tires but the limited running i did today i think that I made the right choice with the 4600 and I'm looking forward to running some good tires on a swept or damp track as i can see this baby is ready to put some power down...
1984 RC10 OldGold
Tekin RC10MidEngineConversion

Spektrum DX3
SuperBrain989
Mamba 4600 system
MaxAmps 5000
Sphere Competition ESC
Novak 7.5 L
Yuntong 5000
imported_superfly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
samboneecanada
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Sean H

sounds great Dave

You know, once you dial it in, you'll be Super happy SuperFly!! I wouldn't mind trying the 4600 in my 4wd just to see. I really liked the Novak ss5800 in my xx4 when I had it there.

I'm surprised that there was tons of loose stuff all over. we swept the track intensely on Sat Morning. perhaps the rain loosened the surface a bit. are you racing at this weekend's club race?
samboneecanada is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
Art Vandelay
RCC Senior Contributor

Cool review.

Did you find the response time to be better, or the same as a regular brushed motor and ESC?
Art Vandelay is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
johnnyboy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John Summach

I wouldn't play with the timing of the motor. Did you turn the throttle exponential down on your radio? Brushless systems like some negative throttle expo to smooth it out I run anywhere from -20% to -40% depending on the track, car and motor.

"Almost Live Race Coverage": www.johnnyboy.ca

"Finding Your Dream Home":www.burlingtonliving.ca
johnnyboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
imported_superfly
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy
I wouldn't play with the timing of the motor. Did you turn the throttle exponential down on your radio? Brushless systems like some negative throttle expo to smooth it out I run anywhere from -20% to -40% depending on the track, car and motor.

unfortunately i dont have throttle exp on the spektrum 3.0....but i cant see it being a problem as the manual says to use the lowest timing setting if you want longer run times and less heat...its all done in the esc so i dont think it will affect anything negatively...less heat will be better in the long run i'm guessing.

And sorry sean i have a wedding to attend this weekend so i'll be AWOL for the club race...
1984 RC10 OldGold

Spektrum DX3
SuperBrain989
Mamba 4600 system
MaxAmps 5000
Sphere Competition ESC
Novak 7.5 L
Yuntong 5000
Old 07-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
imported_superfly
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car
Cool review.

Did you find the response time to be better, or the same as a regular brushed motor and ESC?

Umm its kinda different from the brushed motors but i think when i adjusted the start power it made it better. I dont have much time with it but i did feel that with the default settings it was slightly less reactive than the brushed novak dually i was running...by changing the punch and start power i was getting it to feel like the brushed motor on start up...i'm just not used to the massive torque that the motor puts out...it can light the tires up on dirt just about anytime...so you better be straight when youre on full power...
1984 RC10 OldGold

Spektrum DX3
SuperBrain989
Mamba 4600 system
MaxAmps 5000
Sphere Competition ESC
Novak 7.5 L
Yuntong 5000
Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
johnnyboy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John Summach

I thought Spektrum's had throttle expo adjustment?

"Almost Live Race Coverage": www.johnnyboy.ca

"Finding Your Dream Home":www.burlingtonliving.ca
johnnyboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
MUSTGOFASTER
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy
I thought Spektrum's had throttle expo adjustment?
Only the DX3 and DX3.0 have expo...(the DX2 does not).
MUSTGOFASTER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
imported_superfly
RCC Contributor

we're both right...i have the old 3 that does not have EXP...the new version 3.0 does have it...

was at the track again today for a few hours...

With Bowties the truck handles great and with the settings like i left them it was very nice to drive. The track was very loose and the high winds actually were twisting the cars in the air so that didnt help...But all in all i am very happy with the 4600 and didnt feel the need to change any of the settings. I might try start power at the high setting but i was too lazy to bother today.

Now that said i put in my MaxAmps 3000HV lipo pack and gave that a go...that pack is super light and with the extra power i was popping wheelies down the straight...like top fuel blow-overs if i wasnt careful...now the front was pretty light and all but i dont think i'll need too much lead to get the truck balanced to be honest...it wasnt really that bad...i have .5oz lead in the rear by the gearbox...maybe put a little in the front...

It is SO NICE not to have to worry about the motor anymore...just put in a pack, run, cool and bit then repeat...and with the wind today it was like 10 mins off cooling and the truck was good to go...it never really got that hot anyways...I'm very happy with the mamba and I havent even bothered the computer setup yet...

All i need now is some new tires...i think i have some good ones for the front but I'm going to need new Bowties soon for the rear...I can see theyre getting kinda done Them HPI BONZ i was practicing with look like a hairless cat if you know what i mean
1984 RC10 OldGold

Spektrum DX3
SuperBrain989
Mamba 4600 system
MaxAmps 5000
Sphere Competition ESC
Novak 7.5 L
Yuntong 5000
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in