Float size - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
Float size

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello there folks!

I have here a set of floats that have been moved from shelf to shelf to shelf over the years. I've had them so long I just can't remember what they are good for. I am hoping someone here "in-the-know" can tell me what the reasonable capacity of these floats are.

These are foam core floats balsa sheeted. They are 31 inches long, a little over 4" wide at the step, and about 2.5 inches high. The bottom of the floats is V shaped, about 15 degrees. If I need to, I will post a picture when I find the camera. (don't know where the kids left it).

My question is:
What size plane would these be good for ... how much weight? (lbs/kg). If I can't get a fairly "for-sure" answer on that I will deligate them to being snow skis.

Thanks, in advance, for your insight.
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: Float size

Generally, the rule is the float length is 60-80% of the wingspan.

Here is a good comparison: The approx 4.5-6 pound Goldberg Eagle 63 and Eagle 2 recommend floats of 36" length and that's what I'm in the process of fitting to mine, (all my others are amphibs). They are similar to yours in that they are balsa sheeted foa, with V bottoms. One thing to add would be to glass the bottoms as they can take a beating.

Although I have seen some showing floats of 34" rated to 8 pounds, I would imagine they would be of a wider beam to handle that weight.

Got to love when the kids borrow stuff. I used to find the tools my son would use on some of his projects with the RIDING MOWER!!!!!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16

Floats usually are about 75 to 80% of the length from the back of the prop to the rudder hinge line. The step should be placed so it is under the CofG when the plane is in a 3 to 5 degree up attitude.

A site with excellent info is Here

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1

I just had an that might help me.

If I were to finish off these floats (cover them) and then temporary rig them up together with a simple flat surface to put stuff on ... then I guess i could float them in the bath tub and add known weights onto the platform to find how much they can carry.

I guess my next question then would be how much can I "sink" them before the weight is considered too much?
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Paradis View Post
I guess my next question then would be how much can I "sink" them before the weight is considered too much?
That all depends on how much power you give them to make them come up on step so they can be pulled out of the water, I suppose. As I always tell people, "with enough power a brick can be made to fly".

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Caygeon Flyer
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Peter C

Total Props: 0

As other folks have commented, it not about the displacement of the float, it is about the length relative to the airplane. You need the size for stability, particularly if there is a bit of chop on the water. Look at photos of full scale floats - they do not sit very far into the water.

Peter
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in