RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 05-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #61
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12
Re: Flying Field

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
By the same token, being unaccommodating and driving potential members away because they want to fly with "2lb foam toys" only encourages them to fly in parks and wherever else they can fly.
Don't know of any clubs turning down membership because the beginner wants to fly foamies. Know some instructors that are not comfortable flying them. Since they are volunteers they are well within rights to opt out of teaching on these foamies. Should be others willing. Every club I have visited there are a lot of foamies being flown. Read the replies from several members he wasn't being turned down because he wanted to fly his foamies. No one was refusing to teach him on the foamies. They volunteered two airframes and time to help get them together properly in an attempt to give him some options. I don't know how much better a fit a beginner could ask for from a club.

I've instructed on foamies, glider/electrics 2-3 and full house 4 channel. Personally I think the larger full house airframes IC or electric far superior to any small foamy for learning on. If I'm concerned with the newby getting the most satisfaction from the learning experience including a wide range of flying weather the larger trainers are definitely the airframe I would attempt to guide them too.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #62
CarlC
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: Lot

Total Props: 18

Dennis you hit the nail right on the head! Thanks

Carl C
MAAC#: 44232-L CM

Last edited by CarlC; 05-14-2016 at 03:44 PM.
CarlC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #63
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

I can appreciate ALL the view points written here thus far. Not so long ago (5 years) I was the newbie, not knowing a thing about anything. Met my mentor here on RCC, funny thing was we were 5 hours apart.

He drove 2 hours towards me, I met him 3 hours from my place. Right off the bat I had to make the pledge that his word was the only word. He was my only source of instruction and his authority was supreme. Sound harsh? Not if the instructor is a well rounded (meaning versed in may types of RC aircraft) person in the hobby for 40+ years.

While most RC enthusiasts goal in "fun" there are steps that need to be taken. These steps are necessary to protect the place we are allowed to fly at, the other people who happen to be in proximity to where we are exercising our hobby, and even the newbie who may become discouraged when the end result (T/O, flight and landing) is not met.

Dale was/is a hard-a$$ to the rules, especially the flight line. Spelled out in it's simplest form "Fly behind the flight line, the next pass is to set up for a landing, and then you go home. Come back when you appreciate the error of your ways." Not such a big deal if your 10 miles from home, little more significant when your 250 miles from home!

Most of the people in the hobby are adults, the ones that are prepubescent seem mature beyond their years. In saying this, we have to acknowledge that as mature people we may not like to be talked down to, belittled or embarrassed in front of total strangers. A little respect, courtesy, dedication and humility go a long way to making any experience more enjoyable for all involved.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #64
Bill 6069
RCC Contributor

I am: Bill M

Total Props: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helno View Post
This thread was started because he was not happy with the situation and was looking elsewhere. It should not be taken as a slight on your club but that it was not a good fit.

I guess we are going to beat this to death. There's really not much more I can add.

Thanks to everyone who has spoken out supporting the NRMFC and it's instructors. Please note that there was no response from any NRMFC member until the OP started to speak negatively about the club and the instructors. If he felt that he did not want to participate in our training program or adhere to our "SAFETY" rules then by all means he had the right to walk away and find another club or private site to fly.

We have a training program and safety rules for a reason. We value our flying site and have all seen too many fields lost to allow someone to showup and "teach them selves to fly" As previously said: if someone demonstrates they can fly safely their wings will be given and flying rights granted.

In this case the individual was treated with nothing but respect and offered all the help he asked for. At no time was he ever belittled or embarrassed in front of total strangers. The comments towards the club and instructors were completely undeserved and unwarranted. The individual made no attempt to discuss these concerns with the club members but rather chose to air them in this public forum. Even after all of this, the club has refunded his membership dues and wished him all the best in his search for a new club or flying site.

From a slightly different perspective, at the same time we had a new member join who was excited to learn to fly the CG Super Chipmunk he had just purchased. We explained to him that the airplane was not an appropriated trainer and helped him locate a good used H9 Alpha 40. He's been flying with an instructor for two weeks now and is progressing nicely. The member has been nothing but appreciative and has donated his time helping out with some field maintenance.

Our "pat on the back" will come the day he flys that Chipmunk!

Thanks again for all the support.

Bill

Last edited by Bill 6069; 05-13-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Bill 6069 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #65
CarlC
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: Lot

Total Props: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill 6069 View Post
[/color]
i guess we are going to beat this to death. There's really not much more i can add.

Thanks to everyone who has spoken out supporting the nrmfc and it's instructors. Please note that there was no response from any nrmfc member until the op started to speak negatively about the club and the instructors. If he felt that he did not want to participate in our training program or adhere to our "safety" rules then by all means he had the right to walk away and find another club or private site to fly.

We have a training program and safety rules for a reason. We value our flying site and have all seen too many fields lost to allow someone to showup and "teach them selves to fly" as previously said: If someone demonstrates they can fly safely their wings will be given and flying rights granted.

In this case the individual was treated with nothing but respect and offered all the help he asked for. At no time was he ever belittled or embarrassed in front of total strangers. The comments towards the club and instructors were completely undeserved and unwarranted. The individual made no attempt to discuss these concerns with the club members but rather chose to air them in this public forum. Even after all of this, the club has refunded his membership dues and wished him all the best in his search for a new club or flying site.

From a slightly different perspective, at the same time we had a new member join who was excited to learn to fly the cg super chipmunk he had just purchased. We explained to him that the airplane was not an appropriated trainer and helped him locate a good used h9 alpha 40. He's been flying with an instructor for two weeks now and is progressing nicely. The member has been nothing but appreciative and has donated his time helping out with some field maintenance.

Our "pat on the back" will come the day he flys that chipmunk!

Thanks again for all the support.

Bill

Thanks Bill...well said!!!

Carl C
MAAC#: 44232-L CM
CarlC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in