RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 05-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87
Re: Flying Field

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I know some people think the wings program is too by the book and a waste of time. And fine it needs to evolve to the level of all the newer electric planes and understand that not everybody wants to learn on glow or gas. But having instructed for almost 30 years the wings program will teach a pilot proper control of a dangerous airplane. In my opinion if you can't fly the two basic patterns which are round eights and square eights then you shouldn't be flying on your own. If you fly on your own property that's fine but if you fly with others its not. The two pattern above will teach you proper control of the plane without the guess work of wondering which way to move the stick. Practicing these two patterns will make you a much better pilot. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #12
CarlC
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: Lot

Total Props: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I know some people think the wings program is too by the book and a waste of time. And fine it needs to evolve to the level of all the newer electric planes and understand that not everybody wants to learn on glow or gas. But having instructed for almost 30 years the wings program will teach a pilot proper control of a dangerous airplane. In my opinion if you can't fly the two basic patterns which are round eights and square eights then you shouldn't be flying on your own. If you fly on your own property that's fine but if you fly with others its not. The two pattern above will teach you proper control of the plane without the guess work of wondering which way to move the stick. Practicing these two patterns will make you a much better pilot. Cheers Floyd

This is not about gas verses electric... He has misquoted the instructors. Its about Toys R Us(notice the avatar) verses actual RC airplanes

The problem is when the light weight foamy electric guy gets their wings then buys a high performance gasser and trots off to the field with it to fly. Bad Day About to happen.

The wings programs are on point and valid for all airframes, but there likely should be wings for various specific genre of airframe.. I've yet to have a fella wanting to learn on a 20 ounce airplane state with certainty that they would never want 1/5 scale 25 lb. Mustang for instance. Which is exactly why a reasonable compromise such as an electric OR nitro(gas) Alpha 40(ish) airframe is preferred by instructors... generally.

Carl C
MAAC#: 44232-L CM

Last edited by CarlC; 05-05-2016 at 03:08 PM.
CarlC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #13
Bill 6069
RCC Contributor

I am: Bill M

Total Props: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
Hello Dave,

It is unfortunate that you came away from our "Student Kick Off Day" with this impression.

Our Instructors like all RC instructors in Canada are volunteers, and the check out day is intended to filter out issues with individual airframes in order to prevent the loss of aircraft, maximize public safety and maximize the enjoy ability of the learning process. Sound, safe airframes are mandatory at our field and at every field in Canada.

Our club recommends 4 channel fixed wing aircraft of a typical 4 or 5 pound high wing design to learn from but airframes like the "Apprentice" are not "banned". You were "advised" by me and others that the light weight styro foam electrics will frustrate your ability to participate on windy days when other students will still be able to learn that day. No one mandated you use a particular airplane at any time Dave. Just recommended.

Again I'm very sorry you have these misconceptions.

Best of luck to you Dave and I hope you do find a way to enjoy our hobby that is easier for you.

Carl C.
Although I'm personally insulted by Shreddie 73's comments I'll keep my reply short.

Most importantly the NRMFC has a group of dedicated instructors who freely volunteer their time the help new members earn their wings. None of them deserve the comments that Shreddie has made.

Shreddie is way out of line.

Since joining our club in February he has been given ( free) two trainer aircraft complete with engines and servos. I have had regular communication with him through FB messenger and have 135 messages in my history file. He has spent two afternoons at my home working towards getting his airplane ready to fly.

Last Saturday we had a check out day where our instructors check over the students airplanes, set up their radios and test run the engines all in an effort to make sure that when instruction starts the time is spent flying and not lost fixing the airplane.

During the check out the instructors suggested Shreddie correct a couple minor items. The nose wheel travel was limited in one direction by the position of the steering arm and two servo arms had been drilled out causing excessive control surface slop. I offered to give him new servo arms if necessary.

There's more but our focus is to openly welcome and help those that want to fly and enjoy being part of the group of friendly modelers who share a common interest.

Chief Flying Instructor
Niagara Region Model Flying Club

Last edited by Bill 6069; 05-05-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Bill 6069 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #14
CarlC
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: Lot

Total Props: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoo55 View Post
How did you come to that conclusion? Maybe he is just looking for a field that someone is willing to let him fly at, or a remote property where other guys are flying at, and he doesn't want to get involved in club politics. Why do you insinuate that he is of lesser character than you? I'm petty sure that you don't even know the man.

As for a field location, I recently bought a 2nd house in the Welland area, but am not completely up to speed on all the road names. However, the exit that you take from the QEW if you want to go to the outlet mall, just continue past the outlet mall, past the college and about 10 kilometers later, on the one side of the road is the paintball location. Directly on the other side of the road is a flying field. I don't know if it is a MAAC field or not, but it looked like a nice place to fly, and anytime I have gone by, there are guys flying. Stop in and have a chat.

That's the field he's complaining about.

Carl C
MAAC#: 44232-L CM

Last edited by CarlC; 05-05-2016 at 03:11 PM.
CarlC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #15
Rookie4
RCC Contributor

I am: Scott Fischer
Radio of choice:
Dx 18
# of RCs: 28

Total Props: 2

I have to say that I am some what surprised to open up RC world and seeing someone bashing the club that I belong to. There are allot of people that in this hobby and in the nrmfc that have stepped up to help including my self . . I was trying to pay it forward but I guess they were not good enough . please let me know what you are asking for the planes , I see you have them for sale on kijiji.
Just one last note : Ithink bill was more then far to you , this hobby can be very dangerous and please can get hurt . the hobby also can be very eexpensive if you do not know what you are doing ,flying safely is most important . look forward to hearing from you about the planes good luck with what ever you do. ...
Rookie4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #16
Me109G
RCC Contributor

I am: William
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX9
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 4

I don't want to start anything but I use to belong to that club back in 2000 I started as a beginner there but couldn't get any training time there due to reasons which I don't want to write so I joined the other local club and was able to pass the wings program even though it was hard work and lost alot of trainers due to take offs but I had one of the best instructors which he happened to be a member of both clubs he gave me the test after I was done doing the basics of flying and because of his training instructions I got my wings and I now fly safer hell I even landed a plane with no elevator because of his training. The wings program is a great program to learn the basics of this hobby.
Me109G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #17
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddie73 View Post
Dennis i'm looking for a field to fly my planes or where other guys go just to get away from clubs go and Skidoo55 is right you don't know me so don't judge a person.
First of all when someone strongly states "no club" there has to be a reason. That reason alone requires more information before I would recommend a site for you. Whether its a groomed flying field or just an open area that flyers have found and enjoy the time flying, no one wants to see a problem child show up and ruin it for the others. Places in your area that welcome/tolerate rc flying are becoming rarer and rarer. One fellow, one attitude can ruin it for everyone using that site/field. As I thought it appears you have a few issues to work out.

You are right I don't know you but before I would recommend a place to you I would need to know a bit about you.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #18
MikeFJR
RCC Apprentice

I am: Michael H
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0

Me109G - A lot of things have changed in the 16 years that have gone by since you were a member of the Niagara Regional Model Flying Club. Yes, as with any club there are ups and downs. Please understand this is not directed to you but just to provide my observations. As of today, 2016, we have 2 extremely well maintained flying fields, a float fly location where we host multiple events at that is arguably one of the best in the region and a great group of members that are, and have been willing to help anyone interested in getting into this very enjoyable hobby. In this particular case, I believe the gentleman who started this thread had no idea that RC Airplanes are not toys. He thought he could just come out and fly. Well, as anyone who has been in this hobby knows, it takes time and training to learn how to fly safely. It seems he has not got the patience to learn from experienced certified instructors that only wanted to help him learn to fly under MAAC rules. The fact that he was GIVEN 2 complete trainers from a generous member of the club and has now decided to sell them on Kijiji for is own profit is upsetting. Our club did everything to nurture and develop his desire to fly - but it takes two. This is a great Club with great people. Period.

Ain't no fun hangin' on the wall....

Last edited by MikeFJR; 05-05-2016 at 05:21 PM.
MikeFJR is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #19
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87

Everyone should pass a wings test and then go fly what ever you like where ever you like. The wings program will teach you proper control of your aircraft.
Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #20

I am: Dave E
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1

Rookie4
I will give all 3 planes plus field box that you gave me.
When do you want them? I can drop them off.
Shreddie73

Last edited by 78322; 05-05-2016 at 07:29 PM.
78322 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in