Field chargers - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Fa82showtime
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Brad F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0
Field chargers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
so.... Whats with the field chargers. I have used them all time to charge batteries. Is it the proper way to be charging these batteries all the time er what. i was just getting ready for some flying and it popped into my head that its really the only way i havfe charged my batteries. I use the Double Vision Field Charger by hangar 9. AM i just wrecking these batteries this way.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94
Re: Field chargers

I use the same field charger but only to top up so I can keep flying if the day permits. I do a monthly cycling of batteries and always trickle charge the planes that I am going to fly with the night before. Maybe someone can shed some more light on this as I am interested also.
Personally, I don't think it is the best thing for the batteries to be fast charged all the time though....... but what would I know!!!

Cheers
Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
ByronF
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ByronF
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8 and DX6

Yes curious minds would really like to know. Everything I read says fast charging constantly will shorten battery life - more so for NiMh than NiCd.
Horizon even cautions in "bold letters" not to let their Expert brand NiMH get warm during fast charge and if they do remove immediately.
Would really like to see and hear expert advice on this. Would help me to decide what new charger to get.
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Fa82showtime
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Brad F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 15

Futaba has a charger on the GH web site but i donno if its a fast feild charger also
Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dale I

I use a Tritan or a Tritan 2 at the field. But I charge at 1C. So, ya, it takes a bit to charge but it takes what it takes right. I always charge the night before using the same method. 1C. So, if ya do that all the time you won't have any problems with life expectancy. I've been doing the same thing for years with no problems. I usually throw out batteries that are 5 years old as well. I don't think its worth the models life.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
spitrc
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Larry F.
Radio of choice:
All
# of RCs: 40

I use a fast charger on my ni-mh batteries to peak them at the field. Both the receiver and transmitter. Only one concern is that the fast charger will not balance all the cells to the same voltage level, so I still use the stock charger at home overnight to bring the cells back to a equal voltage on each cell.
The slow trickle charge will charge any lower voltage cells without overheating the others fully charged cells. Hope that helps you.
spitrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46

I use a peak detect charger for both my transmitter ans receiver. I never charge at more than 1C. I do however, once a month charge the batteries overnite at C/10 to 'equalize' the cells. I have used this method for many years with no problems. Some of my batteries are approaching 6 years and a cycle check shows them down to about 75% capacity so it is time to replace it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in