Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Edmond Y
RCC Apprentice

I am: |Yuk Choi Y

Total Props: 0
Parkzone ultra mirco J cub?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Howdy,

I read a topic in rcgroups about the ultra mirco j cub, I think I saw great hobbies sell them, but are there hobby shop in Vancouver area carry this little plane? For those who own this plane, would it be a better plane for me to step up a little? I would like to hear some comments.

Thanks

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
hermann78
RCC Apprentice

Re: Parkzone ultra mirco J cub?

I dont think it came out yet and if it did it hasnt been long . You can probably preorder it at any hobby shop , check the supporting dealers . It s a micro airplane so it s mostly suitable for indoor flying . Step up from what ? It s a trainer plane , a step up from paper planes .
hermann78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
Edmond Y
RCC Apprentice

I am: |Yuk Choi Y

Ha...I should mention I only flew airhawk two channel before.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
hermann78
RCC Apprentice

It s going to be a very good trainer plane but for indoors . I have an ultra micro P51 and it doesnt take much wind to toss it around . If you re going to use it oudoors id recommend a Hobbyzone super cub . I got the P51 as a 1st plane after flying 2 channels like you and it was a mistake . It would ve worked indoors but not outdoors , dont know if it was the wind or the cold but it was just not stable enough and would stall a lot .
hermann78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermann78 View Post
If you re going to use it oudoors id recommend a Hobbyzone super cub.
Excellent recommendation. The HZ Super Cub is a great flyer for learning. Very gentle but can do some basic aerobatics. It's also much better now that they offer it in a brushless and LiPo version.

I had the original version and then converted to brushless later on. I also turned it into a 4-channel with ailerons and clipped the wings. It was a pretty fun little plane, especially because I learned the basics of modifying a plane.

However, now that we are heading into indoor season, the little micro J-cub would be great little plane if you can hook up with a club that offers an indoor venue.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
philipa_240sx
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

I have never seen a brushless version of the HZ Supercub. The newest LP version has Lipo batteries, but still comes with the brushed 480 motor.

There is a new Bind 'n Fly version due in January. It comes with a 2.4GHz Spektrum receiver with built-in ESC, 3 wire servos, 1300mAh Lipo, and brushed 480 motor. This is a great combo IMHO as you can purchase a Spektrum radio (DX5E for example) that can be used to fly other planes including the Micro J-3 cub, Bind 'n Fly series, most of the Spektrum RX's, etc.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
philipa_240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermann78 View Post
I dont think it came out yet and if it did it hasnt been long .
Horizon Hobby has pushed the release date back to late January:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3980

If you want an indoor flyer that is very docile and a good step up from the 2ch Air Hog planes, then look at the PZ Vapor. It's a surprisingly tough little bird. It flies well in a small gym or outdoors on very calm (no wind) days. It flies at a walking pace so it's very easy to learn on.

BTW, I went from the AA planes to a Vapor then on to larger 3ch planes like the Slo-V.

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 12-07-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
craigk
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
Spectrum NX10
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
Horizon Hobby has pushed the release date back to late January:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3980

If you want an indoor flyer that is very docile and a good step up from the 2ch Air Hog planes, then look at the PZ Vapor. It's a surprisingly tough little bird. It flies well in a small gym or outdoors on very calm (no wind) days. It flies at a walking pace so it's very easy to learn on.

I recommend the ember over the vapor
flies equally well and is less fragile - the last bunch of vapors have been damaged - the film comes off the wing ans is difficult to repair.

I would also get a the BNF version and then buy a 6 channel Spektrum Radio
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
philipa_240sx

I agree the wing covering on the Vapor does come unglued after hard use, but it's simple to glue it back down with CA. The only other issue with the Vapor is wing mounts that loosen up over time. Easily fixed with white glue... so it can be removed and the wing repositioned if need be.

Both are the Ember and Vapor are great fliers. I have limited stick time on the Ember, but it seems to handle light winds better.

+1 for a separate Spektrum radio. I have used both the DX5e and DX6i. The DX5e belongs to a fellow flier who is just learning and it's a good basic transmitter. The DX6i can be a little intimidating as it's a full computer radio and there is a lot of programming options. Once setup, both TX's work equally well in terms of control feel, resolution, etc.

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 12-08-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
philipa_240sx

Re: Parkzone ultra micro J cub?

I might be mistaken about the micro J-3 Cub release date. Some say it's due to HH's inventory system and the planes will still be shipping in Dec. I would be interested to know if/when someone gets their hands on one.

Had the first 'accident' with the Ember. It took a good tumble outdoors and ripped the foam on the elevator. A bit of tape fixed it for now.

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 12-08-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in