Battery Explosions - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 05-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
mike88

Total Props: 0
Re: Battery Explosions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ive been using lipo's for the last 5 years with no problems, i don't understand how these are sooo dangerous when you pay attention and are properly keeping tabs on how much the batts are being discharged and charged.

Other than a defects in manufacturing you REALLY have to be out to lunch
to not set your charger correctly.... cell count and capacity ARE printed right on the battery for anybody who hasent realized this yet
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
mjws
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike S

With a good balancing charger the risk is decreased dramatically. The cell has to be held over voltage for quite a while to puff and 'vent with flame'. Integrated balancer chargers just shutdown any cell that is running away. That is exactly how it works with your cell phone and laptop as well.

With multi-chemistry chargers, or balancing systems that aren't integrated there is significantly more room for user error and or cell runaway. The charger will just keep doing as it's told even though one cell in the pack is about to explode. Many of the fires were/are from incorrect cell counts set, or from an incorrect automatic cell count detection.

A friend cooked his basement carpet in the early days (before balancing) on a Triton with incorrect settings. I've seen a number of planes burn. Treat them like you would your gas can for your lawnmower, or your nitro fuel. You pay attention, but don't lose any sleep.

I still charge in a fire safe, or ceramic pot. But admittedly with the new balancing chargers I feel pretty safe. We've come a long way.

Mike
mjws is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Sparhawk
RCC Contributor

I am: Dan J.
Radio of choice:
14MZ
# of RCs: 10

Ed, LiPo's are your least worries, and if treated properly are as safe as anything else.... You drive around in a car that contains what? 60-70l of gasoline? Helluva lot more explosive power in a gallon of gas than most people think.... and where do you park it? Yep, all nice and suggly out in the closed in garage.

Another silly post on the dangers of LiPo's. Living is dangerous. Period. Get over it.
Geesh. I wish people would find something better to do than start posts that do nothing to add to the knowledge of other folks coming on here. Really. What was the purpose of your thread? Meaningless dribble. I guess just to stir up the dust....
MAAC #68159
Sparhawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
pogo
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom Muir

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Smith View Post
We read about battery explosions and the releasing of smoke. We are told that to be on the safe side, Lithium batteries should be in a "Safety sack" or metal box while charging.

My attitude to this is, that if there is a danger of batteries exploding, I do not want them in my house or even on my property, in a sack, box or anything else.

If this is a real danger through the correct charging procedure then I will no longer use them. I will revert to "Nitro" power. It has served me well for over half a century!

Ed s
The very title of this thread displays a total ignorance of the behavior of Lipo's when/if failure occurs. They may puff, they may release acrid smoke, and they may, in rare cases, burn vigorously- they do not explode.

As has been stated on this thread and a thousand others like it, gasoline will. I wouldn't allow gas on our property but my lawn tractor has not, as yet, been converted to run on Lipo's.
Tom
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
Ed, LiPo's are your least worries, and if treated properly are as safe as anything else.... You drive around in a car that contains what? 60-70l of gasoline? Helluva lot more explosive power in a gallon of gas than most people think.... and where do you park it? Yep, all nice and suggly out in the closed in garage.

Another silly post on the dangers of LiPo's. Living is dangerous. Period. Get over it.
Geesh. I wish people would find something better to do than start posts that do nothing to add to the knowledge of other folks coming on here. Really. What was the purpose of your thread? Meaningless dribble. I guess just to stir up the dust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
The very title of this thread displays a total ignorance of the behavior of Lipo's when/if failure occurs. They may puff, they may release acrid smoke, and they may, in rare cases, burn vigorously- they do not explode.

As has been stated on this thread and a thousand others like it, gasoline will. I wouldn't allow gas on our property but my lawn tractor has not, as yet, been converted to run on Lipo's.
Tom
Now I for one find these two replies to Ed's question very rude I don't know Ed never met him, but I have listened to things he has to say on here and his airplane builds are first class.Now when one is new to a subject he /they don't always use the right terminology. Guess what he is asking questions and not going around saying electrics aren't any good because he doesn't understand them.So give a person a break and try and help not criticize when a person asks for help.

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #16
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifly2104 View Post
Now I for one find these two replies to Ed's question very rude I don't know Ed never met him, but I have listened to things he has to say on here and his airplane builds are first class.Now when one is new to a subject he /they don't always use the right terminology. Guess what he is asking questions and not going around saying electrics aren't any good because he doesn't understand them.So give a person a break and try and help not criticize when a person asks for help.
+1 for hifly2104

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #17
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
+1 for hifly2104
I'll second that!
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #18
E Smith
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Now I for one find these two replies to Ed's question very rude I don't know Ed never met him, but I have listened to things he has to say on here and his airplane builds are first class.Now when one is new to a subject he /they don't always use the right terminology. Guess what he is asking questions and not going around saying electrics aren't any good because he doesn't understand them.
Thank you for that.

Pretty much every post I have made on the electric forum I have stated that I am new to the subject. I seek information and ask for help. I have received a lot of help from this forum. I also try things out for myself. The most interesting part of it all for me is, it is something new to learn. At my age it is easy to stagnate.

I am still very active in Pylon Racing. If anybody wants to know how to make a racing engine "GO" just ask.

There is a move in the U.S. to get electric racing recognised as an AMA event. The airplanes will be based on Formula 1 racers. Horizon hobbies already has an ARF on the market. It is the LR 1A Pogo. When the rules are finalised for sure I will be involved.

Ed s
Old 05-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #19

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Smith View Post

There is a move in the U.S. to get electric racing recognised as an AMA event. The airplanes will be based on Formula 1 racers. Horizon hobbies already has an ARF on the market. It is the LR 1A Pogo. When the rules are finalised for sure I will be involved.

Ed s
Can't wait, got my name on one when they arrive at the hobbystore There is tons of racing around here so it should be a riot....as I said to Walt C. out here, it will get guys like me back to doing some racing that just want something fun and simple. Hopefully they don't turn it into a motor game!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #20
E Smith
RCC Contributor

Quote:
it will get guys like me back to doing some racing that just want something fun and simple.
Chad, I agree with you.

However, AMA competiton rules have a habit of NOT staying fun and simple. I hope to be receiving a kit next week to build and review for a producer. We will see how that goes.

Ed S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in