pockets8815
RCC Apprentice

I am: Paul M
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
RC for 7 yr old

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All,

Looking at getting something for my son to get into RC. Alot has changed since my old RC10 days (still have it, but way too fast for him). Looking at picking up something used, that is hobby grade but slower. Maybe a crawler? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul
pockets8815 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
sdmf
RCC Noob

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10

Re: RC for 7 yr old

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets8815 View Post
Hi All,

Looking at getting something for my son to get into RC. Alot has changed since my old RC10 days (still have it, but way too fast for him). Looking at picking up something used, that is hobby grade but slower. Maybe a crawler? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul
Hey Paul, I would only say to avoid a crawler, as kids like to jump stuff. I saw these before xmas at a LHS for 110$. They are quick, but easy to control. Apparently very tough trucks as well. There is a short course also.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...rodID=ECX01000
sdmf is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
g1975a
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15

Many of the faster trucks have a way of reducing the speed. For Traxxas it's on the ESC and others may have a throttle adjustment on the radio. I recommend you buy your second truck *first* if you have budget.

Mark's suggestion is a solid starter truck but your son may grow out of it quickly and you'll be spending a fair amount to upgrade it to brushless or selling it to move up. The other limiting factor is that there's not really a race class for it. If you pick up a 2WD buggy or short course truck, or 4x4 buggy or short course truck you can go out to almost any race track and run with 'the big boys'. He might not will races without some upgrades but he can compete and have some fun.

If you are thinking you might get him into racing down the road - head out to the track you would be racing at and see what people run or recommend. Check your local hobby store as well to see what's popular as they will stock parts for those trucks.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
sdmf
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

You can get a hobbyking brushless special for under 50$. Total cost under 200$ for the ecx with a cheapy bl system. Even a used mini revo will be over 200, or a losi mini 8ight. With a 2wd firestorm used or rustler, you can maybe get them around 250.

Even the full sized ECX 1/10th are decent, but brushed.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
g1975a
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
You can get a hobbyking brushless special for under 50$. Total cost under 200$ for the ecx with a cheapy bl system. Even a used mini revo will be over 200, or a losi mini 8ight. With a 2wd firestorm used or rustler, you can maybe get them around 250.

Even the full sized ECX 1/10th are decent, but brushed.
You just have to keep an eye out and you can find the right used deals. I've bought used Mini 8ights for around $150, brushed Rustlers for just over $100, a brushless Associated B4.1 buggy (when newer) for cheap, etc. The problem with throwing $50 for a brushless upgrade on a mini like the ECX/Dromidas is they aren't made to handle brushless power and speed without upgrading suspension/arms/shocks and strengthening the drive train.

I agree with you on the ECX 1/10th models. In fact, I was going to suggest a Torment but we don't know what he wants his son to use it for. The problem is if he wants to eventually race, he'd be further ahead picking up a used race-class model and grow into it.

Last edited by g1975a; 01-24-2015 at 07:41 AM.
g1975a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
sdmf
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

My godkids or however you say that are 15, 17 now, so not long ago. I brought them to races, they weren't interested. A 7 year old doesn't know what they want, or what they want to do. That's why I would go for the 100$ ecx, it may not get used much more than a month. If it does, you got your moneys worth, as the little waterproof smashers are pretty hard for a kid break. The plus is also, smaller scale stuff is usually cheaper.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
pockets8815
RCC Apprentice

I am: Paul M
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 6

Thanks Guys, its an intro to the hobby, probably not to get into racing just yet. But who knows. Thanks for all the great feedback, will take him to the LHS and see what they have.

Enjoy your weekend,
Paul
pockets8815 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
Cricklewood
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 4

You may want to scout out the local hobby shop first before taking your son. Have an idea of what the options are so that you can steer him where you think he should go. Pretty difficult to find out about the options with your son beside you saying he wants something that is not suitable or in your price range and having to tell him no.

Just a suggestion.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
nemodigital
RCC Noob

I am: Attila M

I would suggest a traxxas stampede VXL 4x4. Thats what I got for my 5 year old and he drives it like a champ. Still in learning mode but nice to have that option to go faster in another year or two. Good thing about traxxas is that there is great parts support and they are durable.
nemodigital is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in