I need info about a Sig 1/4 cub - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 01:08 PM   #1
rick
RCC Contributor

I am: Rick V
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 2
I need info about a Sig 1/4 cub

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just acquired a sig 1/4 scale cub. It is an old one patched up a bit with a Saito 130 twin. It has standard servos all around except for a 1/4 scale on the elevator. Any comments about the engine or set up that I should know about? Also the wing is one piece - really long 100". Sig says it is a 2 piece wing? I would appreciate any copies of old building mannuals or Piper documentation that came with it. I hope to rebuild it in the near future.

One last thing -I have a set of Great Planes 60 sized floats - are they too small? they are rated at 15lbs. and my plane weighs in at 16lbs. The floats themselves weigh almost 4 lbs?

Thanks

and have a Merry Christmas
rick is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
After reviewing the Sig 1/4 scale plane specs, it seems that the wing is a two piece. I would have sworn that they were one piece unless this is a recient mod. I believe that the Sig is a bit closer to scale outline as well compared to the Balsa USA 1/4 Cub. Ya gotta love those big Cubs!

I have seen several Sig 1/4 Cubs and they are a very nice flying plane. I had an OS 1.20 twin in my Balsa USA Cub and it was tonnes of power, your 1.30 twin engine should be awsome!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:06 PM   #3
prangled prop

Total Props: 0
Hi Rick:
Just talked to my old friend Syd "Mr. Cub" Garlic. He has built probably 8 or 10 cubs of various sizes. And is just finishing a !/4 scale Sig Cub. He did not know if the one he is building has been changed or is the same as the one you bought. Anyway I can probably get the instruction manual and what is left of the plans if you want them. It may take a while to get them as I am not sure if Syd still need them.

The wing is indeed a 2 piece wing, looks like the builder made them into a single wing.

The engine should be ok as we are running 120's off floats and have loads of power.

Syd says the floats are probably not big enough, the ones we are using are rated up to 18 pounds I think he said.

Hope this helps

Merry Christmas

Cliff

Cliff
prangled prop is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-24-2003, 09:14 PM   #4
rick
RCC Contributor

I am: Rick V
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 2
Thanks Gentlemen

And a Merry Christmas to you all!

Cliff if you could get a copy of the documentation and more info on the floats I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

Rick
rick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:25 PM   #5
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
The wing is indeed a 2 piece wing, looks like the builder made them into a single wing.
Actually, the builder is given a choice of building the wing in 2 pieces, or as a single piece. If the wing is built as two pieces, they are not equal length. One side includes the cabin top.

Those floats are a bit too small...The GP cub is 1/4.7 th scale...quite a bit smaller than a quarter scale cub.

One thing that I might add (as those of you who were a Shuswap in 2002 will attest) there was a very convincing demonstration that struts are required in flight - even for the 1 piece wing!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:37 PM   #6
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Rick,
I have a set of Sig (clipped wing) Cub plans. They have been separated for building but are not marked up. The plan #is RC-47 and the wing is one piece. The info in the other post about the struts being needed is good advice. The wing spars are 1/4 sq spruce top and bottom. I do not have the manual but the plans are easy to understand. If you require anything from them let me know.
John
Old 01-25-2004, 10:46 AM   #7
juice90
RCC Contributor

I am: grant

Total Props: 1
1/4 scale cub

Rick,

I have the same cub. In its original form, it had a 2 piece wing. One piece approx, 4 feet long and one 5 feet long, with the center section attached, and a spar sticking outa it. Also, the struts were attached and had to be removed. A real pain to assemble, so when I rebuilt my cub, I created a 2 peice wing, and built the center section onto the fuse. I put 3/8 ince dowels into the wings,and corasponding holes in the fuse center section. and now bolt the wing to the center section, useing 1/4 nylone bolts...2 per side. And I built the struts, so that they fold down, onto the wing, for transport.
This is much easier, and very sturdy. I had a minor crash with it, and only, the nylone bolts broke, which was what I hoped would happen in a crash.
As for floats, well, the sig floats are approx 48 inches long. I don't think I would use anything smaller.
I can send you pictures of my cub if you would like.

Juice 90
Old 01-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
Quote:

"One thing that I might add (as those of you who were a Shuswap in 2002 will attest) there was a very convincing demonstration that struts are required in flight - even for the 1 piece wing!"

I will attest to that!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:31 PM   #9
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Ah, so you saw "it" ..........

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in