New To Digital - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
eekay
RCC Noob

I am: Chris K
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
New To Digital

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Good day all. Thank you for making this site available for all to share.

To start, I initially got into the hobby as a teen in Labrador City, NL, where there was a fairly active community. Back then transmitters were analog only and electric aircraft were unheard of. The club disbanded in early 2000's due to city bylaws, and I never flew again, having never achieved solo flight. I shelved my planes, and moved to St. John's, NL, where there is no active RC aviation community (mostly due to the constant, unrelenting near hurricane forced winds this place experiences).

I am now moving to Sylvan Lake, AB (in 9 days as of this post), which is neighbouring Red Deer, which I understand has a large aviation community.

I am eager to fly, and to begin building a quick and dirty electric foamie to get me back in the air while I get back on my feet. I will not be able to visit the Red Deer flying club, as I will not have access to a vehicle for financial reasons. I will, however, be living on a farm, with all the wide open space far from town that I could want.

TL;DR

I'm new to these 'digital' transmitters, back then we had analog, and if one guy had the same crystal as you, it was a no go. With transmitters digitally syncing to the receivers in newer units, will the issue of channel-jacking exist? If I get a radio, and am toying around at the farm with a transmitter that has a weak 20km range, is there a chance I can cause problems for anyone flying in that radius? Or is this a unique-to-that-plane-and-that-plane-only kind of deal?

Any info, links, user guides, wikis, that dispel these kinds of questions for people like me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Cheers
eekay is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42
Re: New To Digital

If you buy one of the 2.4 spread spektrum radio systems there is no risk of shooting someone down. Each receiver you put to use gets matched to the signals the transmitter puts out (called binding) and ONLY that Tx can talk to that Rx. Unlike the old days where a given frequency Tx could talk to EVERY Rx within range using the same frequency. It takes a bit to understand it all now vs way back then especially the relationship between electric motor terms & battery specs but things are MUCH better now. I wouldn't have returned to the hobby 2 seasons ago if it weren't for electric power.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
DHansen
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
Spektrum/JR
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

Welcome to Alberta Chris. You are virtually surrounded by flying clubs check them out online. Buying and flying has never been easier since the change to 2.4 have fun.
DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
bhughes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

Welcome to alberta. There is also the biggest auction on the year in slyvan for rc's. Usualy first sat in may. Most of the time they list it on the maac website

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in