tuning a da50 - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #11
chrispare46

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
thanks fellas. i didn't think i would have any problems but knowledge is the best tool.and nothing wrong with askin,might learn something
chrispare46 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #12
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Chris,
The advise on leaving them alone is good unless you have overhauled the carb. and have to start from scratch. Before I pull needle valves I always count the turns from being seated. This way you have a place to start when finished.
Have you ever wondered why your weedeater, lawn mower and other small gas engines have needle valves you could not adjust. For example no slots for a screwdriver or locks are in place?
John
Old 06-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #13
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan1
Have you ever wondered why your weedeater, lawn mower and other small gas engines have needle valves you could not adjust. For example no slots for a screwdriver or locks are in place?
John
My guess is warranty issues. You'd get people trying to tune them without having the proper information on how to tune it. The motor wouldn't work right and they'd probably tell 20 people that Brand X weedwacker is garbage.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #14
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramz
Quote:
John
My guess is warranty issues. You'd get people trying to tune them without having the proper information on how to tune it. The motor wouldn't work right and they'd probably tell 20 people that Brand X weedwacker is garbage.
I think his point was that the motor runs fine for the life of the tool, without ever having to change the factory setting.
We expect a little better performance for our engines, so a little tuning can be expected.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramz
Quote:
John
I think his point was that the motor runs fine for the life of the tool, without ever having to change the factory setting.
We expect a little better performance for our engines, so a little tuning can be expected.
My Husqavarna weedwhacker is about 12 years old and still going strong...after 1 carb kit and a plug change. The carb has to be adjusted about every 2 years though to keep it working correctly. I'm probably the exception to the rule though.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #16
Barman
RCC Noob

Don't be afraid to to adjust it, it's just an engine. Mine ran like
crap (burbling) until I adjusted it. The low end took a lot of leaning
before it cleaned up. I picked these instructions up of the net somewhere and they work like a charm.

Barman

"To adjust the low end:

Lean low needle til you have a crisp transition after idle for 10-15 seconds, then turn a little more lean when it starts to "hesitate" or even die when you goose the throttle to full for 2 seconds, then back it up until that hesitation disappears.

Then always reset your high end after you adjust the low end...

Check the RPMS... adjust leaner until the RPMS peak then start to drop slightly... back up until you have about 100 rpm below peak. If a new engine, 300 rpm below peak.

Watch head temperature... you don't want more than 200... and 180-190 is ideal.

Once you have these three things in the groove you can fly with full confidence...

Don't be in a hurry... take your time and let the engine sit off for a few minutes between tests. Start the engine and let idle for about one minute to warm to temp before each test.

Cut the engine, make the adjustment and again let it sit for a couple minutes, start, wait for a minute then proceed with your next test.
Barman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #17
volksman
RCC Master Contributor

I am: robert j

Total Props: 16
hmmm im dr jesso now well! if it runs out of the box doesnt quit leave it alone till it has some time on it. it should be spitting some black goo at the start on the non synthetic oil prolly will be adjusted like this at the factory. da engines are run at factiory i would imagine. after it been run a while twidling will be easier. a tach is handy not overly neccesary unless ya want to be right on for the last bit of power. its just a two stroke gas engine with a walboro carb. simple to adjust lots better at setting them than me though
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #18
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

DA engines are run at the factory, and set for break-in.
Some fine adjustment may be needed as it breaks in.
Two I have had needed only about 1/8 turn to the lean on the low needle after a couple gallons.
The high needle I never touched...both engines ran great!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in