E-Flite Funtana 300 Warranty? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
00lude
RCC Apprentice

I am: O

Total Props: 0
E-Flite Funtana 300 Warranty?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just picked this up a few days ago. Built it and on the first flight the motor mount came loose and the prop chopped into the side of the plane. This was only about 2 min into the first flight. I glided it safely to the ground so there was no other damage. Being that the plane is built, It would cost an arm an a leg to ship it back to e-flite. Do you think this would be covered under warranty? I am assuming so, but I am wondering what you think e-flite may say. I am hoping that they will replace it.

Last edited by 00lude; 09-23-2008 at 04:14 PM.
00lude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
BigBreeze
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc B
Radio of choice:
JR9303
# of RCs: 6

Re: E-Flite Funtana 300 Warranty?

This is my opinion, but I think you should fix it the best you can, and fly it. I generally go over all the joints in any ARF-type plane to make sure everything is solid and glued properly before maiden.

You could try to get warranty on it, but I would think that what you get in return would not be worth the headache. Who knows, you may get lucky and get a new one, you never know!!

Marc B.
BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
00lude
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBreeze View Post
This is my opinion, but I think you should fix it the best you can, and fly it. I generally go over all the joints in any ARF-type plane to make sure everything is solid and glued properly before maiden.

You could try to get warranty on it, but I would think that what you get in return would not be worth the headache. Who knows, you may get lucky and get a new one, you never know!!

Marc B.

Thanks for your opinion. I put a little bit of epoxy on it and repaired it to the best of my ability. I am a little concerned as I wanted the plane to be as light as possible with the cg a little further back than normal for better 3-D. Now the fueslage has some prop cuts on the side of it as well as a heavier nose, I am a bit dissapointed... I am interested to see how Horizon will handle this.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Only one way to find out.. email them.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

The worst scenario is they could say not covered and they lose you as a customer and a few others along with you. The best thing is you could end up with a new plane. If you don't ask or make them aware of the problem, then the problem is yours.Ok the new one when it arrives . Epoxy it as previously suggested but use 30 min epoxy . You can heat it before putting it on or after, making it flow into the joints and therefore needing a whole lot less than if unheated

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
00lude
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifly2104 View Post
The worst scenario is they could say not covered and they lose you as a customer and a few others along with you. The best thing is you could end up with a new plane. If you don't ask or make them aware of the problem, then the problem is yours.Ok the new one when it arrives . Epoxy it as previously suggested but use 30 min epoxy . You can heat it before putting it on or after, making it flow into the joints and therefore needing a whole lot less than if unheated

Thanks alot for the help! I am very new to the sport so any help is always appreciated.

I emailed their support center on sunday and I am still waiting for a reply. I was sent an auto-reply stating that they would get back to me in 3-5 business days.

I took the plane out last night after the repairs to the firewall and everything seems to be holding up fine. However, I have been having an issue with the cg (I think). It is bang on with what E-flite recommends for cg, but the plane flies very tail heavy. Any thoughts? Is there a good way to calculate what the cg should be?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

25% of the wing cord is a good place to start. If the wing is 8" wide then start at 25% of that from leading edge (2") from leading edge . You can go up to 35% but really need to watch as now tail heavy conditions can occur. It wouldn't be the first plan a mnfg has the wrong specs for I have a Hanger 9 Funtana 90 and it is out about an inch compared to their specs Hanger 9 and E flite are to my knowledge the same company

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

It is an aerobatic plane, so the CG is a little further back than normal. Good way to tell where you at is to flip it inverted. It should take just a bit of down elevator or none to fly level. If it takes a lot of down, move the CG back. If it wants to climb, move it forward. A lot of it is personal preference. The controls become more sensitive as you move the CG back, so you may want to back off on the throws. There again it's a personal preference thing. If you find it snaps out of a tight loop, back off on the elev.control throw. Hope this helps.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
00lude
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypaper View Post
It is an aerobatic plane, so the CG is a little further back than normal. Good way to tell where you at is to flip it inverted. It should take just a bit of down elevator or none to fly level. If it takes a lot of down, move the CG back. If it wants to climb, move it forward. A lot of it is personal preference. The controls become more sensitive as you move the CG back, so you may want to back off on the throws. There again it's a personal preference thing. If you find it snaps out of a tight loop, back off on the elev.control throw. Hope this helps.
Good points. When I flew inverted the plane really wanted to climb. I have since moved the CG forward more than an inch from what was recommended and now it is essentially neutral. Thanks for the help! I think it is just about time for another plane. Maybe something a little bigger

I have recieved one email from E-flite. They will replace the plane but they want me to send in this one. With the shipping alone to send it, I could purchase another fuselage and save money. They seem to have a very inefficient system for responding to emails. 3-5 days for a response so since I have started this post, I have had one response and I am awaiting my second response from them...
Old 10-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Pangaea
RCC Contributor

Enjoy your plane. Don't get hungup on e-mail response time. Even Castle Creations give a 5 to 7 days response time for questions.

Usually...E-Flite planes are well built. I'm surprised the mount came loose like that. Goes to show that one should go over their plane and strengthen stress points.

It is a credit to your flying skills that you landed safely without further damage.
Pangaea is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in