Gaui X4 Build - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Tower
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeremy
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 39
Re: Gaui X4 Build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTFrog View Post
Looking good, wow I want a big heli now.
They are easier to see and fly - more intimidating at first I found as I moved up in size. Many learn on the Raptor 30s which is a fine machine (discontinued now) and much bigger.

Cheers

Last edited by Tower; 01-23-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Tower is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Tower
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Gaui X4 Build - Head Servos 1

The Savox servos were not supplied by Gaui. Gaui does recommend them. The idea in this next step is to build a small block of two servos and then attach them to the frame and head.

The speciality long arms supplied with the servos are of very hard plastic. Normally you can start a screw in a servo arm and thread it through - not with these, the first one I tried cracked along the length of the arm. Also they do not fit the splines very well - a bit sloppy. I put them together and glued the crack after drilling out the hole and test fitted them. I couldn't leave them though and pulled them back out and went hunting for replacements in the servo drawer - no luck. Then I remembered the huge cross pieces in the kit and sure enough they are arms (Duh). Chunkiest arms I have ever seen around a heli of this size but with a little shaping they fit and are tight on the splines. There is a bit of play in the servo now when you move the arm - not much you can feel it. The new big arms are certainly aup for the job to drive the head directly - a bit ugly though.

Mounting the pair of servos looked easy from there. This is what that long bondhus driver is for - the motor is in the way and you have to hit the heads at an angle. The long 14 mm screws supplied in the kit are unfortunately not long enough and simply stripped 0.97 mm of thread out of the head block when I tried to tighten the first one - guess I should have checked the length before trying. The hole in the block is 3mm deep. The screw protrudes 0.97 mm from the pair of servos.

Next job is to cut down some 18 mm bolts to fit. I tied washers as spacers but it took a few and it looked odd.

There is no shock mounting allowed for these servos they are hard mounted to plactic and metal components and just touch the motor mount - not the best idea I would think - vibration coming from every angle.

Out of enthusiasm for the evening - must be Monday. Maybe later in the week, also caught my thumb in the plier jaws when I snapped off the thick wide excess arms - ouch - inch long blood blister

Servo installation so far - things to improve;

1) Make reference to the supplied servo arms in the manual (some nicer looking arms would be nice as well)
2) Supply bolts of the right length to mount the assembly.
3) Vibration isolation is non-existant, hard mounted servos are directly touching head and motor mount aluminum components?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	servo.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	135903   Click image for larger version

Name:	arms.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	135904   Click image for larger version

Name:	short.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	135905   Click image for larger version

Name:	arms and screw.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	135906  

Name:	test fitr.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	135907   Click image for larger version

Name:	modified armsr.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	135908  

Last edited by Tower; 01-26-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Tower
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Gaui X4 Build - Servos and Head part 2

Well I am stuck for now. But first the servos.

I shortened some 18 mm bolts and secured the two front servos. The rear head servo went in easily with the same oversized arms.

The rudder servo requires a long arm? My understanding of Gyro and rudder servo combinations is to keep those arms short. It won't work on this heli as designed because the rear cover plate and spacer block the exit for the rudder push rod if you use a short arm. You have to use a long one to clear the spacer and get the rod up near the boom? I have no idea how I am going to get the ball link on - it is covered up and very hard to access unless you take the arm off. This would not be too difficult but the long arm that came with the savox servo (see previous post) has more meat on it then the standard arms and the screw barely makes it through to the splined shaft and of course started to strip when tightened It is now CA'd to keep it from loosening - removable for sure but less than ideal.

The head and swash plate components are generally threadlocked. So far I have not been able to get the blade grips off. I have heated them and torqued them as much as I dare. They are not budging. I am concerned I will damage them or break a bolt and will be in touch with Gaui before going further.

Plus

The head does not fit on the main shaft - no way. I have lubricated the shaft - the hole is too small when you get about half way up the shaft. There is a partial shoulder there which is part of the compression/grip system. I suspect it will need to be drilled or milled out - Again I will be in contact with Gaui before Proceeding.

I am on hold.

Interesting - there are also quite a number of unused holes that look like they have redesigned things - the servos are not centered in the cut outs either - nothing like building on the leading (bleeding) edge
Also - not sure how i feel about having to threadlock servo screws. I hope they won't need heating to get out - plastic may not enjoy the experience.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	elevator.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	136194   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder 1.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	136195   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder 2.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	136196   Click image for larger version

Name:	hard to reach.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	136197  

Name:	head.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	136198   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	136199   Click image for larger version

Name:	extra holes.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	136200  

Last edited by Tower; 01-26-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #14
Tower
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Gaui X4 Build - Tail Assembly

I am on hold with the head but could not resist working on the tail!

The tail went together very well. The pictures tell the story. The only minor change I made was to glue the bearing to the torque rod as you do with that other manufacturer (something "in the sand", think about it ) - when I tried to insert it (as is) the bearing slid on the rod. 2 Drops of CA on the rod fixed that.

Everything turns smoothly and there is zero slop. The assembly leave the impression of being high quality, strong, light and simple. I really like the gear housing. It is one piece with a few attachments. I also like the the antirotation mechanisms - there is a solid screw and a rugged clamp that keep the mechanics from rotating on the boom.

The grips gave me a bit of concern at first because I was not sure how to get that lock nut off the shaft. I do not have a socket wrench that will fit down inside the grip. A pair of haemostats did a fine job. The bearings were dry and needed lubrication. They felt very smooth and lubricated before I took them apart - as always check everything!

Things to improve?

Nothing - very nice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	parts.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	136254   Click image for larger version

Name:	torque tube.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	136255   Click image for larger version

Name:	torque tube 2.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	136256   Click image for larger version

Name:	end gear 2.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	136258  

Name:	gears.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	136259   Click image for larger version

Name:	grips.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	136260   Click image for larger version

Name:	grip2.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	136261   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail .JPG
Views:	162
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	136263  

Name:	tail 1.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	136264   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail 2.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	136265  

Last edited by Tower; 01-26-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
4wdmt
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joel D

Total Props: 8

Great detailed posts Jeremey.

I really like those new Gaui tail assembly.
4wdmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Tower
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdmt View Post
Great detailed posts Jeremey.

I really like those new Gaui tail assembly.
Hey!
So do I. Very nicely done. I am really hoping I can find a solution quickly to the blade grip and head issue.
Cheers
Jeremy
Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
Tower
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Gaui X4 Build - Continuing Saga of the Head

The initial response from FH technical support has been unhelpful so far and I have begun trying to gather more information for GAUI.. (email to FH and Gaui)

"I continue to work on the problems with the head and shaft of the X4.
I baked the head in the oven and then used extra long hex keys and was able to get one grip (bolt) off. I have not been able to get the second one (bolt) off. I will likely need a new feathering shaft but will keep trying.

There is a clear change in diameter of the inside bore of the head. At this point I am wondering if there is an error on the drawings? It shows the shaft bolt going through the lower hole on the shaft. The head will go down just far enough , if forced, to reach the top hole as shown below. I have removed a lot of material from inside the head but with a drill press and by turning the drill manually, the change in inside diameter is significant however and I do not have a drill that will fit it perfectly?

I have also attempted to remove any burs on the main shaft that are causing a possible problem with 600 grit emery paper – this does not appear to make any difference."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Head and shaft.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	492.9 KB
ID:	136474  

Last edited by Tower; 01-27-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

I'm assuming the shaft does fit through the bearings of the body? So it is definitely a head block issue then?
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
Tower
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
I'm assuming the shaft does fit through the bearings of the body? So it is definitely a head block issue then?
Yes - perfect - Plus the shaft has the problem either way up - only goes so far.
There is a clear change of diameter of the hole inside the head.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #20
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

While it may be possible that it's designed to taper that way, it sounds like the drill did not go in deep enough. While it's probably possible to drill it out with the proper size bit, Gaui should definitely be replacing it.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
ar7200bx , gaui x4 , gaui x4 build , sab 430mm , savox sh-1357

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in