Computer power supplies - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 03-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136
Re: Computer power supplies

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Melnick View Post
Stegl,

Where did you buy the unit, sounds like a scookum deal and I may want to pick one up when I give up on the computer power supply? They used to be way more expensive but with new technologies they've really come down in price from what they were in the transformer days.

In my case I have an addiction to tinkering, part of the uphill battle that this hobby is at times. On occasion I look back and say what the heck did I do that for? Oh well, inherited it from my Dad I guess.

John
Did a buy it now on ebay ; coming in from HKG China. Or for 10 bucks more you there is a guy out of Minnesota sells the same thing.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #12
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91

Thank you.

jm
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
Leadfoot
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Steve B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ, JR 9303

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Just bought my switching power supply rated 12v at 30 amps .Voltage adjustable up to 13.2 volts ; fan cooled when amps go up and starts to warm up on higher draw.. Straight hookup no messing arround with wireing this wire to that puting bulbs in for loads to get it to work and that mucking arround. Cost $38 shipped.
Stegl,

Could you post a picture of how you have everything hooked up to one of these units? I saw them on ebay, but am a little confused as to how it is used.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

I'd like to offer you moral support, but I have questionable morals!
Leadfoot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
Stegl,

Could you post a picture of how you have everything hooked up to one of these units? I saw them on ebay, but am a little confused as to how it is used.

Thanks in advance!

Steve
Haven't received mine yet but supposedly the V+ is the positive and V- is the negative. Allows 3 sets of 12vdc hookups. Cumulative (total) current draw would the total of each hookup. Ie if V +1 you are drawing 10 amps ; V+2 you draw 8 amps ; and V+3 yor are drawing 4 amps ; the total power drawn = 22 amps.

The three lines to the right are your 110 vac hookup. Ground being self explanitory and then you have L-ive line in and N-eutral line in from the 3 wire AC cable . If you don't know how to wire the 110 volt AC I would suggest that you get an qualified electrician friend to do that for you. I would prefer to not be involved in that portion in case you wire backwards and get Zapped as the metal case must be grounded.

The units to my knowledge shipped from China do not have CSA approval stamps on them so they should not be left plugged in unattended ; the same as Lipos. Makes sense ?

I don't know the reliability of these units but I thought that it was worth a shot at, for the price
Old 03-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Have just finished hooking up my 12v power supply and bumped output voltage up to 13.25 volts using the internal pot. Hooked up two TP 1010c chargers and pulled about 10-12 amps total and unit barely got warm. (rated at 29 amps) The internal fan did not even come on so at reduced output this power supply (I am hoping) will last for ever .

Last edited by stegl; 04-10-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #16
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Hi John;
Got my 12v power supply and tweeked it to 13.25 volts and works like a hot dam. Plugged 2 TP 1010c chargers in and did a test charge drawing about 10 amps and units fan didn't even cut in so I guess drawing less than rated 29 amps won'te hurt the unit a bit . Will test later at chargers max 10 am rate each and see what happens. Better to have overcapacity on the PS and not push it to the max as it should last longer if running cooler
Old 04-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #17
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91

Excellent, thank you for the update.

jm
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in