Receiver Setup in Giant Scale Planes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

View Poll Results: What is your Prefered Method For Giant Scale Receivers???
Single RX Single Battery 6 16.22%
Single RX Twin Battery 16 43.24%
Double RX (Left Half and Right Half) 4 10.81%
Double RX (Mixed Surfaces) 2 5.41%
Double RX (RRS type sharing device) 0 0%
Powerbox SIngle Reciever 5 13.51%
Powerbox Double Reciever 1 2.70%
Other - Please explain in the thread... 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44
Receiver Setup in Giant Scale Planes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello everyone,

I wanted to get some input on different ways people are contolling these big birds. I wanted to see what is popular or working for people.

I know people who use single receivers and batteries all the way to redundant receivers batteries, power boxes, and everything in between. Do people use 2 receivers with different channels mixed or an rrs that allows them to be shared?

Please lets keep this thread about setup's and not a brand war.
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41
Re: Receiver Setup in Giant Scale Planes

Honestly Kevin, there are a multitude of ways to do a radio set up.
All have good points, and all have negatives if you dig.

You are most likely going to get a lot of different views and opinions. Everyone needs to keep that in mind. They are all just opinions.

I don't think any are really better than the next. Except for my way of course LOL

In all seriousness, the best way to set up "your" radio system is the way "you" have been setting up your radios in your other planes.
You know it, you are comfortable with it. It has worked for you. No new learning curves, no forgetting something because its different than all your other planes.

But thats just me. I tend to set up all my planes the same, functions are assigned to the same switches for every plane. That way I don't have to think " Am I forgetting something "

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
mogman
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
DX-18
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 12

Kevin, in my 40% Waco, I used 2 rx...left and right, two batt. and two switches per rx., throttle and choke servos on one rx, and ign kill sw. on the other.
Maybe a bit overkill, but I've a lot invested in that plane, so anything I can do to minimise the risk......

Cheers,
Dave.
mogman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
pjp01
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Jason P

Total Props: 0

Excellent question. I look forward to the replies.
A factor for me is the equipment that I currently possess. So until I get that JR 12X (oops, didn't mean to mention a brand), I have to work with a 9 channel setup. So now if I go to 2 ail/rud servos I need matchboxes or something.
I also used a IBEC this past season with no problem. so 2 battteries through a smartflt reg.
Interested to see other options.

Jason
pjp01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 21

How many servos are you going to be running?
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

Like Brendan said there are a lot of options but one thing for sure is two batteries for giant scale since you are more than likely using high end digital servos that suck power. I have used Smart Fly Power expanders and super regs with their ignition kill system for years. In my Aeroworks 35% 260 I use two 2300 mah LiIon for power and one with a regulator on ignition. The EQ6 Turbo is in my 43% J Tech Extra with two 5400 Mah Li Ion and a 2400 on ignition that powers 8 Hitec 7955s , and two futaba corelss digitals for choke and throttle and I can get about ten flights of three Advanced IMAC sequences per flight and the batteries still read about 7.4 volts on the mains.
For my PRO I think I will go with perhaps two 4800s and a 2400 on ignition with the SF Turbo. The Futaba S Bus system looks good too but I want to see one in action before I commit. Would still have the big batteries though.
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

One thing I didnt mention is that I use a single pin switch (smartfly ) that powers everything so one pull of the pin and everything is on. I do unplug the batteries when not flying since the Turbo will use some power even when switched off but I have forgotten them for over two weeks and the batteries still had lots of charge.
My reasoning here is that if the switch fails, I still have power unlike conventional switches that can fail to off
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91

With all my crashes two pilots, one of whom really knew what he / she was doing, would have solved my problem.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

In my 50cc I use a lipo on a Castle BEC to power my receiver and I use an a lipo on a Smartfly ignition reg for my ignition.

In my 100cc I was originally using a Spektrum PowerSafe receiver with dual 2s lipos and a separate 2s lipo on a Smartfly ignition reg on the ignition. Once my Hitec HV servos showed that they weren't going to work on HV (and when my PowerSafe receiver also stopped working) I put my PowerBox Evolution into the plane so I could run all my servos off my 7-channel receiver. It also runs on dual 2s lipos but the voltage is dumbed down to 6V.

My earliest setup on the 100cc was the PowerSafe receiver with a Zeus on the ignition, so I could just use the two receiver batts for everthing. The Zeus failed before I ever flew the plane, however, so that didn't work out.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

OK, Here are my set ups.
My 100cc Edge has a 9 channel powersafe receiver. I was running 2 LiIon packs unregulated. But when the Hitec HV issues surfaced. I dropped in a Smartfly regulator Pro to run 6 volts even into the receiver.
Of the 2 batteries, I have a tap off of one to an ignition switch, then optikill, then regulator set to 5 volts for the ignition. The second battery has a tap that goes to anothe switch, then to the smoke pump.

My 30cc used a single LiFe battery to power the whole plane.
I made a custom switch harness that had 3 servo leads off it. I ran 2 leads into the receiver and one lead to optikill, regulator ( 5v ) then ignition.
That plane didn't have an external kill for the ignition itself. If you hit the switch, you killed the whole plane.

My 50 cc I am putting together is a similar set up. A single LiFe for the whole plane Radio, ign, and a smoke pump if I put one in.

My Big Ultimate is going to use a JR 12 channel Powersafe receiver. It wil powered by 2 8400mah LiFe batteries. Like the 100 cc Edge, One battery will have a tap to power the smoke pump. The second battery will have a tap to power the ignitions. The plane has 14 servos in it 12 of which are for the flight surfaces. I realize 16800 mah's of capacity is a lot. But the plane is big and I don't want to be at an event having fun and starting to worry after 4 flights. But thats just me

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in