RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
mike vandusen
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
I would like to race GLORCS !

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was wondering if you guys could help me, I race RC Pro and it is great. I have been to a GLORCS race to whatch and it is a huge event,bigger than RC Pro. So what I am getting at is if I go to a GLORCS, I can only go Sunday because of work. My question is can you have a last chance quilifier for guys like me to get one shoot at placing in a spot? It is not a advantage because most of the racers have been there for one or two days laying down laps, and it is not because I am lazy and just didn't want to get there sooner, it is because I have to work. I know some of the guys Like Ben W can start in the bottom main and work there way up but I am not that lucky, for that you need alot of help, skill and $$. So what do you think, am I stuck or is there a way to do this. Thanks for reading this

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
imported_tire_tec
RCC Senior Contributor

I too am in the same boat.
-HPI BLITZ
-Team Associated B4

Johnny
-HotBodies VE8
-Team Associated B4.1
-FT Team Associated SC10
imported_tire_tec is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
imported_BBFBCAP
RCC Supreme Contributor

I have a feeling your going to be doomed in respect to showing up ON race day and being granted a qualifier. It's simply not done!

Your more than welcome to arrive and be in the bottom of the last main, and hope to bump your way up (I think) like Abiye did last year. Arrived, and bumped from the F main all the way up to the B main I believe it was, then sadly something went wrong with his car and he was done!

IF you do this, you'd BETTER make sure your equipment is in top form and ready for a lot of abuse, because your going to be running NON STOP if you end up bumping.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe this is the case!

Someone can
imported_BBFBCAP is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
mike vandusen
RCC Senior Contributor

Well I hope someone else can find a loop hole in this because it is too hard to find that many people to marshel for me and I don't have that many reciver packs or radio packs. I thinkthere are a bunch of us out there that are stuck in this delema,maybe nota lot but a few. This is not F1 racing but it is all I got. Next!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
mike vandusen
RCC Senior Contributor

Think about this, if it was a racer that was in the top points race and for some reson (sick,money,family,job) could only make the Sunday is it fair to those racers to scrap all that seasons hard work, all that time and money? So if he was in the top 5 or 10 overall and this happened near the end of the season and he misses out making it to the A main because he had to race 5 or 6 back to back to back to back etc. Where will that leave that A-main racer at he end of the year? I come from a long line of racing from bicycle to mx and I think this should be looked at a little closer, I just hope our sport has not grown that much already.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
imported_BBFBCAP
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vandusen View Post
I just hope our sport has not grown that much already.
Ummmm...Did you REALLY just say that???
Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
imported_BBFBCAP
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vandusen View Post
Think about this, if it was a racer that was in the top points race and for some reson (sick,money,family,job) could only make the Sunday is it fair to those racers to scrap all that seasons hard work, all that time and money? So if he was in the top 5 or 10 overall and this happened near the end of the season and he misses out making it to the A main because he had to race 5 or 6 back to back to back to back etc. Where will that leave that A-main racer at he end of the year? I come from a long line of racing from bicycle to mx and I think this should be looked at a little closer, I just hope our sport has not grown that much already.

One more thing...

Are YOU going to tell the guy who busted his hump FOR 3 DAYS and just made the A-Main by .671 of a second over the pole in the B main that because Joe Schmo just arrived like Batman, he's taking your spot? Oh, and be sure to tell the pole guy in the B that he just got pushed to 2nd spot and had his chances reduced to get the bump UP to the A.

Good luck to you mate...and you better be wearing your football gear when you do it!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Stalker
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jeff F

A lot of times I've been to races when you can infact do what you are asking (not GLORCS, I've yet to race one for various reasons) but they run a rocket round qualifying - meaning it's just your single best qualifier that counts, not the total of 2+ as I think GLORCS is.

Some people like rocket rounds, some don't... both ways have advantages and disadvantages but in the end it's whatever the race directors/organizers feel is the appropriate solution I suppose...
Caster ZX1.5R Pro, EX1.5R Pro, SK10 Pro
Stuck to the dirt by VP Pro Tires
Stalker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
big_bg
RCC Apprentice

Fair

Glorcs is built on a 3 day system, Practice Friday, Qualify Saturday, Race Sunday, obviously Friday is largely optional although is essential to all but the best racers since most need it to learn the track. Having a last second qualifier on Sunday is largely unfair to all the people who spent all weekend trying to make the higher mains then simply to get bumped by a guy who showed up Sunday morning really sucks. If you get 8-10 fairly fast guys showing up Sunday morning potentially you could bump the guy who raced all weekend from the B to the bottom of the C then force him to try to bump up. The fact is racing is expensive, if you are willing to spend 200 for a hotel for 2 days, then all the wear and tear on your vehicle such as tires, fuel and broken pieces you shouldn't be disadvantaged by having a fast guy show up Sunday saving all the money on hotels and only having to put two runs on a set of tires. I know if i was one of the best and knew the track i would simply show up Sunday and save hundreds of dollars a race weekend.
I understand your argument that your not the best racer so it's not like your going to just make the A but the problem is how do you distinguish, and being racing anything can happen. Your argument about not having to run round after round should be positive, if i was paying full entry for 1 day i would like to run multiple rounds if i thought i could bump up otherwise you could run a 5 minute qualifier putting you in the D then run the main for 10 minutes and that's it.
The analogy that a top racer if something comes up can't make the points up is false, his season isn't done. Glorcs counts your best 3 races (I believe) so if something comes up and you have to miss a race then you still have make up races + the finals.
I'm not 100% sure on this but i also believe that Glorcs uses Qual points at some or all events which gives people points based on where they finished in their qualifying races, the only way to put someone in a main is for them to start in the back because they have 0 points, even if they did one round of qualifying on Sunday you would still be behind as points are taken from multiple races.
big_bg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
mike vandusen
RCC Senior Contributor

Thanks for a great answer big bg. These are some of the things I needed to know. As you can see it will be hard for some new racers to join GLORCS but I am going to try to get out to a race to try my way up through the system. I was not trying to be cheap or even a short cut, I just work alot in the summer. One last thing, will they still let me start Sun in the last main?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in