Cc3d fc - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15
Cc3d fc

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Anyone here have the CC3D flight controller? I'm interested in getting one. Here's a very good video of the CC3D in action. The pilot has superb flying skills.

buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Mark L @ FL

Total Props: 0
Re: Cc3d fc

90% of that video is pilot skill not the CC board. You could probably get the same results with a KK2 or multiwii board in rate/manual mode.

The CC3D is a nice board for sure but I think it is a bit overhyped to be honest for the features it has (no altitude hold or GPS Position hold/RTH functionality possible). They have a nice GUI software interface but tuning still comes down to adjusting PIDs much like with multiwii. They are also hard to come by, I believe the first batch sold out and the last "kickstarter" order is now closed. I had a couple of the original CC versions that I sold most off now, I have one CC left and have not used it in ages. Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice small board and solid overall, but at over $100+ shipped it is not the best value today IMHO but certianly worth a try if you have never used one before.

(For disclosure - I use to be directly involved with the project and the Canadian distributor but no longer have any involvement with OP due to various internal issues)
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

I have two CC3Ds and just installed and tweaked on on a X525 quad. This is my first experience with the OP software. I currently have flown KK5.5, KK2, Naze32 (Baseflight, a Multiwii branch), and Freeflight. I also have an OP Revo on order.

I have to echo a lot of what Mark has said. Although the software and firmware is very nice, the board includes gyros and accelerometer for sensors, so it is limited by the hardware. The KK2 is technically the same in capability.

Having tuned all these boards, the approach for the CC3D with GCS is similar to that for MWC with the Naze32, although the OP product does it with more polish. The OP CC3D and GCS feel like a sophisticated, quality, commercial product, while the MWC feels more like a community developed product. Based on this limited experience, I think that the OP product is wonderful and will be more enjoyable and reliable to use, but it's capabilities are comparable to the KK2 in purely utilitarian terms.

The KK2 is easier to use thanks to it's simple LCD interface and the recent firmware seems to perform well in autolevel mode. However, the CC3D/GCS combo has more options for the power user and the GCS enables telemetry (assuming you add wireless modem set) which is pretty darned cool.

The new kickstarter approach that the OP project has recently used will certainly enlarge the community of installed users. I think this is a good move.

Before I bought my CC3Ds, I spent a lot of time on the OP forum getting a sense of the community and what they are about. I learned about their values, what drives the project and why things are the way they are. I recommend that anyone considering an OP board take the time to understand the project and community.

When you get an OP board, you are really commiting to a philosophy and a community. You are not just buying a board. They are not commercially motivated, and this drives their decisions. As a community, they expect that the members will get involved and contribute in any way they can. This may require a bit of adjustment in your thinking. In this sense, an OP board is not for everyone.

Compare and contrast this to the Naze32 and baseflight which is produced and managed by timecop. You get a different flavour with no expectation of participation - in fact, timecop incorporates what interests him, not necessarily what the users want (but he does listen). The Naze32 basically has the same hardware specs (less the radio modem) as the upcoming OP Revo, and has some of the same quality benefits by virtue of timecop managing it to his standards. The Naze32 has been available for months and does GPS navigation. I feel it's a little safer than the main Multiwii branch because timecop controls it and has high standards.

PIDs are PIDs and so far there isn't an easy way to configure them for the variety of conditions encountered in the field. In this respect, all of the flight controllers I've mentionned still require that the user understand how to tweak PIDs. This is not an easy thing to master. Adding to the magnitude of this task is that eash sensor on a flight controller basically uses it's own PIDs which need to be tweaked individually.

I have learned that anything more than gyros is overkill for sport flying. Period.

GPS, magnetometers, barometers and sonar sensors are all neat, but add in configuration complexity. Getting good results is not easy and requires pretty deep technical knowledge.

In my opinion, the KK2 board with the latest firmware is probably the best bet for nearly all users who want to sport fly. There is no expectation on the user, it has arguably the simplest interface, performs very well, costs only $30 and is readily available.

If you want to dstart out with AP or lack techical skills (or just don't want to be bothered), there`s always the DJI Naza or it's more expensive brother, the WKM. They`re as close to plug and play as you can get today, but be prepared to shell out for that convenience.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Mark L @ FL

A lot of the the "community" and "non commercial" is a bit overhyped. Things are not all as appear on the outside, it has gone though a lot of internal issues recently, for example many of the core developers were against the preorder for Revo, some have actually left the project and are forking the source as a result.

Having been on both sides of the OP wall, all is not what it seems, as with any community it has it's good and bad points, and don't believe everything you read.

Up until just recently the entire "preorder" concept was completely against all OP stood for, they even openly criticized other projects, mostly DIYD, of taking money before shipping. Why this suddenly changed is a surprise to many.

There are lots of great people involved with OP and some less than great people with some big egos, and the project ebbs and flows on the mood of some of those in charge.

Hopefully they turn things around but right now there seems to be a lot of rumblings. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Well taken Mark. Just more fodder for the KK2 recommendation if you just want a good performing FC with no strings.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Mark L @ FL

Don't let me my opinion stop anyone using the CC3D, it is certainly a great board for what it is. Definitively worth trying first hand to compare to others if nothing else.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

I have a line on a CC3D so thats covered. I just want a board to have some fun with and I have all winter to read up. I was thinking the naze32 also and perhaps will get one to try out. I'm not looking for gps or other features, I have two MK's with all the bells and whistles. I have a good understanding of PID's with my MK experience. I also have a WKM, in a box, until a solid working FW is released. The KK board looks good too. I just want to expand my knowledge and have some fun along the way.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Mark L @ FL

The CC certainly follows the same basic tuning logic as the multiwii and others with the PIDs, so there is definitely benefit in learning on a new platform as a lot of the knowledge can be applied in general terms across the hobby. If you have easy access to one I'd definitely grab one to play with.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

I`m just finding that I have too many FCs and too little time. Learning about each one takes a big investment in time. Using and maintaining several ones requires major time commitments. It`s fun and interesting, but I seem to spend less and less time actually flying.

My family commitments currently take priority over my hobbies. My teenagers will be out on their own in 6 or 7 years - then I can play. Just imagine how much things will have changed by then!!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Mark L @ FL

Sounds lie we are both in the same boat Between work and life there isn't much time left for play and to tune PIDs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in