H9 Twist - Opinions? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
David_Moen

Total Props: 0
H9 Twist - Opinions?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all,

Looking for something fun, easy to pack around and cheap to fly off of skis. The twist seems to fit the bill, what do you think?
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
Handy
RCC Noob

I am: Norm B
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

I am on my second twist, just loved the first one, although it is fragile right at the rear of the wing, I reiforced mine before I first flew it based on feedback from RCU, flew great until I lost battery. will do every manuever you can think of.
My second one seems to fly different than the first, even though all set ups are identical, still, a great airplane for the money, you can't even build one this light for this money.

Go for it.

Norm
Old 12-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
skypupnut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
I fly mine with a Saito 72
166 flights to date, not the greatest for knife edge flight, too much rudder to ail coupling, could probably be trimmed out.
can`t be beat for the money.
tried one with a Saito 82, wow what a blast. much better power out of vertical. it is always in the truck. I also fly it when the wind is too high to fly the other stuff what a blast. keeps your fingers nimble
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
wazungu

Hi Dave you saw me and Rory flying our Twists at SLAM in August and all I can say is if you're into snaps spins atc at high rates they are a blast to fly. I have torture tested mine doing multiple FULL power blenders with a GMS 61 for power and it hasn't come apart yet! For the price, they are a great plane to fly. Suffice to say if I were to wreck this one I would buy another!!! One of your MVVS 49s would be just great in it. Also at low rates she tames down and can do more conventional aerobatics.
wazungu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41
Dave,

Get an OMP profile and stick a 49 on it. That's what I did and you won't be dissapointed. This thing was a blast to fly off skis. (Oh Ya... we did get a bit of snow down here....)

The twists are easy to fly but have some really bad habits. I test flew one for a guy recently who had his rudder badly out of trim and it was almost unmanageable with all of the couping.

Cheers,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lowpass_221.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	12847  
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauld
Dave,

Get an OMP profile and stick a 49 on it. That's what I did and you won't be dissapointed. This thing was a blast to fly off skis. (Oh Ya... we did get a bit of snow down here....)

Paul
how much are those to your door?
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Russ,

The plane was cheap since I picked it up on a sale with free shipping inside the U.S. I had it shipped to a hotel on a buisness trip and then carried it back on the plane. I think it only cost me 115 US.

I don't normally order from the US with shipping to Canada due to the high prices they charge. I usually have it shipped to a p.o. box in Sumas and then drive across to pick it up. I have to pay GST/PST that way but you do no matter what.

I like the way the profiles fly though and once you've flown them you'll never go back to a "fatty" in a 40 size plane. The Katana is a hovering fool....

Paul

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 PM   #8
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

I've never flown a profile other than foamies but I would imagine they are head and shoulders better. I just figured they would be in the 180 - 220 dollar range by the time they got here. Thats why I ordered a twist also. $120can is hard to beat for a thrash beat the heck out of plane. When I head down south for IMAC I'll see if I can get one.
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #9
CP140

Paul,

Was the Twist you test flew the same one Jack rebuilt? I know it wasn't mine!
CP140 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:53 PM   #10
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Yep,

It was Jack's. He actually took off with it and it was all over the sky. He just kinda shoved the transmitter at me and I managed to bring it around. I also flew a guy's a RCFCBC who was complaining he couldn't get it to knife edge and found it would just roll and tuck the lower wing trying to go inverted. The reaction on either plane was not a subtle one.

I also had a Magic that would do this as well.

In contrast, I have flown my profiles in knife edge from one end of the field to the other without any coupling. I even dragged the wing tip on the ground last weekend and flew out of it. Just no comparison IMO. The reason I consider this important as it effects many other manuvers that you want to perform.

You can't beat the price of those Twists though....

Paul

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in