Why the 7th Channel? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 05-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
Droptanks
RCC Noob

I am: Dan B
Radio of choice:
Dx6
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Why the 7th Channel?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Looking at Trex 500L req 7ch and 500X only req 6ch. What is the 7th channel for?
Droptanks is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 20
Re: Why the 7th Channel?

Have you checked the manuals ?
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
Droptanks
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Dx6

Can't really tell from the manuals. I'm new to heli. Why the 7th channel at all on this type of electric heli?

Old 05-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptanks View Post
Can't really tell from the manuals. I'm new to heli. Why the 7th channel at all on this type of electric heli?
Found it in the manual. There are more controls needed on the 500L system as that has a flybarless head were the Trexx 500 has the flybar. If this is your first heli and new at it , I would recommend a fly bar type head type heli as it is less complex to set up. The flybarless head is for advanced heli pilots or if you have an local experienced heli pilot to do the setup and initial flight testing and trimming.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum. The reason helicopters have the option for the seventh channel is for use of a governor to have a consistant head speed. You have an idle up switch on the transmitter where you set you throttle curves "head speed" the seventh channel is where you use the governor pickup to control the head speed. You do not need this option as you can use throttle curves to control the head speed.
As far as a fly bar goes.... they don't make them any more. Flybarless is quite easy to setup , there are several brands some are simple and others are more complex.
If you need some help please ask.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/flybarless.html
A little more input into flybarless vs flybar. Once setup by an experienced heli flyer
will help its all in the extra electronics needed for flybarless heads.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 156

Governor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
Droptanks
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Dx6

Thanks for the replies guys! I've seen Governor feature in some ESC's, would going through the radio system be advantageous? Do people switch to different head speeds in flight? I'm no 3D pilot and don't ever intend to be. Will I be able to get by on larger Helis with just a DX6?

Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Hey Dan, yes you can use six channels for any full collective helicopters. Setting throttle curves as I said works , head speed can change with more or less pitch being inputted, therefore the governor keeps the headspeed as stable and consistant as possible. If you are a sport flyer there is no need for a governor on electric heli's. Nitro's can overspeed and snap a connecting rod etc... therefore the governor shuts the throttle to keep it consistant.
So if you don't care about a slight drop or increase, which is common you just set your throttle curves to the desired target speed.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

I have a trex 500E , throttle curves, normal mode 0-40-65-65-65, Idle one 81-80-80-80-81. Idle two 85-84-83-84-85. You see as you increase collective you add a slight amount of power to help so the head doesn't bog down. Also as you are learning, make sure your throttle hold is set to zero, once you are just above the ground hit the throttle hold and set it down. This will start your learning of an autorotation landing. Also doing this if you tip over the motor has no power "hence" the dreaded chicken dance, where the heli beats itself to death while you frantically try tofind that switch to shut it off. I started 10-12 inches from the ground at auto's , with my 700E I can auto from 400 feet up and cover a half kilometer on final, or dive then pull it into a loop and land etc. All in the learning curve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.