71" Brian Taylor Mosquito Build - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Calum
RCC Apprentice

I am: Calum M
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 0
71" Brian Taylor Mosquito Build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
During the summer I was talking to another fellow (Ward) in the Huronia club about a good project to build. We decided on the DH Mosquito.

I did some research to see what was available and I came up with the Brian Taylor plans as best to suit my requirements. It was decided that I would build the 71" plane and Ward would build the 81" plane.

Both of these plans represent different versions of the Mosquito.

I ordered the plans and short kits from Traplet and started the collection process of all the bits and pieces that would be required to build the model.

I have fabricated and partially assembled the undercarriage, the tail wheel retract and some of the linkages.

I have not decided yet on the engines. The original design used OS Max .25 FSR engines. I have two of these on hand. I also have two ASP .60 four stroke engines that would fit the bill.

The advantage to the OS engines would be that they would completely fit in the cowls, while the ASP engines will stick out the bottom a fair bit. Also the two .25's are much lighter.

The disadvantage would be the sound of the 2 strokes running at high revs turning smaller propellers.

I plan on using an engine synchroniser for this plane. I saw one being used at the field with great success.

I will post some pictures later.
MAAC #17845
Calum
Calum is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Rob
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rob

Re: 71" Brian Taylor Mosquito Build

Hey Calum here is some insperation to help you on your building project. I flew this mosquito in both videos posted on the link. it is a real nice plane to fly. I cant remember the specs on this particular plane but can get it is you are interested. It is electric powered flies on a 6s 5000mah pack.
http://owensoundbarnstormers.weebly.com/
Old 12-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 24

Mossie is hard to build without ending up with tail heavy. The 4s would help that.
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
JohnA
RCC Apprentice

I am: John A

Total Props: 2

Since the mosquito is liquid cooled with the rads in the wing, there are no large air intakes that you can use to get cooling air to the .25 engines contained in the cowels. So the 60s hanging in the air may not be scale but would solve your cooling problems with the 25s. The ultimate solution is the MVVS 58cc liquid cooled gas engine, but unfortunately its too large.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVVS liquid cooled.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	227502  
JohnA is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

I'm on my second Brian Taylor Mossie, 81 in, as well as a Don Smith 109 in Mossie. Just picked up the Parkzone 48in span Mossie as well. Hmm, not sure what that means, lol, other than I'll be watching your thread.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 10

Dave bought a foamy?? There's a sure sign of a Mossie fan!
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Well I do have a pair of foam spits as well, latest is the Ultra Micro Spit, which is a blast to fly. Perfect for any small space outdoors.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Calum
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Hey Calum here is some insperation to help you on your building project. I flew this mosquito in both videos posted on the link. it is a real nice plane to fly. I cant remember the specs on this particular plane but can get it is you are interested. It is electric powered flies on a 6s 5000mah pack.
http://owensoundbarnstormers.weebly.com/
Hello Rob, that's a nice looking plane that you have. It sure looks good in the air and on the ground. It flies smoothly giving the impression of a larger model. thanks for the video

Calum
MAAC #17845
Calum
Old 12-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Calum
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwavesdave View Post
I'm on my second Brian Taylor Mossie, 81 in, as well as a Don Smith 109 in Mossie. Just picked up the Parkzone 48in span Mossie as well. Hmm, not sure what that means, lol, other than I'll be watching your thread.
Hey Dave, I was reviewing your mossie thread when you were in the process of deciding which plan to use and this had some influence on my decision. I did not want a huge model, it would be too difficult to transport but if I went too small the model could appear to be squirrely. I guess the 71" plan should be just right. I have ordered the Revell plastic kit to use as a reference while building.
MAAC #17845
Calum
Old 12-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I do the same, always get a good plastic kit, and tons of documentation. If you need anything specific, let me know, I've got a pile of books on the Mossie. I'm doing the Don Smith one for a friend, it's a bit too big for me, shop and trailer are pretty full. The Brian Taylor is great. I picked up the canopy for it, also comes with the bomber nose, which I won't be doing on mine. I really need to retire, so I can work on planes full time!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.