Charging LiPo Transmitter Battery - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
stuntman
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff S
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Charging LiPo Transmitter Battery

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have just bought a Zippy 2S 2500 mah 11.1 V battery for my Futaba 9 CAPS transmitter. Since this is my first lipo battery, I am looking for guidance on the following issues

-what is the amp charge rate that I should use to charge this battery.

-should I charge it in the transmitter or remove it.

-how low should I let the voltage go before charging it

I have a Triton EQ charger
stuntman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
stuntman
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff S
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 10

Re: Charging LiPo Transmitter Battery

Correction- the battery is a 3S
stuntman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Jeff_D
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jeff D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntman View Post
I have just bought a Zippy 2S 2500 mah 11.1 V battery for my Futaba 9 CAPS transmitter. Since this is my first lipo battery, I am looking for guidance on the following issues

-what is the amp charge rate that I should use to charge this battery.

-should I charge it in the transmitter or remove it.

-how low should I let the voltage go before charging it

I have a Triton EQ charger
If you charge at 1C, in your case 2.5 amps, you won't have any trouble at all. A li-po cell should not be discharged below 3volts, That is 9 volts total on your 3 cell pack.
Let me say this however. You will find many people using li-po 3-cell packs for thier TX, but if the Pack does not have some sort of voltage regulation or reduction, you run the risk of component failure in your TX. It might not happen right away, but the 12.6 volts coming from a 3s li-po is going to drive up operating temperatures of some of the electronic components. I have seen increases of 25 degreesC. A simple fix is to run 3 diodes in series. This will drop the voltage from the battery to a safe operating level for your TX.
Jeff_D is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
kwm
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Keith M

Total Props: 9

With the lipo pack you will probably go all summer before you have to charge again, depending on how much you fly, just keep an eye on the voltage reading on you tx an do not go below 9.6 volts.
kwm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Rod
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Roderick M.
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: 25

There are four members of our club as well as myself that are using 3S LiPo packs in our transmitters without any additional electronics, ( that I know of). A 3S Lipo will give you about 11.4 volts under the load of a transmitter. All of the members I have mentioned are very happy with the LiPo/transmitter combinations. The main advantage is that the LiPo has a very low self discharge and will hold it's charge.
We all charge the battery at a 1C rate ouside of the transmitter.
Rod is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Jeff_D
RCC Apprentice

All I wanted to do is make people aware that they could be damaging thier TX and won't know it until it is too late. Also, the higher the 'C' rating of the li-po will will result in a higher voltage output while the pack is under the load of the TX. A fully charged 3s 20C pack can easily have over 12 volts while under load from your TX. I have done tests using a calibrated Fluke meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
There are four members of our club as well as myself that are using 3S LiPo packs in our transmitters without any additional electronics, ( that I know of). A 3S Lipo will give you about 11.4 volts under the load of a transmitter. All of the members I have mentioned are very happy with the LiPo/transmitter combinations. The main advantage is that the LiPo has a very low self discharge and will hold it's charge.
We all charge the battery at a 1C rate ouside of the transmitter.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
S1Pitts
RCC Contributor

I am: Ken Relkoff
Radio of choice:
PCM 10X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_D View Post
A simple fix is to run 3 diodes in series. This will drop the voltage from the battery to a safe operating level for your TX.
A value or part # for said diodes would be great. I'm contemplating switching over my JR 10X & would like to take the correct precautions.
Cheers
KR
S1Pitts is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
IAR 80
RCC Contributor

I am: Ovidiu M.

Total Props: 0

I'm using 3s LiPo in 2 tx's , a Hitec Optic, and a Spektrum DX6.I dont use any diodes, which btw are 1N 4001,...4005.The Hitec ( 72 Mhz) becomes warm, Spectrum not at all.I'm contemplating the diode way, for Hitec.
Untill then, I charge the bttery at storage settings, always outside of Tx.
As stated before, keep an eye on the voltage, as the default alarm for low voltage is to low for LiPo.
IAR 80 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Jeff_D
RCC Apprentice

The 1N400X series of diodes work fine. They can handle a 1 amp load with no problem. I haven't found a TX that would exceed that load. Another benefit of the diode is that you can rely on your TX low voltage alarm and protect your battery from over discharge.

Eg. My Futaba will sound an alarm at 8.4 volts. The voltage at the battery pack would be around 10.5 volts. Each diode has a voltage drop of .7 volts.

I am going to make a bunch of these up and in the near future, I will have Jeff at thunderboltrc.com carry the adapter with the diodes.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Jeff_D
RCC Apprentice

I set up a meter along with my TX to show how much the diodes will drop the voltage. You can see with a battery voltage of 12.57 volts the TX is only seeing 10.2 volts. Any one interested in a pre-made atapter as in the photo, send me a PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8721.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	72479   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8719.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	72480  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in