TRex 600 help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Wayne_K
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Wayne K

Total Props: 5
TRex 600 help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am finishing my TRex 600 and the JR 600mm Wood blades are too thick for my blade holders.

Am I missing something obvious here?

I would like to take the blades back to my LHS but I bought the whole package at a close out sale, and he is basically out of business.

Is there a safe and effective way to fix this, and aren't the blade holders a common size?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wayne

PS I know FG and CF blades are much better, I will get a set later. For now I just want to start hovering this big bird...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCN0852.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	37644   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCN0853.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	37645   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCN0854.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	37646  
Wayne_K is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: TRex 600 help

Wayne it looks like the blade holders are closed in a bit at the bolt end will the blades not slide in if you try to put just a little presure on them it looks very close as ther are 12mm and 14 mm holders and it is way to close to be wrong....
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
Wayne_K
RCC Senior Contributor

The blade holders on the TRex are indeed 12 mm. The JR blades are 14mm thick - your numbers seem correct.

The blade holders are dead straight at 12mm and won't budge - very solid. I know my poor photo makes it look very close, but its actually 2mm difference.

Does this mean they're incompatible? Do they make 14 mm TRex blade holders? Better yet, can I buy thinner plastic blade grips for the JR blades, and can these be changed?

Arrgg.

Wayne

Old 09-08-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
kwm
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Keith M

Total Props: 9

If this is the electric 600 do not even think of mounting wood blades, they will tear apart on you. Look in the instructions and they even say not to use wood blades, only fiberglass or carbon.
kwm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Wayne_K
RCC Senior Contributor

I have looked in the instructions. And i have followed them EXACTLY in the construction of this helo.

I could see no mention of glass over wood blades.

It is the electric version. Can you please explain why that would that make a difference with the blades. Also, can you please tell me where it says we cannot use wood blades in the TRex 600e instructions?

I am a new to helos and I want to get this right so any help is appreciated.

W

Last edited by Wayne_K; 09-08-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
HeliDoc

Total Props: 0

WayneK

I see you are from Alberta.

There are a lot of Trex flyers in the Edmonton Area. Check out the ERCHA web site or the Area 51 web site...or better still, visit one of them for some hands on help.
HeliDoc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Wayne_K
RCC Senior Contributor

Thanks Heli Doc.

I'll look into it. Any thoughts on the blades?

W
Old 09-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
G-copterbous-funk
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John Appleseed

Total Props: 0

You can use wooden blades on most any 50 spec helicopter provided they are buiilt correctly. Just don't spin them past 1800 rpm or so. The roots do have to fit correctly and yours do not. You'll need to buy other blades. Raptor 50 wooden blades with a 12mm root will work as will glass or carbon. Wooden blades will loop roll and flip however glass do it better and smoother, plus theyauto better.

It is correct that the kit does recommend not to use woodies but on the other hand Align glass blades have failed in the past during flight when initially entering the market place (tip weights thrown). While not wide spread it happened more than with woodies. The problem has been rectified some time ago. Point is anything can have a failure by manufacturing method, application or build. I've used 600 woodies on Raptors in the past at 1800 with no structural issues for basic aerobatics and flying. Entry level glass units are pretty cheap these days, since you'll need new blades they should be factored in. Try Great Hobbies tech line for assistance.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742823

Stephen

Last edited by G-copterbous-funk; 09-08-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: extra info
G-copterbous-funk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Wayne_K
RCC Senior Contributor

Thanks, Stephen. Your info matches everything I've read on the subject. And I have done some reading. In fact, I've already seen that thread, but I thank you for posting it nonetheless.

AHA! I just found where it says "we recommend you to choose safe main blades with a good brand, reputation. We recommend you do not use general wooden blades..." That is a direct quote. My bad, I missed it. I truly thought I had memorized this manaul.

BTW, with a handle like that, Mr. Funk, who could dispute what you have to say.

Another question, how does one ensure that they are getting 12 mm blades vice 14 mm?

-Thanks

W

Last edited by Wayne_K; 09-08-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in