wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Will P
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
New HK battery for um planes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Looks pretty promising:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10980

The good:
160mah, 30C, $2.49.

The bad:
stock: -1039

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
avroarrow4ever
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michael B

Total Props: 0
Re: New HK battery for um planes

Hi, I am not familiar with the UM plane compatability, so please forgive if what I am about to write does not work with the eflite/parkzone stuff...but....HK does have this battery, obviously not as good (138mAh, 10c), but dirt cheap ($1.49) and apparently 14365 in stock ...and it is made for the minimum, which the other battery says is compatible to as well....

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8864

Oddly enough, it is listed in the 15c section, but the data says 10c...

Heck, for this price the UM planes are starting to look better!!

Just wanted to share the info.....
Old 02-13-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

The 138mah batteries are more like 110mah, and don't deliver enough current for the mSR, mustang, sukhoi, um 4site.

If these new ones are able to deliver more current(even if its really only a 130mah 20C battery), then they'll have the punch needed for the hotter motors. They sound comparable to the new hyperion batteries, but at 1/3rd of the cost!

Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

I think it's more like a lottery. Many people, including myself, are using the old 138mah on Msr and micro parkzone planes. Sure, you're far from an original E-flite battery, but somehow, if you're lucky, you get 5 minutes instead of 6 minutes, which, for the price, is quite acceptable. Shoot, I even flew the Mustang outdoor recently with those flightmax (I use a small mitten to keep the battery warm on the airplane). Was only getting about 3 minutes max, but hey, can't complaint.

So I think that those new battery will likely be like the flightmax. We could see anything from 110mah 10C to 140mah 25C. As you and everybody else is thinking, sure enough, we won't get anything close to what the specification is telling us. But they should be a great thing for our micro toys no matter what, though.

What's truly impressive is the fact that they claim we could charge them at 10C!!! (1.6Amps, without cooking an egg on such a small package!) So, if we can truly charge them that badly, they should definitively be able to give back some kick for sure. They cannot "exagerate" on that specification because they could blow out, so, this in my book, it's a very good sign...

Last edited by Real Gambler; 02-14-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Real Gambler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

I find the flightmax batteries(even when warm) can't handle the current draw in the mSR if you're really zipping around. I find after a couple minutes, if I go to WOT, they just totally die. If I land, then take off again they're fine, but I have to stay away from WOT.

I find the same with the mustang, flying at 1/2-2/3 throttle is great, too much at WOT and it hits HLVC.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

Did you buy only one batch from them? Because I can fly my Msr at WOT, with dual rates and agressive link set-up for a full 5 minutes. When they get HLVC, I cannot get airborne anymore. I still have a few E-flites in the mix, and now, I have a hard time telling the difference. Mine likely came out of a lucky batch. Somehow, it does seem like they are worst in my Mustang, but I only fly it outside, so far mostly getting no wind when it's -10C, so nothing to help them. Sure enough though, the Eflite seem to do better in cool temperature (again, both with a little mit to protect them form the cold)
Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

I've got 10 batteries, all ordered at once. Some are better than others(a couple are 100% fine), one is brutal, can't get above 3/4 throttle at all with it in the mSR.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

Ouch, would have expected same results, bad or good, for any batch bought together. Mine are relatively consistent even if they come from two small batches. Looking forward to see what will happen with the 160mah. I have 250gr of those coming in (don't remember the exact number, but whatever would fit in their 250gr package). Crossing fingers badly now! Sadly, I'm in that -1000 backorder (ordered around -400), and we have to wait for the Chineese new year festivities to be over...

Edit: Backorder is now sitting pretty at -1418. Wow, even at only $2.49, that's $3500 worth of business right there. That's either a lot of happy, or very unhappy customers.

Last edited by Real Gambler; 02-15-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

The back order fell back to -20 today, but my order still say "processing". Maybe they simply resetted the number because people didn't want to order when B/O was sitting at 1500... But hopefully, it's a good sign, and my order should ship soon.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
marcham
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

... nope they just reset the count to -1 ... pretty common for them!

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem starts looking like nail!
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in