installing ESC with a BEC - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
MADMX
RCC Noob

I am: Dale M

Total Props: 0
installing ESC with a BEC

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello guys I am a noob at installing new ESC with a BEC so i need your help .I was going to go with Castle Creations CCBEC, 10 Amp http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Adjustable-BEC and this ESC http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e07-proton-60a-opto.html if there is a better combo from one dealer or any dealer please let me know this is the first time I have had to bye and install these.I just got the Airfields 1400mm T28 and from what i have read the guys that are flying this RC said to change the stock 50a ESC and add a better ESC with a BEC .Also guys if theres a good Video or diagram on how to install these let me know please
MADMX is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: installing ESC with a BEC

here you go.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html#

See half way down and click on the wiring diagram for a larger version.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
philipa_240sx
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

MADMX,

The ExceedRC Proton ESC you've chosen is one of my favorites. They are great for the price.

You can also buy your UBEC (UBEC=BEC) from Hobbypartz as well:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ubec.html

And don't forget battery connectors!

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 01-31-2012 at 03:07 PM.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Running a separate BEC solves a couple of problems associated with having one onboard the ESC. First is that any heat generated by a hard working ESC can cause thermal shutdown of the BEC portion, robbing your radio system of power and you of control of the craft.

On that note most onboard BEC's are rated only for 2-3A. This is fine for smaller craft, but lacking when you work with higher servo counts or especially with digital servos that are current hogs under load. Some really strong digital servos can draw in excess of 1.5A each.

Along with that concern is the style of BEC. They can come in two types. The normal BEC simply takes the higher battery input voltage and drops it to your system requirement, (5-6V) by dumping the excess as heat. That combined with what I described in the first paragraph can add to the thermal load. A better option, and one you get with the Castle 10A BEC, is what is called a "Switching BEC". Just as its name describes it switches the output ON and EFF very rapidly. Using extra components it smooths the output to what you can use and often allows you to select 5 or 6V. The only problem with this type is that switching is also electrically noisy. A rule of thumb is that designing the switching circuitry is only 10% of the work. Quieting that output is where most of the effort goes and where I suspect the lower end units will skimp.

The second issue with onboard BEC's is that the higher the currents switched by the ESC to the motor the more electrical noise generated that can radiate into the radio system. I believe this is the reason you do not commonly see onboard BEC circuitry with ESC's capable of over 60A or so. It is also why it is a good recommendation to physically separate high current ESC's from your radio gear, (and even that separate BEC) as much as possible.

The earlier version Castle 10A BEC had some issues, resolved with the V2. Otherwise they are very good units. You will need a Castle Link if you want to alter the output voltage from stock.

Also, unless ALL of your radio system components are HV rated do not raise the output voltage above 6V.

NOTE: Any wire can act as an antenna and pick up electrical noise. If your original ESC has a ferrite ring, (the little black doughnut with the wire harness looped through it) it would also be a good idea to run the power lead from the separate BEC in the same manner. That ring should be on the wiring as close to the receiver as possible to minimize noise getting back into the radio system.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
bobmic
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bobby
Radio of choice:
JR11x/JRx9503/Futaba 8 UHPS
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

Hi Dale,

I just finished assembling an FMS P-47 1400mm which is probably using almost the same electronics as your T-28.
You don't need a 10Amp BEC / UBEC for this plane as it uses mainly 9gr servos and a 3Amp will be more then enough.
I measured mine with 7 servos (6 9gr 1 17gr), flaps all the way down including the trim while moving all others to the extremes it peaked at 1.4Amp and I have also added to the mix the servoless retracts going up and down so the BEC you are planning to use is a bit of an over kill.
You can easily use a 3Amp HK BEC or even a 5Amp for a quarter of the price, tgether with a 70A Opto HK Red Brick both together shipped will cost you just over $23 which is about the price of the Castle Creations.

...About the ESC don't go lower than 60Amp for the cheap ESCs as depending on the battery and prop you will be using, the motor current is up to 50amps with a new battery and full throttle.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...V_5A_UBEC.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ESC_Opto_.html
bobmic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
MADMX
RCC Noob

Thank you Bobby for your info what's a good brand of batteries from hobbyking I don't see any Gens there and that's all I have bought in the past
Old 02-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
philipa_240sx
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMX View Post
Thank you Bobby for your info what's a good brand of batteries from hobbyking I don't see any Gens there and that's all I have bought in the past
HK doesn't carry Gens Ace. Hobbypartz in the USA is one of the main retailers of this line. I personally like the Gens series of lipos. They have been the best performing lipo I have used and the pricing is very attractive.

The Exceed RC Proton 60A and Exceed RC 3A UBEC combined is only $37 from Hobbypartz. Personally, I would opt for a min 5A BEC as those Towerpro/Hextronix 9g servos can draw up to 0.7A each when stalled.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
bobmic
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bobby
Radio of choice:
JR11x/JRx9503/Futaba 8 UHPS
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

For batteries I would go with Hoobypartz you will get them in about two weeks and there is a flat fee of $10 shipping.
GenAce are better then Zippy and Turnigy based on a number of test I did with 3s batteries. For your plane you need 4s about 3000mAh and you dons have GeAce that will fit and they are significantly more expensive.
You can goy with SkyLipo 4s.

Hobbyking will take significantly longer.
bobmic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

Cougar I have a 500 size heli. When I run over three cells I get some fade, the more the cells the worse it gets or so it seems. I can use a separate battery pack for the reciever and maybe I should. Can I leave the ESC bec hooked up and also use a battery pack to help if the ESC bec should drop the ball or should I just isolate the reciever batteries all together.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
MADMX
RCC Noob

Hey guys not to sure what batter connector and what size shrink tubing i well need for a 4S when i add the new ESC and BEC .I was looking at this site http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...ies-Connectors
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...-Shrink-Tubing if some could help me. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in