transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Rickity
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rick T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 5
transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just in:

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada

Rodger Williams, President
President@MAAC.ca
+1 418 564-5225
www.MAAC.ca

March 16, 2017
Burlington, ON

For Immediate Release

Transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities

MAAC Members and Clubs See Exemptions

Transport Canada's announcement of interim regulations for drone use will impact model aviation enthusiasts across the country that are flying any model aircraft between 250g and 35kg. The regulations place restrictions on how high model aircraft can be flown, and minimum distances from people and buildings when flying that will severely limit how and where people can enjoy the hobby. The announcement states that not only must recreational users put their contact information on drones, but also that they may not fly higher than 90 metres, within 150 metres of buildings, vehicles or people, or within 9 kilometres of the centre of any aerodrome.

However, within the regulations is an exemption for Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) Members flying at MAAC sanction fields and/or events. The exemption granted to MAAC members and sanctioned events is crucial to the continued operation of hundreds of clubs across the country.

The Transport Canada Advisory group of MAAC and the Board of Directors on behalf of The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada acknowledges Transport Canada's safety concerns and is appreciative for the clear recognition of the long history of safe operations by our membership. One of MAAC's primary goals is keeping our members informed and educated on how to enjoy the hobby while keeping safety in the forefront, and that effort has paid off with this exemption.

One of the results of the regulations will be a surge of people looking to find a home within MAAC and MAAC member clubs. If we want this exemption to continue, it is crucial these new members be made to feel welcome and that they are educated on safe model operations. MAAC encourages members, clubs, and club executives to welcome these new members and/or actively assist them in forming their own interest specific clubs.

The interim regulations also call for active enforcement by local police forces, which may create issues for some members and clubs. MAAC recommends clubs contact their local authorities and ensure they are aware of the club's existence, MAAC affiliation, and the Transport Canada exemption.

About The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC):
MAAC is Canada's internationally and federally recognized model aviation sanctioning body. Additionally, MAAC is a sitting member of Canadian Aviation Regulatory Advisory Council (CARAC), holds corporate membership with Unmanned Systems Canada (USC) and is a voting member of the FAI and the Aero Club of Canada.

For over 65 years the association has provided leadership, safety guidelines, and liability insurance to individual members, clubs, and field owners. MAAC serves over 11,500 members and more than 350 clubs across Canada. MAAC members are active in all disciplines of model aviation from free-flight models through radio controlled turbine powered models, including multi-rotor aircraft RC boating and rocketry.

For more information contact your zone director, the MAAC Office (maac.ca) or
Rodger Williams, President
President@MAAC.ca +1 418 564-5225

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
kobo211
RCC Apprentice

I am: David K
Radio of choice:
DX7se
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 2
Re: transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities

As a private pilot and modeller I accept these interim regulations. In fact I have recently joined a flying field ( Whitby Aeromodellers) and continued my MAAC membership as I did not like the idea of flying even parkflyers within proximity to the Oshawa airport. Sanctioned venues and proper education and procedures are what keeps us safe.
kobo211 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

As one might expect, there will be immediate negative response to any government imposition on recreational activity and I won't begin to debate one way or the other if these measures were necessary or if they will be effective. I will say it will do you no good to complain to MAAC as this was a Ministerial driven initiative of which MAAC had zero say. If you feel the need to complain, your avenue is through your MP, direct to the Minister's office or with your vote next time around.

That said, the avenue left open for flying outside of these interim rules is through MAAC. I agree that most of the camera/tech flyers are not a very good fit for most "traditional clubs" found out in open areas. However, note the last line of this paragraph in the MAAC email:

" One of the results of the regulations will be a surge of people looking to find a home within MAAC and MAAC member clubs. If we want this exemption to continue, it is crucial these new members be made to feel welcome and that they are educated on safe model operations. MAAC encourages members, clubs, and club executives to welcome these new members and/or actively assist them in forming their own interest specific clubs."

MAAC clubs are not difficult to form, you only need 3 like- minded flyers to form a club and the quads and similar do have the VTOL and tech advantage to allow ops in smaller more interesting and complex environments.

Armed with MAAC's insurance, a bit of creativity, some basic safety rules, some negotiating skills and a good sales pitch, there is no reason these type of clubs can't approach municipal, private land owners and city officials with drone park concepts for unused, abandoned, closed industrial type sites.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy01 View Post
MAAC clubs are not difficult to form, you only need 3 like- minded flyers to form a club and the quads and similar do have the VTOL and tech advantage to allow ops in smaller more interesting and complex environments.

Armed with MAAC's insurance, a bit of creativity, some basic safety rules, some negotiating skills and a good sales pitch, there is no reason these type of clubs can't approach municipal, private land owners and city officials with drone park concepts for unused, abandoned, closed industrial type sites.
Mr Sharpe is on fire today!
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy01 View Post
As one might expect, there will be immediate negative response to any government imposition on recreational activity and I won't begin to debate one way or the other if these measures were necessary or if they will be effective. I will say it will do you no good to complain to MAAC as this was a Ministerial driven initiative of which MAAC had zero say. If you feel the need to complain, your avenue is through your MP, direct to the Minister's office or with your vote next time around.

That said, the avenue left open for flying outside of these interim rules is through MAAC. I agree that most of the camera/tech flyers are not a very good fit for most "traditional clubs" found out in open areas. However, note the last line of this paragraph in the MAAC email:

" One of the results of the regulations will be a surge of people looking to find a home within MAAC and MAAC member clubs. If we want this exemption to continue, it is crucial these new members be made to feel welcome and that they are educated on safe model operations. MAAC encourages members, clubs, and club executives to welcome these new members and/or actively assist them in forming their own interest specific clubs."

Marc, I agree that it is not difficult to start and register a club....but what is difficult is to find the room to economically have the legal offsets to actually have the field layout approved. I have an unregistered field because of that....to have the proper offsets it would add 2 acres taken out of production, and at $800 - $1000 per acre (for canola) I just can't justify that.....and that may be the case with others approaching landowners.

Last edited by reo; 03-18-2017 at 02:26 PM.
reo is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

Never mind. I see you are referring to MAAC requirements when you stated "offsets".
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87

Another Government unenforceable rule. Its simple to make up rules and laws but it's another thing to actually enforce it. How can Transport Canada do anything with no staff to enforce it. I'm glad MAAC was involved but how am I supposed to know how high my plane fly's. Drones fly every where, they don't have to join a club and they don't because of the financial obligations attached with it. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
Rickity
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rick T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 5

Floyd according to the release it says "The interim regulations also call for active enforcement by local police forces". Not too sure how the police will handle it. Maybe on your own property if you are below the 90m they can't do squat but it is all about clamping down on those that fly where ever with no regard to who is around. A lot of this came about because of privacy issues where drones have been "spying" or at least perceived to be by home/land owners.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

I wish everyone would quit using the word "Interim". We all know they will become permanent. Enforcement is going to become a problem and I suspect the local authorities will rely on citizens to report offenses. I really don't want our police forces out trying to catch errant drones, there is much more important things for them to do.

Also believe because of these new regulations MAAC will have to start actively monitoring sanctioned clubs for compliance otherwise MAAC will lose it's credibility with Transport Canada.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 14

Its in the news and it appears 75m NOT 150 from buildings, vehicles etc

MAAC sends out a mass mailing and gets it wrong?

??????

D.W.
MAAC 14436

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in