Opinion: Balsa Airplane Kits - Good Brands, Bad Brands? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 09-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
J_Budd
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jason B
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Question Opinion: Balsa Airplane Kits - Good Brands, Bad Brands?

Hi all, hopefully this subject hasn't been beat to death already...(I did a search of the Forum, and surprisingly couldn't find much).

There are many brands to choose from when looking into a balsa kit...From what I gather, some of the big ones are: ACE, BALSA USA, GREAT PLANES, HERR, TOP FLITE, etc etc etc

I am assuming some brands are better than others in various respects.

I am wondering if some should be steered-clear of?

Likely, I will be building to fly as an intermediate level, ELECTRIC model, likely 4/5ch, size anywhere from 30"-60"...

I realize this is a fairly subjective question, like asking if I should buy a Ford, Dodge, or Honda etc... but any personal experiences would be a great help.

Thanks!

Last edited by J_Budd; 09-04-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Subject was unclear
J_Budd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
gi1mo2
RCC Contributor

I am: Gilles M
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 4
Re: Airplane Kits - Brands to Stay Away From?

I have a CL-415 from HobbyKing, 2 Parkzone (Extra 300 and F4U Corsia). All foam and easy to repair. Parkzone is better in this case. Hangar 9 is best for scale model such as my Piper J-3 Cub. I looked at E-Flite and hesitated before my purchase. Would have been a great choice. At our club, there are many other brands, and none have been marked as "stay away from". Price is often related to quality. Most important is the quality of the components you put in. Stick with recommendations to ensure proper Center of Gravity and power requirements.
Plane: F4U Corsair, Extra 300, Hangar-9 Piper J-3 Cub 40, Visionaire, Polaris Ultra, Focke Wulf 190
Micro: T-28 Trojan, Extra 300 3D
gi1mo2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi1mo2 View Post
I have a CL-415 from HobbyKing, 2 Parkzone (Extra 300 and F4U Corsia). All foam and easy to repair. Parkzone is better in this case. Hangar 9 is best for scale model such as my Piper J-3 Cub. I looked at E-Flite and hesitated before my purchase. Would have been a great choice. At our club, there are many other brands, and none have been marked as "stay away from". Price is often related to quality. Most important is the quality of the components you put in. Stick with recommendations to ensure proper Center of Gravity and power requirements.
I think he is looking at kits...not ARF's. A kit is usually a box of precut pieces and various sizes of balsa and hardwood sticks and sheets.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
gi1mo2
RCC Contributor

I am: Gilles M
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
I think he is looking at kits...not ARF's. A kit is usually a box of precut pieces and various sizes of balsa and hardwood sticks and sheets.
Gotcha - missed that important word
Plane: F4U Corsair, Extra 300, Hangar-9 Piper J-3 Cub 40, Visionaire, Polaris Ultra, Focke Wulf 190
Micro: T-28 Trojan, Extra 300 3D
gi1mo2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
philipa_240sx
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15
Re: Opinion: Balsa Airplane Kits - Good Brands, Bad Brands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Budd View Post
Likely, I will be building to fly as an intermediate level, ELECTRIC model, likely 4/5ch, size anywhere from 30"-60"...
I have built several of Pat Tritle's models. He tends to design electric park flyers in the 30-60" range. The designs are very light and won't take heavy abuse so I tend to recommend them to more experienced modellers/pilots.

They are fantastic models though. There are all great flyers and the newer ones are designed around brushless motors.

Many of Pat's newer designs can be found on his website:

http://www.patscustom-models.com/

He also did several designs for Dumas, most notably the 1800 series. They are mostly 3ch and under 40" WS:

http://www.dumasproducts.com/

And a few of his older kits can still be purchased from Dare Hobby:

http://www.darehobby.com/airplanes/a...lectric-01.htm

A few of my Pat Tritle Models:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pat Tritle TC -  Front 3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	163776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pat Tritle TM - Final 1.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	163777   Click image for larger version

Name:	PT Ultimate - Side 2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	163778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pat Tritle GeeBee Model D - Front 1.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	163779  

philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
philipa_240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Budd View Post
There are many brands to choose from when looking into a balsa kit...From what I gather, some of the big ones are: ACE, BALSA USA, GREAT PLANES, HERR, TOP FLITE, etc
I've built a Herr Mini-Sport kit. Not a bad plane really. The kit is self jigging and goes together quickly. I would build another.

I've had nothing but bad luck with Great Planes. Mostly this stems from their lack of support and spare parts. This is just my experience though.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
tallone66
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Derrick
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3

I f building, you can't go wrong with Sig, Top flight, Great planes, balsa USA ect.....
There are a ton of manufacturers out there, some good, some not so good. It can be a crap shoot, if building scale, the desision gets even harder, as some manufacturers make some pretty dicy kits, and charge like a premeum kit. The fourums here can help with the desision as well. But once again, you can nt go wrong with the ones listed above, they have been around, and have stood the test of time for a reason. Manufatuerers who make junk do not last to long in the hobby.
My 2c worth.
Cheers
Derrick
tallone66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Pica is another good kit maker, but IMO is for a more experienced builder. Balsa USA makes some excellent kits. Only complaint is some of the older models are a bit skimpy on instructions.

One other factor can be the quality of wood. A good kit will contain higher grain wood for higher stress areas and unfortunately I cannot offer any specifics.

Glad to see someone still out there looking to start from a kit. There is a lot to be said for bringing a box full of stick and sheets of wood to life.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
philipa_240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
One other factor can be the quality of wood. A good kit will contain higher grain wood for higher stress areas and unfortunately I cannot offer any specifics.
That's one of the reasons I like building short kits. Since the only the ribs and formers are usually included, it allows me to hand select the remainig balsa used for longerons, stringers, wing spars etc.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Madman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen M

Total Props: 1

I have built great planes (OK, nothing special), Graupner (Early electric or glow kit, again OK nothing special), and SIG (excellent laser cutting and wood quality).

my $0.02

Stephen
Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in