Air Hogs Storm Launcher. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
ubergolf

Total Props: 0
Air Hogs Storm Launcher.

Hi every one. I'm new here and to the hobby. Looking to ease my way into the sport but still have some fun instead of getting one of those really slow trainers like the Easystar. I've decided to pick up an Air Hogs "Storm Launcher". I figured for the price point, it was a pretty damn good start. $99.97 + Battery pack ( not sure yet )
www.stormlauncher.com

Has any one got one of these? I searched all forums for this and came up with nothing. Either nobody has heard of it or nobody wants to touch it with a 10 foot poll.

From my understanding, these just made their way north of the boarder. I just picked one up from Wal-Mart and am dying to try it. The only problem is, they're not carrying the battery pack for it yet. Whatever.

Let me know if anyone has one, had one or heard of it and doesn't care for it. If nobody has one then I'll log all my experiences to the best of my ability.
ubergolf is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
LLoo
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Leon L.

I wouldn't discount the EasyStar just yet. I've been flying for a couple of years now and have a good variety of planes under my belt. This summer I bought an EasyStar and it is one of my favorites, it's definately not boring.

As for the SL, I've never flown one so I can't really say but it looks like good value for a RTF.

Leon.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
Credence

The stormlauncher as they call it is just a clone of all the popular hydrofoam planes out there. Many companies make them.

I'll tell you right now they are NOT easy to fly. I don't think it's a good model to start with, especially with that dinky controller it comes with.

Then again, who knows? Maybe Air Hogs will have done something to make them newbie friendly. All I know is i've tried my hand at them, and they're very sensitive.

Good luck with it .
Credence is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
ubergolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoo
I wouldn't discount the EasyStar just yet. I've been flying for a couple of years now and have a good variety of planes under my belt. This summer I bought an EasyStar and it is one of my favorites, it's definately not boring.
Yeah. You're right there Leon, but c'mon. You really enjoy flying the Easystar? I've seen footage of the Easy star in flight and the big push on it is that "it flies by itself". http://hobby-lobby.com/media/MPX4192-EasyStar.wmv

I want to fly it. Not Watch it fly. I live 2 min from pearson. I can see all kinds of planes flying. lol Just my thought. But then again, I'm a Newb. My biggest appeal with the Storm Launcher is that it's cheap and I don't mind loosing $100 if it crashed and burns. $200+, yeah. I mind.

Anyway, I have one and now I'm just waitng for the battery pack. I'll let you know how it goes!!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

The statement it flies by itself is something I take with a grain of salt. 90% of planes do that and the other 10% crash. You are the pilot and the idea is to control it in the air. Trainers make it easier as they have the setup that is built in(high wing with dehidral) to help right itself in case you are in trouble. For it to fly itself when you put it in trouble you may need a 1000 ft under it.
Don't knock the trainers and get an instructor and save money.
John
Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
ubergolf

John.

I do not intend to knock the trainers. I do not question the value in getting an instructor or starting with a trainer. All I'm saying is that I'm going try breaking into the sport with a Storm Launcher. I gave my reason why and was curious whether any one else tried one.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Tony.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

The best way is to learn on a trainer first, and then get something more challenging.

Or, you can blow your $100 bucks, smash it to smithereens, and then spend the $200+ and come join the rest of us in the hobby!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
ubergolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm
The best way is to learn on a trainer first, and then get something more challenging.

Or, you can blow your $100 bucks, smash it to smithereens, and then spend the $200+ and come join the rest of us in the hobby!
Okay! Great. Thanks guys. This thread has been truly helpful.

Why don't we put this on the back burner and I'll reincarnate it when I have video footage of my maiden voyage? If I crash and burn, we'll all have something to laugh about.

Good? Let's try and stay away from flaming members. Especially Newbs.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

That was NOT meant to be a flame.
I can tell you have your heart set on the hot-rod, but you asked our thoughts, and you got them.
I don't think it's in your best interest to start with the Airhog, but it's your choice.
For your first dozen or so flights, the trainer will not be too slow for you, you will be lucky to keep up with it without help.
If you practice lots with the simulator first, and are very cautious, you may be able to fly the Airhog, but it won't be easy.
You say you want to ease into the sport....get a trainer, and find an experienced helper. There is no easier way!!!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
LLoo
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Leon L.

Tony,

I know where you're coming from. When I started in RC Flying I refused to start with a trainer. I started with a Parkzone Stryker! Whoot. My maiden flight lasted about 5 seconds.

After that I still refused to buy a trainer, I got a SuperFly (www.superflyrc.com), a great EPP delta. I then entered into a cycle of fly/crash/repair/repeat but I learned how to fly on it. Eventually after I became a more confident flyer I bought a trainer just for the fun of it. I got my EasyStar, it truely is a fun plane to fly.

Here is a video of an EasyStar that has a very similar setup as mine. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=easystar

BTW, I think the StormLauncher looks like a fun and likely durable plane. It's on my wish list. It's made of EPP which is a great material for durability. If you're determined you'll be able to fly the SL with good control in no time.

Leon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in