de Havilland Beaver on History Channel - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #21
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6
Re: de Havilland Beaver on History Channel

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor_throw_the_switch View Post
If,n any of you folks are into foamies, there's a good plan here: http://www.aerosquare.com/content/ca...20/50/lang,en/
Not into foamies but that is a nice plan that you could actually use to build a traditional balsa plane.

If anyone missed the episode the History Channel is reairing the show.
Saturday
May 24 at 8:00 PM
Sunday
May 25 at 4:00 AM

Chris

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #22
aarinsingh
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Aarin S

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO335 View Post
Don't want to rain on your parade here. I flew one a few years back - not just a few seconds on the stick.

The Beaver does what it was designed to do and does it well. Having flown many full size planes and with some 500 hours in a Cessna 170B, it felt to me to have all the manners of a loaded dump truck. Drove one of those one year for a summer job. In fact, in the air, it was also quite similar to a C185 on amphibious Wipline floats. Big tanks.

Yes, if you get your jollies by driving a flying dump truck, you'll love it. It's noisey, shakey, feels heavy and plods slowly along with little response to the controls - just like the dump truck.

It's a great machine perfectly suited to its task.

???? Similiar to a C185? Comparing it to a C170? Turn in your pilots license and your Canadian Citizenship. I don't see the comparison at all, and yes I have flown both. As far as the job it does, there is no plane better suited or does the job easier.

Or was this the first time you were away from instructing?

http://shag.hobby-site.com
aarinsingh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #23
planecrazy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO335 View Post
The Beaver does what it was designed to do and does it well.

Yes, if you get your jollies by driving a flying dump truck, you'll love it. It's noisey, shakey, feels heavy and plods slowly along with little response to the controls - just like the dump truck.

It's a great machine perfectly suited to its task.
As you said, it's does what it was designed to do, not as a hot rod or to handle like an Extra 330. Max Ward, (remember that guy) had said that, if it wasn't for the Beaver and Otter (which he thought was better for hauling stuff in the bush) Wardair wouldn't have gotten as it did.

Chris

Old 05-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #24
Seafury
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg P
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: ~

Total Props: 0

I don't normally jump on the bandwagon because I like to think for myself. It's easy to get caught up in the glamour of aerobatic aircraft and the pure power of fighter aircraft past and present but the truth of it all is most flying has to do with hauling people and cargo to different places. Critisizing a one ton four by four airplane for feeling like one does not make much sense.

Before I took my pilots license all I could think of was flying something fast and powerfull. After getting it flying something stable, usefull and forgiving had far more appeal. Pretty hard to argue the versatility that a Beaver on amphibious floats gives a pilot even if it won't do immelman turns and mach 1.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in