RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #51
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96
Re: RC Insurance

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxx4ever View Post
Esmith, quit being an assklown and just call the insurance company if you want an answer for yourself!!!! Don't call someone out and then say "no thanks" when they give you an option. If you wearnt just interested in causing everyone greif and were actually interested in the policy.. you would have called already.
Actually, Ed makes a very good point. I have a very experienced (but cautious) insurance broker that has been in the business for over 40 years and I take his advice seriously. I have tried on more than one occasion to have an INS. CO. (not the broker) give me something in writing that I have liability coverage for RC aircraft, have always been given some verbal replies but they have always refused to supply anything IN WRITING. I have been advised that without something in writing, from someone authorized to do so, SPECIFYING RC airplanes, we have nothing. I made the same request again when I signed up for my multi-million $ umbrella policy (different ins. co.) and again they will supply nothing IN WRITING. Stating that personal hobbies are covered really doesn't cut it either....but to each his own. At least MAAC spells out very carefully where we are and are not covered.....Ron

Last edited by reo; 07-03-2010 at 08:03 AM.
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #52
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Scotte

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Actually, Ed makes a very good point. I have a very experienced (but cautious) insurance broker that has been in the business for over 40 years and I take his advice seriously. I have tried on more than one occasion to have an INS. CO. (not the broker) give me something in writing that I have liability coverage for RC aircraft, have always been given some verbal replies but they have always refused to supply anything IN WRITING. I have been advised that without something in writing, from someone authorized to do so, SPECIFYING RC airplanes, we have nothing. I made the same request again when I signed up for my multi-million $ umbrella policy (different ins. co.) and again they will supply nothing IN WRITING. Stating that personal hobbies are covered really doesn't cut it either....but to each his own. At least MAAC spells out very carefully where we are and are not covered.....Ron

FYI..... I copied a portion of a policy that I spent many hours helping BFL Canada come up with and they have an additional stand alone policy that will insure you.....I'm not positive but this could be one of the only policies out there specificly designed for model aircraft, besides MAAC coverage,,,,,If you have questions best contact them,,,,,,Does this open some eyes, I bet it does!!

ADDITIONAL
INFORMATION: AIRPORT/LANDING STRIP ENDORSEMENT (referring to the common “aircraft landing” exclusion in all General Liability policies)
• The exclusion has been amended to provide an exception as follows:
o “except model airports or model aircraft landing strips used by the Named Insured and only for model aircraft where the airborne weight is less than 35 (thirty-five) kilograms as defined by Transport Canada.”

MODEL AIRCRAFT LIMITATION ENDORSEMENT (referring to the common “aircraft” exclusion in all General Liability policies)
o “this exclusion does not apply out of the operation of model aircraft or other flying object weighing less than 35 (thirty-five) kilograms airborne weight as defined by Transport Canada.”

NON CONTRIBUTION CLAUSE (referring to the common “other insurance” clause in all General Liability policies)
• The clause has been amended as follows:
o Notwithstanding Condition 6 (OTHER INSURANCE) it is hereby understood and agreed that this policy shall not cover any claims recoverable under any other valid and collectible insurance available to the Insured.

DEFINITION OF MEMBERS
• The following clause is added to Insuring Agreement lll PERSONS INSURED:
o The Named Insured’s members and affiliate members in good standing of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada, but only while engaging in the operation of model aircrafts, model watercrafts, model vehicles or model rockets.

COMMENTS: This policy was designed specifically to address certain issues that the Club was having difficulties with as follows:
• To provide the Club with the ability to satisfy a Landlord with a General Liability policy that would allow a “hold harmless” agreement between the Club and “the Landlord” (whoever that might be)
• To identify the members (as a whole) as a “named insured” as opposed to an “additional insured” only.
• To provide coverage for the members while operating their model aircraft outside club activities as the MAAC policy restricts coverage to “Club Organized Activities” thus excluding any flying on the member’s own time

DISCLAIMER
This summary provides an outline of your insurance. It does not cover all of the terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations of your policy(ies) and is not to be regarded as a substitute for your policy(ies) which you should study carefully upon receipt.

In particular, reference to “main” or “principal” or ‘special” (additional) conditions or exclusions should be treated with caution as items contained therein do not, and are not intended to, constitute a complete inventory of the relevant policy section.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #53
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

[QUOTE=Scott Esplen;728995]FYI..... I copied a portion of a policy that I spent many hours helping BFL Canada come up with and they have an additional stand alone policy that will insure you.....I'm not positive but this could be one of the only policies out there specificly designed for model aircraft, besides MAAC coverage,,,,,If you have questions best contact them,,,,,,Does this open some eyes, I bet it does!!

Good information, Scott. As you say, BFL may be the only one (at this point) that is willing to put this up front in writing, and in the end if there is a big claim that is what counts....Ron
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #54
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

Thanks Ron,,,,,,Without this kind of wording I would be very leary about being covered by general home owners liability insurance,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 07-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #55
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20

Hi Scott;

Thank you for taking the time to post that information. Hopefully now some guys are starting to understand the difference between "opinions" and "facts".

That is the best wording I have ever seen regarding RC aircraft next to the MAAC policy:

MODEL AIRCRAFT LIMITATION ENDORSEMENT (referring to the common “aircraft” exclusion in all General Liability policies)
o “this exclusion does not apply out of the operation of model aircraft or other flying object weighing less than 35 (thirty-five) kilograms airborne weight as defined by Transport Canada.”

Also:

ADDITIONAL
INFORMATION: AIRPORT/LANDING STRIP ENDORSEMENT (referring to the common “aircraft landing” exclusion in all General Liability policies)
o “except model airports or model aircraft landing strips used by the Named Insured and only for model aircraft where the airborne weight is less than 35 (thirty-five) kilograms as defined by Transport Canada.”

It would appear to me from the wording, your are virtually covered anywhere you fly if you are under 35 kilograms, unless there is another area of the policy that defines "landing strips". Is the term "landing strip" defined anywhere in the policy?

It's that kind of stuff, like burying a defined term "landing strip" somewhere, that people hate about insurance companies, including me. It's too bad people think insurance brokers are "bad" along with the big bad insurance companies. We are in the middle, and have to understand and clarify to ourselves and our customers, what the so called "fine print" is all about. There are lots of good, conscientious insurance brokers. I often think the complainers have not been good "concientious customers". Or they just like to complain about life.

Thanks.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #56
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

You are covered anywhere in Canada,
Cheers,
Scott
Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #57
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

The details are in the "Exclusions". My Ins Co said that if it's not in the exclusions then you are covered. RC aircraft is not in the exclusions and it come under the heading of Personal Hobbies and then I'm covered. The example they gave me was if I own a Sailboat and killed somebody then my Sailboat insurance would cover the first million and then my Homeowners policy would cover the next 2 million. You could even go further by purchasing a Umbrella policy for $140 which gives you another couple million in liability insurance. I am very satisfyed with the answers that were provided to me by Ins Co.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #58
Larry Pierce
RCC Contributor

I am: Larry T
Radio of choice:
Spectrum 10T
# of RCs: 10

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 11:39 AM
To: larry.pierce@sympatico.ca
Subject: liability

Hi Larry , underwriting just informed me that liability would extend from your homeowners insurance in regard to the radio controlled aircraft , for the perils of the policy .
Regards Sue
Susan Muller
Office Representative: Collingwood, Ontario
State Farm®
Providing Insurance and Financial Services
Tel: 705-445-4616
Fax: 705-445-5544
e-mail: Susan.E.Muller.ixi3@statefarm.com
Old 07-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #59
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pierce View Post
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 11:39 AM
To: larry.pierce@sympatico.ca
Subject: liability

Hi Larry , underwriting just informed me that liability would extend from your homeowners insurance in regard to the radio controlled aircraft , for the perils of the policy .
Regards Sue
Susan Muller
Office Representative: Collingwood, Ontario
State Farm®
Providing Insurance and Financial Services
Tel: 705-445-4616
Fax: 705-445-5544
e-mail: Susan.E.Muller.ixi3@statefarm.com
Doesn't get any clearer than that.

Last edited by Mike Sebastien; 07-03-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #60
E Smith
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Esmith, quit being an assklown and just call the insurance company if you want an answer for yourself!!!!
It would seem that this "assklown" (excuse the spelling, it is a quote) did get the answer in writing, and for everybody else to read!

I think he was trying to say "arse clown" but who knows with the spelling of todays intelligentsia?

Ed S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in