FMA Co-Pilot - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #11
Heli-Flyer
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
The "True Failsafe Co-Pilot", as he called it then, rolled the plane upright while throttling back to a preset level, and added a preset amount of rudder to put it in a circling holding pattern.
Are you sure that this whole fail-safe process is done by the Co-pilot alone??

I know that the earlier Co-pilot only does one job which is to roll the plane upright and that is it. The throttle and rudder preset were done by the PCM fail-safe in the radio system.
Heli-Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:16 PM   #12
Oilman72
RCC Contributor

FS8 Version

I saw the FS8 on a freinds raptor and it was inverted, he let go of the sticks it flipped over upright into stabel hover in seconds. He also had attached what was called a Z sensor which FMA offers. Overall and my knowledge is nil compared to all of yours but I was indeed impressed. If I ever get a bigger expensive machine I think I would consider it unless.... I am much better than now, we'll see. Anyways just wanted to say I thought it was a very impressive product was all.
Oilman72 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli-Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
The "True Failsafe Co-Pilot", as he called it then, rolled the plane upright while throttling back to a preset level, and added a preset amount of rudder to put it in a circling holding pattern.
Are you sure that this whole fail-safe process is done by the Co-pilot alone??

I know that the earlier Co-pilot only does one job which is to roll the plane upright and that is it. The throttle and rudder preset were done by the PCM fail-safe in the radio system.
What I have is the Co-Pilot, which only handles pitch and yaw. The "True Failsafe" is the Co-Pilot with the receiver and the Z axis monitor in addition. Total package is about twice the price of the Co-Pilot alone. I would love to have the whole enchilada, but the Co-Pilot alone has gotten me out of more than a couple of tight spots early on.

I get a fair bit of razzing from some of the guys about having "training wheels" on my plane, But I figure it's my plane and if I know I may be trying something new and may not react quickly enough on the sticks, what the heck, I'll use the gear switch to get it back in shape. In a gusty crosswind landing it will keep my wings level while I bring it in steering by rudder alone, and get it back in one piece, instead of ticking a wingtip and cartwheeling.

One thing though, don't count on the Co-Pilot alone to get you out of an inverted situation unless you have lots of altitude. It will apply aileron and UP ELEVATOR at the same time to attempt to achieve upright status. That can make for a lot of balsa sticks in a hurry.

Dave

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:05 AM   #14
Oilman72
RCC Contributor

Dave....

Bottom line is that sounds like you saved your plane a time or two, who cares what anyone thinks. I would think it would be funner to be able to continue flying then fixing!! What you said about elvation is true, in that comment about my freinds heli that has it on when he went from inverted the heli did drop a good 10-15 reet before normal hover and stable, so if you were close to the ground game over no help...... cheers!
Oilman72 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #15
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
I agree, I'd rather fly with "training wheels" than crash unnecessarily. My best "incident" with the Co-Pilot occurred in November 2003. I skived off work early one afternoon, had the plane and flight box in the car, so off to the field.

Got set up, took off (Co-Pilot switched off) started shooting touch and goes. I did 14 circuits with a touch on each one, Beautiful! Land, taxi in fuel up and go again. Another circuit, another T&G. another circuit, and as I come around to final, the plane just simply disappeared against the heavy overcast! (see the plane in my avatar)

I have NO IDEA if it is wings level, still in the bank, nose up, nose down; I CAN NOT SEE IT!, Switch on Co-Pilot, increase throttle, and 3 or 4 seconds later, NOW I SEE IT! Land normally and look around. It is straight up 5 PM and the sun is dropping below the horizon, behind the overcast.

Doh! I got no business flying in that light, but I gratefully pick up my toys and go home for dinner.

Dave

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in