best practice for scratch ribs - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
hyperrockets

Total Props: 0
best practice for scratch ribs

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello

Its me again.
This time I am rebuilding a wing and need to cut 22 ribs.
In the past I have pinned 11 or 12 together and cut and sanded.
I have heard from others that glueing and then cutting works well.
My Question is how would you cut 22 ribs?

Don
hyperrockets is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
RenoRacer

easy one

With a lazer cutter of course

just stack them all together and carefully run them through a ban saw

i did 20 like that before turned out ok but needed some sanding
RenoRacer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
County C
RCC Contributor

I am: Geoff C

I find I am accurate cutting up to 6 ribs at a time, of course if you're rough cutting and sanding to shape then bobs your uncle, but I try for an accurate cute to minimise the sanding.

I use a small piece of double sided tape between each sheet to secure the stack. The emphasis is in small peice of double sided tape. The best stuff I've found is in the dollar stores. It's very thin and tacky enough to hold even dusty balsa.

Geoff
County C is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Cutting ribs

Hi

I occasionally have enough time to cut ribs by hand.

I assume that some of the ribs near the centre of the wing are different which would require two different sets of ribs.

If I have the time to do it I make a photo copy of the rib template and glue it on a piece of thick Arborite.

I cut it close to the line on the scroll saw with a new blade.

Step 2 is to sand it on a stationary disc/belt sander using the disc. For concave shapes use the edge of the belt sander. Sand half way through the line for the proper shape.

Cut outs for spars are done as close to the line as possible with the scroll saw and fine tuned with a file.

You now have a template that you can use a sharp exacto knife or a scalpel against without cutting into it. Drill a couple of holes in the template so that a large T-pin will just fit through.

Put the template over the wood and pin them both to the bench or a piece of wood and you can quickly and accurately accurately cut out your ribs.

If you need to do repairs at a later date it's a snap as you still have the templates.

You can also uso thes templates to cut a foam wing. It's also very easy to add washout by simply raising the outboard template the desired amount.
Don't forget to make a left and right if you use washout on a non symetrical wing.

You can also use the bandsaw method and cut a stack all at once, but be certain that the blade is at right angles to the ribs or you will have a tapered wing.

You could also just stack them and use the disc sander being certain that the table is at right angles to the sanding disc.

The choice is yours and it's up to you how much time you want to spend building your plane.

I'm sure there are lots of other ways to do it.

Cheers
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:22 PM   #5
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

I've only scratch built one wing. I did do it twice however (making one for a buddy). I made 2 ribs out of AC ply. I did not have arbourite handy. I then bolted a stack of 8 or 10 ribs together (balsa) , and sanded them all to shape. It worked well. I then used the holes I had put in to run wires through. Basically you just clamp a stack together and go nuts with the sanding.

Just one more way that has worked for me!
Good luck
Mike
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
hyperrockets

The band saw would be the way to go, but I don't have one.
I think I will try the sander this time.
I like the tape Idea as well.

Start tonight and I will let you all know What way I go.

Don
hyperrockets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in