Which servos do you use in your large scale cars? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
imported_Fabe
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Which servos do you use in your large scale cars?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys, I have a question I've been meaning to ask for a while now: Which servos do you like to use in your large scale cars/trucks?

My second question is would you opt for a standard size, super high torque/titanium gear servo or just a run of the mill large scale servo?

Thanks,

Fabiano
imported_Fabe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Flyingblind

I guess it depends on the type of car.

For my FG on-road, i'm using a pair of Hitec 705s for steering and a pair of 5645 for throttle and brake (it's got 4 wheel discs, hence the extra brake servo).

On the FG Stadium, I have a single Hitec 805 for steering and again, a 5645 for throttle/brake. I haven't added front discs yet but when i do, I'll run a separate servo for them.

I have had 2 805s in my Leopard but it was by accident and complete overkill. I took one out after realizing the mistake.

The stock setup on the FG RTRs is 805 for steering and a 64 5 for throttle/brake in case you're wondering.
Flyingblind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
cyclop
RCC Master Contributor

im running the 5745 MG for the steering , i had a 805 in it and broke off at the spline and wasnt impressed that a servo that size is only still nylon , thats way i put in a 5745 MG servo for the steering and it still has 250 oz torque

Old 03-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
Flyingblind

Haven't broken an 805 spline but I think Selwa might have. Nice thing is they're fairly cheap if you do break something.

The 705 is/was a metal gear servo. Just found out it's been discontinued and replaced by the 755. The only concern with the 5745 might be the power draw. I had Advance recommend against running a pair of digital servos in the on-road for that reason. Then again, with today's battery capacities, that is less of an issue
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
imported_Fabe
RCC Junior Contributor

Cool, so from what I understand the main torque requirement is for steering and not for throttle/brake, like I had inititally planned? Hmm...now I have to rethink my project slightly. Thanks!
imported_Fabe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:38 AM   #6
imported_SELWA
RCC Pro Contributor

I run an 805 for the steering and 2 5645's for the throttle and brakes in both FG's. The 1 805 has been fine for over 2 years and the other has been going for 3 years now. True I broke a sline gear during winter 2004 but broke it not stripped it. PLus at 343oz and $34 on sale at great hobbies right now it's a steal. The 5645 's are 168oz and $48 there also. Gear sets are only $20 for either one too.

I run 4 disk brakes in the Marder Race and front disks and stock rear in the Leopard. PLus I also have the monster wheels and they work fine with the same servos.

If you do get 2 digital servo's for the steering make sure you EPA are right. Many burn out the servo if they are not set right.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Flyingblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELWA
[COLOR="Lime"]
If you do get 2 digital servo's for the steering make sure you EPA are right. Many burn out the servo if they are not set right.

More than that, they'll burn the car down. Somebody once forgot to turn off/unplug his receiver pack and the constant power to the servos caused them to overheat and catch fire. The really bad part was the car was in the back of his SUV when it happened. Try explaining that one to your insurance company.

You do want a reasonably strong servo for the throttle/brake but it doesn't have to be outrageous. Keep in mind that you are trying to stop a car that's anywhere from 20 to 30 lbs (or more!).
Old 03-22-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
imported_SELWA
RCC Pro Contributor

Very True, and when you look at the ratings make sure you see the 6V not the 4.8V.

What you need to see is also how much you want to spend on it. For the price the ones I've mentioned are great but if your brakes are not set up properly then it's a waste. There are also a few trick which help the brakes to give you a bit more leverage. (longer servo horn and longer steel pin coming out of the brake assembly.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
RC devil
RCC Senior Contributor

Arrow servo

i would recmend jr racing servos
kypsho 7.5 project brushless
TEAM Y-AXIS
RC devil is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 AM   #10
imported_SELWA
RCC Pro Contributor

Pricewise Hitec servos are the best for Large scale. Bottom line is that you need at least 300oz + for steering and 150+ for throttle and brake. This is why FG includes them with their RTR kits from Germany. In Germany they also use Mulitplex but which is now part of Hitec but they cost much more.

Most of the guys I talk to around the world who are into large scale use them so they must be doing something right.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in