Fail safes - just another newb thang? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
TriggerHappy
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Post Fail safes - just another newb thang?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm probably going to bring down the heat here, but I just finished reading a discussion thread and I want to hear what everyone thinks. Please don't mention or guess names if you know or think you know what post or who I'm talking about.

I've heard it being said that fail safes are lame. I've also heard it being said that they're a necessity. I'm no guru, but I think I have a good enough understanding of this to give my own opinion, which is just my opinion and not gospel. So here it is:

Lame or not, if you are running under a transformer or come across other radio interference (signal reflection from metal walls), its always good to know you can turn off your radio and your RC will stop.

Its also much better than taking someones little kid out in the back of a public parking lot or park area. People have been hurt from run aways, its not responsible to not have one no matter how good you are, besides, there's always human error. Some newb reads a post thinkin its ok to run w/o fail safe because he's read his manual and understands it.

Its like cheap insurance, I'm sure 1000's of RC'ers and even many pro's have been glad that their fail safe kicked in when something funky happened, but this is no fact, IMO.
TriggerHappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
wedginator
RCC Senior Contributor

Yea, it's better to be safe than sorry... Even though many ppl think that nothing will happen and that they will be safe etc, unexpected stuff may happen. What happens if someone (a newb) turns on their radio which happens to be on the same frequency? A run away might happen. Or what happens if somehow you forgot to charge your batteries completely? and it dies off right when u punch the gas... another runaway... You can never be too careful.

And may I add, I can't stress the importance of a throttle return spring also. It's a spring that pulls the throttle to close if the battery power gets disconnected. Even the most advance failsafe can't save u now cuz there's no power for it to return. Although primitive, it works. One scenario would be landing one high and hard jump. I've seen battery packs fall out at WOT. Well, there goes another run away.

Runaways will always be a part of RC accidents. A failsafe and return spring can greatly reduce a runaway.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
PeanutButterJellyTime
RCC Supreme Contributor

I think its dumb to say you don't need one because no matter how well your radio system is set up there is ALWAYS interference out there that can screw you over, plus batteries too. It doesn't matter how experienced you are its a good idea.

1978 VW Type 1 (Super Beetle) Convertible
PeanutButterJellyTime is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
TriggerHappy
RCC Junior Contributor

Glad to hear these things! I guess you can see already I agree
TriggerHappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
imported_lunytune
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James G

I think they should make a fail safe that would come with its own battery... I have seen lots of vehicles lose there batterys and the fail safe failsto do its job... Also if the crystals fall out the fail safe will not work they need to make a fail safe work under all these conditions

My photo album
imported_lunytune is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #6
Skagen
Super Moderator

★ Moderator ★

I am: John
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 7
hmmmm, this has me pondering......
in my past experiance, alot of peoples problems form glitching comes from the failsafe.........especically the OFNA ones......i have seen them screw things up things more then fixing problems.........i just go by the golden rule of maintinance, and proper driving.....if you take care of your gear, and inspect your radio gear often, and charge batteries well in advance of you thinking they are going to die, you have any issues.......i am running both my Savage and S3 with Alkalines, and no problems what so ever......
Old 05-26-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
t3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfamousSPZA
hmmmm, this has me pondering......
in my past experiance, alot of peoples problems form glitching comes from the failsafe.........especically the OFNA ones......i have seen them screw things up things more then fixing problems.........i just go by the golden rule of maintinance, and proper driving.....if you take care of your gear, and inspect your radio gear often, and charge batteries well in advance of you thinking they are going to die, you have any issues.......i am running both my Savage and S3 with Alkalines, and no problems what so ever......
Ya but wat if you go outa range SPZA, then what happens there? are you gonna let the car roll into a kids ankle?
Just asking dont think that im trying to put u on the spot
t3x is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
SublimeJason

I don't use a failsafe,
But I Do use a Re-turn Spring, I don't Race and have the JR XS3 so I've never had the need for one,But if I were to Race or Drive with a Lot of other RCs I would get one.
SublimeJason is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:34 PM   #9
imported_lunytune
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James G

I use Spektrum, and it has a built in fail safe :O)

My photo album
imported_lunytune is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:01 PM   #10
Skagen
Super Moderator

★ Moderator ★

I am: John
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 7
THANK YOU SUBLIME! return spring is a .25 cent failsafe..............and it weighs less too.

i dont let my car go out of range, i always test my range, so i can avoid these problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in