BBT 2.6m CompArf Yak55 / Back to a MOKI 150 Now Build Thread - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62
BBT 2.6m CompArf Yak55 / Back to a MOKI 150 Now Build Thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

This build started as a 32.5% Carden Yak / MOKI150, until ~post #180, when I instead changed gears and bought a 2.6m Comp Arf Yak55 in the Fantasy scheme.

With all the build projects in the works for fall/winter/spring 2011/2012, there's no way I'll have time to have the Carden built for MaidenFest 2012, so I decided to try a Compy!!!!

http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...%2055SP%202.6m

-----------------------------------------------

It's official!!! My winter build project arrives late next week!

** Was just talking to Dennis at Carden and his last 32.5% Yak will be shipped to me next week!!!!!
http://www.carden-aircraft.com/

And, just confirmed my order with AMR for a Moki150, 5-cylinder Radial for the front-end, along with the fuel pump system And, it's in stock for FedEx on Monday!!!!

http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...id=320&langue=
http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...=421&langue=en

Should be a very, very fun build!!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Last edited by scaleguy; 10-15-2011 at 05:55 PM.
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Re: BBT 32.5% Carden Yak / MOKI 150 Radial Build Thread

Nice, Trev! That's going to be a cool build!
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Definately interested in reading that.

Its funny, because now DA has dropped Amsoil and now recommends Redline.
Jody from Valleyview also recommends Redline and Stihl Ultra HP.
A lot of the big engine gurus have been dropping Amsoil and switching to Stihl Ultra HP.

Can't wait for the read

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post

A lot of the big engine gurus have been dropping Amsoil and switching to Stihl Ultra HP.

Can't wait for the read
One thing everyone should remember.

A high quality oil mixed at the proper ratios will work well on every engine (and I might add no matter what the engine manufactureres say or recommend). I never listen to what they say and have zero issues.

The bad catalyst is generally improperly tuned engines.
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
goneflyin
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Don M

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
Hey Don!! Thanks for the post - I forgot about our chat last year when you mentioned you had one also!!! I've got lots of questions for you now, so a PM will follow.

Thanks for the primer detai vs fuel pump - more to be discusses for sure!!

I've been reading the same about props. Seems a static RPM of ~4900rpms is where one wants to be (so that max RPM does not surpass 5500...dependant on plane also) and many like the Xoar or Menz (both in the 26x16). I'm also reading that many like the Menz 28x14 and 29x12 for that same rpm consideration along with the 25x14 3-blade.

Rumor has it, these radials are very dirty on 32:1 Yamalube, so I was going to go 50:1 amsoil as per your post and many others!

Still having trouble getting details on what sized tank I need for the Moki150? - seems a 600mL tank will be more than enough for 14 minutes, but will need to check wih you.

Cheers

Trev

Trev,

600ml is an awfully small tank!
but these engines are fuel misers- I've got a 32 oz tank in the Boomerang and it'll go 18-20 minutes no problem. I'm running it full throttle probably 80% of the flight too.
Intake and exhaust (especially exh) tube nuts come loose for the first 10 flights and need a gentle tightening on a schedule.
Valve lash is pretty constant, I've had to tighten them up probably 4 or 5 times.
I agree with Jack regarding oils, but add in that cooling is critically important- if an engine is not cooling well, every type of oil will carbon up.
Don
goneflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post

Can't wait for the read
I called DA about this!!! They still recommend Amsoil, but now also recommend equally Redline... Jeff said that DA will endorse the use of either one!! They said, they've never had an issue with either one!!!

I agree with Jack though - I think it all comes down to personal preference and likely doesn't matter what we use as long as it's tuned properly. In reality, there's nothing very high-tech about our motors - they're pretty basic motors like a chainsaw or lawnmower!!!

Still... Amsoil all the way, LOL!!!

T
Old 07-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneflyin View Post
Trev,

600ml is an awfully small tank!
but these engines are fuel misers- I've got a 32 oz tank in the Boomerang and it'll go 18-20 minutes no problem. I'm running it full throttle probably 80% of the flight too.
Intake and exhaust (especially exh) tube nuts come loose for the first 10 flights and need a gentle tightening on a schedule.
Valve lash is pretty constant, I've had to tighten them up probably 4 or 5 times.
I agree with Jack regarding oils, but add in that cooling is critically important- if an engine is not cooling well, every type of oil will carbon up.
Don
Thanks Don!!

Based on your run-times, I'd like a fuel capacity with a 14 minute durations, so it sounds like a 24oz tank may do the trick then! I rarely fly for more than 8-10 minutes so that should work!!

I'm very excited to study the Moki next week when it arrives!! May just have to mount it to the test stand

Thanks again!

Trevor
Old 07-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

Quote:
I called DA about this!!! They still recommend Amsoil, but now also recommend equally Redline... Jeff said that DA will endorse the use of either one!! They said, they've never had an issue with either one!!!

I agree with Jack though - I think it all comes down to personal preference and likely doesn't matter what we use as long as it's tuned properly. In reality, there's nothing very high-tech about our motors - they're pretty basic motors like a chainsaw or lawnmower!!!

Still... Amsoil all the way, LOL!!!

T
LMAO!!!!

And what's more we all take pride in the "executive" decisions we make on our highly crafted airplanes...
Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingburner View Post
LMAO!!!!

And what's more we all take pride in the "executive" decisions we make on our highly crafted airplanes...

LOL!!! - That's putting it in perspective Jack!!!

Man, we're a silly bunch!!!

At least we aren't short of things to talk about - keeps these threads going, LOL!!!! What is your saying again??? - "We're a bunch of bantam roosters"

T
Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

Quote:
LOL!!! - That's putting it in perspective Jack!!!

Man, we're a silly bunch!!!

At least we aren't short of things to talk about - keeps these threads going, LOL!!!! What is your saying again??? - "We're a bunch of bantam roosters"

T
LOL!!

Well around my house it's the only "executive" decision this bantam gets to make....aaaaand we'll stand toe-to-toe to defend it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in