What's the better hinge type? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 01:32 PM   #1
Norman_I

Total Props: 0
What's the better hinge type?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm building an ARF which came with the popular CA type hinge material. I've been wondering if the plastic hinges with the metal hinge pin are better. I considered factors like longevity and freedom of movement. Installation of the CA hinges is very simple, but if the plastic hinges are better than the CA type, the extra care required to install them seems justified. I have the tools required to install either type, so that's not an issue.
Any opinions?

Thanks.
Norman_I is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #2
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
I like the CA hinges, have used them on many, many planes without any failure (allthough I have seen some brake, my opinion is that the fellow used too much CA and the hinge couldnt flex enough) and I will trust them.

I used to use sig brand X pinned hinges, they were good and still are, but had to be pinned in place with toothpicks and not as easy to install or line up.

I actually prefer to use robart hinge points when I can, but the CA hinges are used in all my models .40 and under size. I just bought some larger ones from Jim Moss at the WHitby swap, and I will try them in my next large gas plane to test...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
rcav8tor

Hinges are a personal preverance type thing....
I doubt if any of the hinges on the market are no good if installed and use in the manner they were intended.
My personal favorite.......... and only hinge I use now...... The Robarts Hinge Points.
Easy to install, and take a good kickin'..... also look good when done corectly
rcav8tor is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-09-2003, 09:06 AM   #4
planecrazy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1
I concur with the guys, I use the Robart hingepoints. usually I'll take the hinges out of a kit and chuck 'em and use the Robarts.

Chris
Old 03-09-2003, 09:16 AM   #5
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
When I re read my post I realised I wasnt clear - I use CA hinges on smaller size models (usually 40 and under) since many have this sheet tail surfaces and I have a hard time getting a robart hinge point into 1/8 or 3/16 balsa. So I like the CA type, especially with the slot machine. fast and easy!

But the hinge points are sweet, easy to install and work great.

I was concerned with the larger CA hinges to use them on a larger plane but I think I will still try it some day, but I will use more of them and keep a watchfull eye on them each flight.

As for the rest of my planes (like my profile fun fly's, 40/50 size) that have the CA hinges, they are excellent and stand up well.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:11 PM   #6
Norman_I

Thank you all for your input.

I had been using CA type hinges until I saw the Great Planes plastic hinges which could be glued either with CA or epoxy. The store owner's opinion was that CA type hinges crack where they bend after a period of use so I thought I'd give the plastic hinges a try.
I already owned the slot machine and alignment jig, so I got the thicker cutting blades for the slot machine and a package of hinges.
When I told a friend what I had done, his opinion was that CA hinges were tougher than plastic hinges, and that the plastic hinges broke where the pin was.

Andrew,
I did understand your first reply; it was quite clear. I can understand the logic that planes that will apply more force to the control surface will need a stronger hinge. I wanted to try the plastic hinges because I had poor results with the CA hinges on my Hangar9 UltraStick40. The surfaces resist movement and do not move until the beveled edges meet. Maybe I just put them on too close (with the TE and LE touching). Had I put a pin through the CA hinge to leave a gap between the TE and LE as shown in the instructions, I might be getting full deflection from the surfaces.

My conclusion is that there isn't a big enough difference in the reliability and performance of each hinge type to favor one over the other, but the size of the airplane could dictate the hinge type. Since I mostly fly 40 size airplanes I guess the CA hinges will do a fine job.

Thanks again and
Happy landings,
Norm
Norman_I is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:34 PM   #7

Total Props: 57
I use Radio South CA hinges (available at Central hobbies) in all of my 2 meter pattern models. I can easily get 45 degrees deflection out of them and they do not require a lot of force to move. The flight loads on the rudders are pretty high during manuvers like knife edge loops and rolling loops, as well as snaps and I have never had a surface come loose.

I did lose an aileron one time but that was because the linkage failed and I got flutter. Looking back I am glad the hinges let go because there probably would have been a lot of damage if they did not. As it was I was back in air for the next round

On my Seduction FreeStyle I got 70 degrees of deflection out of the rudder using the Radio South hinges.

The trick to using CA hinges is to only put CA onto them one time. Once you have CA'd them into place and it has wicked into the wood, putting on more CA will only make things worse.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:45 PM   #8
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

I use MOSS CA hinges

I read in one of the mags to use a wax crayon in the center of the hinge, then add the CA. It's worked great for me though I also monocote over the hinge line as a habit.

Bob
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:17 PM   #9
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Another vote for Robarts......
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:15 PM   #10
monocoupe
RCC Contributor

I am: Nigel T

Total Props: 3
Hinge Preference

Naturally, I use different types of hinges depending on the application, but my favorite is the DuBro 1/4 scale hinges that are supplied with a cotter pin as a hinge pin. I throw away the cotter pins, and install the hinges using a length of .040 piano wire as a hinge pin, for the full length of the hinge line. I make the pin removable, so I can easily remove the control surface if I should need to, and the second bonus is that the full length pin acts as a gap seal.

Cheers, Nigel :P

My ex-wife hates airplanes!
monocoupe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in