Giant Scale Harvard - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 02:02 PM   #1
Jollidude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne J

Total Props: 0
Giant Scale Harvard

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a Ziroli Harvard that will weigh approximately 25 to 27 lbs when finished, fiberglass fuse and built up wing. Most guys are putting in G-62s in this aircraft. I don't have a G-62 do you think a Quadra 42 will be enough for scale flight? I'm fully aware that it won't be a barn burner, but will be too underpowered? I don't have much experience with gas burners. What prop should I run on it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jollidude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:08 PM   #2
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55
Hey Jollidude, I've seen Zirolli's Harvard fly on G62 and a Q75 and it was a nice machine. I think you may be able to get a 25 pound cub to fly decently on a Q42 but I also think you will be extremely dissapointed with the harvard/Q42 combo. I would suspect it would be underpowered to the point that it would be an accident looking for a place to happen.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:22 PM   #3
rcav8tor

Quote:
it would be underpowered to the point that it would be an accident looking for a place to happen.
Jollidude... Terry is wright on.... The Q42 just won't do it.

The G62 is the engine of choice for this airframe...... And a gr8 airframe it is too. One reason the G62 is seen used so often is that it is the mandatory engine for the T6 class of air racing. Why not keep it legal just in case

There are other engines that would work well...such as the above mentioned Q75...

For a prop.... With a G62... try something in the 22/10 range.

Good luck with this airplane... should be a real hoot to fly...... all of Ziroli's plans do...
rcav8tor is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-23-2002, 07:26 PM   #4
JimMoss
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
A lot depends on your wing area.

I had a 22 lb Big Bingo (Ace Kit) with a G-38 Zenoah in it.

It flew well but, you didn't want to pull the nose up to high.

Anything bigger would have been a balancing nightmare.

1425 sq. in. was the wing area on the Bingo.

Hope this helps.

Jim Moss
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:01 PM   #5
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

The only Q42 that I have flown was a 25lb PT-19. Flight characteristics could best be described at "stately" and I think it has more wing area than the Harvard...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:33 AM   #6
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
I think you would be underpowered with a Q42 which is a heavier low power engine by todays standard,compared to a ZDZ,Brison,Fox etc........
I notice the Ziroli website calls for either a G62,or Quadra 74 for this model.It twere me Id go ZDZ 60,If the budget can stand it or used G62 if not.If the latter,make sure you are comfortable with starting larger fixed timing engines like the standard G62 or budget for a spring starter,or plug in electronic unit.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:58 PM   #7
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
If you do want to use a bigger gasoline engine, have a look on the RC Universe swap forum, there are lots of good used gas engines for sale. I have gotten a fox 3.2 and a Brison 4.2 off of there and both are excellent. I also sold my Brisson 6.4 twin on RCU.

Many G62's up for sale allways, many times youc an get the engine with aftermarket mufler, spring starter and other goodies for less than the bare engine from the hobby shop. Or, better yet look for a used Brison 4.2 (69cc) or other electronic ignition engine (fox, ZDZ, 3W, etc) as there are many listed daily.

Andrew
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:56 PM   #8
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
Harvards are notorious for tipstalling, easy to do with a weak engine. One of our clubmembers lost 2 this way,turned oround and built a 3rd one, he likes them so much. G62 powered.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:23 AM   #9
Jollidude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne J

Thanks for the help guys, I'll put the project on hold until I can get a bigger engine. Thanks for all the info.

Jollidude
Jollidude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:52 AM   #10
Ron Roy

I have Nick Ziroli Harvard started, and have planned to use the Saito, two cylinder 300, 4.7 HP, with single carburator. Does anyone know what effect this will have on flight performance? The idea here is scale sound as well. I am also planning to add the C & M (or is CM) battery ignition. The idle will be under 1000 RPM, and hence more scale sound. I would like the valued opinions from those who have "been there, done that", or at least have a better understanding than I do. Thanks guys!
Ron Roy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in