Old 10-01-2003, 12:57 PM   #11
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I would think that even an old engine, unless its really trashed, would be worth more than $20 for the parts alone....ie: Carb, muffler, head, backplate, etc, Try going to the LHS and buying a muffler. I doubt you'll get away with less that 20 bucks for this alone on a 40 size plane!

Just wanted to offer MHO! Like the last post said, buy a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro. You won't regret it!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:17 PM   #12
davey
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: David DeLuca
Radio of choice:
FRSky

Total Props: 0
Hi Kon Tiki
For what it's worth, I have a .47 I purchased new and it wouldn't shut off. I eventually crashed it and needed to have the muffler re-welded where the manifold joins it. The carb was bent as well. So here's what I did after cleaning the dirt out of it:

1) used silicone gasket sealant (hi-temp) for the manifold replacing the paper gasket that came with the engine.
2) turned the screw around on the carb like the thread above suggests
3) sealed air leaking around the carb by putting the same gasket sealant around the o-ring before re-installing the carb.

My engine runs well with lots of power from 2,300 to 14,400 rpm on a 10x6 apc prop and shuts off where it is supposed to.

One last thing. There was a good article recently in RPM I think by Clarence Lee and he suggests the carb used for this model is better suited for a .60 size engine.

I hope this helps some.

David

"Pilots are Plane people with a certain Air about them"
davey is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:03 PM   #13
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
GMS Engines

I don't know what you guys are doing but I have both the .47 and the 120 and I have flown the heck out of both with no problems at all. In fact when people asked me what I was using they couldn't believe it I only use Omega 10% in these engines and make sure they run a few clicks off of peak. The stock muffler with the 47 almost acts like a tuned pipe (much better than a Pitts type muffler), but I do use a bisson pitts style for the 120. These engines don't like to be restricted too much.
Happy landings
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in