Interesting developement - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 06-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #21
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12
Re: Interesting developement

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Take him to Timmies, and if he doesn't want to play nice make him walk home!
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #22
tommy
RCC Contributor

I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 5

I miss understood the problem when I read it the first time. Now it sunk in so I will offer to back out as I have no experience in this matter.
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #23
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46

Similar situation at a club I was a member of some years ago. Our runway was just beyond the end of a long hay field that was used by a crop duster. When we heard the Pawnee firing up we were down planes immediately until he took off. When he returned he would do a flyby behind our flight line to let us know he was landing. By the time he was on the approach we were on the ground until he had landed. This arrangement was made with the pilot and worked well for us.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #24
Silver Dart
RCC Apprentice

I am: Paul E
Radio of choice:
Adjustable Hardpoint

Total Props: 0

No need to move your flying field - mow the runway in a circle and fly control line. Our club field is a kilometer off of the end of 15L/33R at YYZ.

Good luck and I hope he is understanding and willing to work with you.

Terrain, Terrain...Pull Up, Pull Up...Whoop, Whoop...Oh, Sh-
Silver Dart is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #25
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
.....Just because we carve out airstrips in our hay fields to land our Cessnas, it does not make them 'aerodromes'. (that would require development permits and a lengthy approval process that likely wouldn't be successful).....
If the best practices memo gets written into law and one ran a-foul of flying too close to an Aerodrome I'm gonna guess one would not have much luck arguing that you were not flying near a "registered" Aerodrome unless it were written 'no flying within 9km of a 'Registered Aerodrome' which it is currently not. It just says 'Aerodrome'. Seemes that would include both varieties.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #26
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
If the best practices memo gets written into law and one ran a-foul of flying too close to an Aerodrome I'm gonna guess one would not have much luck arguing that you were not flying near a "registered" Aerodrome unless it were written 'no flying within 9km of a 'Registered Aerodrome' which it is currently not. It just says 'Aerodrome'. Seems that would include both varieties.
David, of course we are always aware of full scale activity around us when flying our RC stuff, especially the jets that get way up and away in a short time, in fact the published gps approach for 30 at YEG passes right over our farm 15 miles out......but that said, I don't believe that just because I start flying full size a/c out of my hayfield (as we have off and on for 39 years and still do) that the world around us has to change to accommodate us (full size activity). Maybe this attitude of non-entitlement on our part is what has allowed us to co-exist peacefully with our neighbors, new and old, for the last 39 years?

Just my .02 worth and my last comments on this matter.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #27
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

Speaking of interesting developments: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...nada-1.3619865

Interesting that this (if you can believe anything the media puts out) involved a guy/company that had jumped through the hoops to fly legally. My bet is that it is news today, and we'll never hear a word about it again.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #28
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

There is a false believe I have heard expressed here and other places that there is no way a full sized plane can "sneak up" on an RC pilot unheard. That belief is pure unadulterated male bovine rectal excrement! They can, do and will continue to suddenly appear unannounced!

Several things can cause this:

-Ambient noise, traffic, RC planes, generators for charging flight packs, background music from club house or cars etc.

- Hearing loss for those of us over 35 years old.

-Distractions, children running about, fiddling with trims/programs, conversations.

-Buildings, trees, wind masking the sound of approaching aircraft.

-Low power settings, modern mufflers and props that are designed to be quiet.

- The lower they fly the easier it is for them to suddenly appear.

No one is attentive toward the skies 100% of the time either. Yes there is safety in numbers but our club presently has two active members. That increases the risk of missing and approaching aircraft right there.

Here is the most recent "sneak up" that happened to us. Monday evening three of us were working in the garden(hand tools), suddenly a C-17 Globemaster appeared at the 3:00 position almost directly over us at about 300 ft altitude! This is a huge slow moving military machine and it was out of camera range before I could pull out my cell phone and get a good shot off. Never heard it coming and if I had been flying, wouldn't have had time to land.

That's reality!

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 06-07-2016 at 07:20 PM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #29
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

still, that is a very cool sighting!

was just down in Tucson and man the hardware flying around there is amazing. A-10s, F18s, Globemasters, and I even saw an Osprey doing touch n goes for a couple hours. Like an air show every day. thousands of historic military planes mothballed there too

hey my (manned) flying club does silent approaches into farm fields every day. forced approach practice.

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 06-10-2016 at 07:06 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in