transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities - Page 69 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #681
Mustang1993
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mark B
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 6
Re: transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This whole thread is about Interim Transport Canada laws so why would you expect reports outside of canada on it ??????
Mustang1993 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #682
gonewiththewind
RCC Apprentice

I am: Murray J
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Looking at these slides and reviewing the incidents I have issues with them.

- What the slides don't tell you is how many of the incidents reported are confirmed sightings of a drone. I did quick review of the incidents and very few were confirmed in fact I could only find 2 confirmed sightings out of 127 incidents.

- The other issue I have is the slides only report Canadian airspace. To be relevant a comparison has to be made to similar airspace's outside of Canada. How do You know if there is a issue unless you look at other countries and examine what they are experiencing.

When you tell a person that there were a 127 drone incidents in 2016 then alarm bells start going off. But when you add that only 2 of those were confirmed then that raises more questions about the data and maybe it's not as bad as we think.
Excellent point Mike.

A typical airliner has an approach speed of between 125kias to 150kias. If you do the math that equates to about 212 ft/sec at 125kias....the lowest speed. Now take a typical drone and put it that distance away. It is miniscule. I just measured my Phantom 3. 10 inches from prop hub to prop hub. Now take into consideration that most of the pilot's attention is focused on managing the aircraft then it is no wonder that even a near miss with anything could be classified as a "drone". Speaking from lots of experience and even before "drones" were just a fantasy, I have seen every type of balloon, bird and even the occasional plastic something or other carried aloft by a thermal that in this day and age could be mistaken for a "drone".... man I hate that word.

So it does not surprise me one bit that your statistic is accurate.
gonewiththewind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #683
Mustang1993
RCC Apprentice

The Porter incident was out in the middle of Lake Ontario 55 Km from Toronto's airport Island at 3000 meters over the lake. The news media jumped all over it as a Drone Incident only to have to retract it after an investigation. TSB is not too brite as many drones can do that.

The TSB noted that the incident occurred too far from shore and too high for the object to be a drone.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:43 PM   #684
gonewiththewind
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1993 View Post
The Porter incident was out in the middle of Lake Ontario 55 Km from Toronto's airport Island at 3000 meters over the lake. The news media jumped all over it as a Drone Incident only to have to retract it after an investigation. TSB is not too brite as many drones can do that.

The TSB noted that the incident occurred too far from shore and too high for the object to be a drone.
Just speculating but probably the military boffins testing their hardware....a LOT of that goes on
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #685
Mustang1993
RCC Apprentice

Also if radar is able to pick up some birds why aren't they saying the object was even verified at all by a separate source :think2
Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 PM   #686
gonewiththewind
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Jeti

When I was flying charter out of Calgary we used to fly to the Cold Lake military base for a major oil company with a Piper Cheyenne turboprop. The military were not supposed to practise intercepts on us but on more than one occasion we'd be just coming out of cloud and there would be an F-18 on our wing or tailing us. Was not a warm and fuzzy experience.

Point is that the government says one thing but does another....including the military.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 AM   #687
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

On CBC.ca go to the New Brunswick CBC news and see a great video of kids having fun with drones and contributing to a charity at the same time. It made me smile this morning.

Is this now illegal under the new TC rules.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #688
excelsiuss
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Peter M
Radio of choice:
JR12X
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 56

https://youtu.be/435mfUsi-3w
excelsiuss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #689
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

If I was told there were 1000 cars driving around with no insurance, alarm bells would go off, even if they had caused no accidents. And seeing as there are 1000 new MAAC members that is exactly what was happening in our hobby .You mean to say because I've had no car accidents in 40 years I need no regulation or insurance ??what does having no incidents have to do with the fact that something has the potential to cause harm, back to my early statements, risk is the potential for something to cause harm and has to be managed and regulated accordingly . I would say with 1000 guys flying around with no insurance the risk was high that a bad thing would likely happen . What is sad is that the only way to stop this from happening was to have new regulations. You can compare it to a million things that have nothing to do with the R/C hobby that may or may not in them selves be fair or safe . The fact of the matter is they needed to do something with this problem before it got further out of hand. Myself I think they need to regulate (train& licence)pilots, not every possible wrong place you could fly these things..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Looking at these slides and reviewing the incidents I have issues with them.

- What the slides don't tell you is how many of the incidents reported are confirmed sightings of a drone. I did quick review of the incidents and very few were confirmed in fact I could only find 2 confirmed sightings out of 127 incidents.

- The other issue I have is the slides only report Canadian airspace. To be relevant a comparison has to be made to similar airspace's outside of Canada. How do You know if there is a issue unless you look at other countries and examine what they are experiencing.

When you tell a person that there were a 127 drone incidents in 2016 then alarm bells start going off. But when you add that only 2 of those were confirmed then that raises more questions about the data and maybe it's not as bad as we think.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #690
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

How do You know there is a 1000 cars driving around without insurance? The point I am trying to make is there to many unknowns to regulate Drones as TC has done. There is to many unconfirmed sightings and no actual collisions. There is a suspected midair collision between a helicopter and a Drone in Chili but the pilot could not confirm it. Something dented the helicopter but there is also a suspicion that it may have happened on the ground by something else.

Keeping good stats and Education, Education and more education is where it should have started not the heavy handed way TC regulated.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in