Electric T-Rex 600 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
twobladeprop
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jason H.
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 0
Electric T-Rex 600

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey, I just pick up a t-rex 600 it has jr8717 servos and a jr7703d gyro backed up with a jr 8900 . Carbon everywhere(boom,frame,blades,paddles).
It has a 100 amp esc spinning a Align 650 engine(black w/silver cooling fins), being fed by a 6S 30C 5000mah. It has also the helical/bevel gearing in it. Pinion is a 16t and the main gear is a 188t. On the ground under zero head speed the cylclic is smooth as ice, also centers everytime, and also crazy fast. In a hover I will trim it to hang there on its own. After a little forward flight I will return to a hover and its trim will be completely out of wack.. And also under some extreme moves I can't get the blades to make that poping sound that so many others do. I wonder if it is my power set up. Any help would be great I am completely new to helis and plunged head first into a 600. Hopefully it was the right decision.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
chris p
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris p

Total Props: 1
Re: Electric T-Rex 600

if the head dampers are worn out that can effect the trim, or maybe there is a servo with a broken gear or arm that is moveing.
as for the blade pop,what head speed and pitch are you running, the popping of the blades will occure when there is alot of deflection
chris p is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Perry3182
RCC Contributor

I am: Perry Oldford
Radio of choice:
spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2

Is this all new or used gear? I'd suspect the battery if you have no history of it. Battery could be old and tired. If you have more than one and it's doing the same thing on all of them then that would rule that out.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 4

Take one blade off and put a hex wrench on the grip bolt and spin it. Watch the other blade to see if it's tip is moving around at all when you do this. A bent spindle will throw the blades out of whack.

Also, since you're new to helis, you flight trim will only be valid if you're hovering with the wind in the same orientation as you trimmed the heli.

If you move the heli around so a different side is facing the wind, it will need to be trimmed again for a "hands off" hover.

Be advised, there is no such thing as a hands off hover (without electronic assistance). It may be very stable but, you'll always be flying it.

As far as the cool blade noise goes...

Since you're new, you'll likely hear that mostly when you're over correcting while trying to save the heli from disaster at this point. Trying to make that noise without really knowing what you're doing will likely put undue strain on your machine. Get comfortable flying around - and keep listening. You'll hear it...

Mark
Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
twobladeprop
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry3182 View Post
Is this all new or used gear? I'd suspect the battery if you have no history of it. Battery could be old and tired. If you have more than one and it's doing the same thing on all of them then that would rule that out.
All new batteries, new motor and esc. It origanally had a 4500 mah 6s pack and the old 600 motor on a 65 amp esc.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
twobladeprop
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris p View Post
if the head dampers are worn out that can effect the trim, or maybe there is a servo with a broken gear or arm that is moveing.
as for the blade pop,what head speed and pitch are you running, the popping of the blades will occure when there is alot of deflection
Not to sure of actual head speed, But with a online head speed calculaor with my setup it should be around 2100 rpm. And running -10/+10 pitch
Old 10-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
twobladeprop
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkToo View Post
Take one blade off and put a hex wrench on the grip bolt and spin it. Watch the other blade to see if it's tip is moving around at all when you do this. A bent spindle will throw the blades out of whack.

Also, since you're new to helis, you flight trim will only be valid if you're hovering with the wind in the same orientation as you trimmed the heli.

If you move the heli around so a different side is facing the wind, it will need to be trimmed again for a "hands off" hover.

Be advised, there is no such thing as a hands off hover (without electronic assistance). It may be very stable but, you'll always be flying it.

As far as the cool blade noise goes...

Since you're new, you'll likely hear that mostly when you're over correcting while trying to save the heli from disaster at this point. Trying to make that noise without really knowing what you're doing will likely put undue strain on your machine. Get comfortable flying around - and keep listening. You'll hear it...

Mark
I will try that spindle check , Also no wind to speak of that day.
I figured out that I am always needing to fly that heli but the centring just doesn't seem to be the same. I guess it's just something I have to get used to. Lol NO saving my heli from disaster here. I tend to keep plenty of alltitude for at least 1 mistake high. I would hold the tail vertical and cylcle in a big circle like ive seen done before and there helis just made a lot more noise.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
NTM
RCC Contributor

I am: Nathan M.

+-10 degrees isn't much pitch, more pitch gets you more noise.
Blades also play a part, radix are quiet compared to v-blades.

I'd also check the thrust bearings and make sure you have a neutral cg.
Also make sure one of your paddles isn't shifting around on the flybar.
NTM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
twobladeprop
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTM View Post
+-10 degrees isn't much pitch, more pitch gets you more noise.
Blades also play a part, radix are quiet compared to v-blades.

I'd also check the thrust bearings and make sure you have a neutral cg.
Also make sure one of your paddles isn't shifting around on the flybar.
That is all the pitch that i can get... i can get 14 but then my swash plate binds big time when i combine pictch with any other axis. I'm runnig carbon blades from NHP (northern helicopter products) Thrust bearings check out OK.. And I am a stickler for tight nuts and bolts lol.. Meaning my entire head is tight. And vibe free. Maybe i am running to much aileron and elevator. I think an at 38% in my dx7 setting for the swash travel for those two.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
twobladeprop
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris p View Post
Turns out i'm also running a ground head speed of 2145 rpm. Checked it yesterday afternoon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in