Read your instructions Don't ASSUME - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7
Read your instructions Don't ASSUME

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys

I recently picked up a very nice 70mm Green/White SAPAC Hawk from a guy in the states and got my radio into it - Thinking ok this model had flown before it must be an easy set up getting the C of G and control throws.

I took out the CD instructions for the model and wrote down the Control thows and suggested C of G. I then checked them against the model - Yes the flight surfaces had the correct amount of throws but both the rudder and elevator were at full outer radio trim extremes to get both control surfaces back to the center lines. The rudder was easy to fix with re-adjusting the control rod now centering the radio to match. When I recentered the elevator on the radio trim I found the tail had a ton of down trim. I started wonderind if he was flying this model tail heavy and had it trimed this way to correct. I then put my 4S 4000 pack in place where he had his velcro placed and found it too be very tail heavy. I had to move my battery about 3 inches forward to get it onto the 75-80mm SAPAC CofG.

So now it should be good to go with all flight surfaces centered with the correct C of G

Glad I checked it out! and didn't ASSUME
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hawk.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	125625  

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203
Re: Read your instructions Don't ASSUME

Let us know how it works out. As a suggestion do a search of the model in the forums to see what C of G people are actually using. Often the instrutions are wrong! A simple google search with your model name and "forum" should get some good info.
Cheers Eric
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...77&postcount=1
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
pogo
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom Muir

Total Props: 5

That's right, Ken- as Eric says, assuming the instructions are right might be wrong too!
Tom

Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7

Double check wont hurt

I asked the guy who I bought the model from this was his relply

Hey Ken I flew it right in between the factory CG marks, so about 77-78mm from LE. Those Turnigys are alittle heavier than the Rhinos too. So I would start at the factory CG maybe alittle nose heavy to be safe. I also used half flaps on take off, it seemed to help it rotate better.

Hope this helps let me know if you have any more questions.
-Grant
Old 11-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

Hi Ken: Right about assuming. Many yrs ago I had the GWS Zero. Set everything up according to specs. Hand launched it and it went around and almost hit me on the back of the head With a lot of playing with elev. trim, probably about 10 or 15 deg. to fly at all. Ended up having to cut 1/8 in. at the rear of the wing saddle to raise it to get the incidence the same as the stab. Found out on the net that this was a known problem but GWS never fixed it. Beautiful flying plane after that with many miles put on it. Have another one still in the crate out in the garage for when I get the urge again.

Gord.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1

I guess that information tells me why the one I had flew like crap. It had a real tendancy to "loop" all on its' own too. It lasted about three throws and I was so fed up it went in the bin. That was several years ago and I don't bother with those "smaller ones" anymore. It was a shame. I have others that flew just fine and had a ball with a "Formosa" upgraded. I flew it a ton as my first try at electrics.
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in