How do you get comfortable spending $10000 on a model? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #21
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Re: How do you get comfortable spending $10000 on a model?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianodude View Post
Well, it's 1:45 am, can't sleep and I got to thinking. How can some of you fella's spend that much on a model? What I mean is how can you enjoy yourself knowing you have that much coin flying around? I have seen so many really expensive models go in this year. I spend upwards of $5000 per year, but no more than $5-600 on each model. Lost three this year, but didn't really bother me. If I lost something that expensive it would just kill me, even though I can afford it. I really would like to know as I would love to buy a jet this year, but can't get past this..... John.
John,
I have spent several grand on some larger, sport aerobatic models. As you know, with the cost of large scale engines, servos and receiver, etc and the model itself, it is not hard to do.
I have also flown jets for ten years now, and have generally kept the cost down to under $5K. Not that $5,000 isnt a lot of coin for something that can potentially be lost every time it gets airborne, but I guess you either have the mindset to fly, enjoy and do not worry about it.

Last summer, I did spend just over $10,000 on my first higher performance model jet. (the scary thing is, in the world of jet models that 10K is not really that much money!) I thought a LOT about it, and how it would affect me. Well, you know what? I go and fly it just like a $200 or $300 model - meaning it is bought and paid for, and if it crashes - although it wont be soon replaced - I will enjoy it and fly it without worry.

I dont own a 4 wheeler, nor a snowmobile, no boat, no golf membership, etc. I spend my money on model aircraft, guitars, some sporting equipment like bicycles, and thats about it. I see guys spending $10,000 ++ for a skidoo that lasts a few years and then depreciates to nothing. I fly my jets as much as I can, and enjoy every minute of it and I really, honestly do not think about the cost...

The worst part is spending the cash..after its been spent, it doesnt bother me.

But, if you fear a crash and a loss of your "investment", it might not be a good idea to spend more on one model than you feel comfortable with.

Same withme when I see the guys flying jets worth $20,000. THAT scares me..

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #22
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

One thing I would like to say - is that I think the mentality of each flyer, relative to their own models is what counts.

The guys I fly with, know me well enough to know I can say with complete honesty I enjoy flying a beater $100 ARF prop plane every bit as much as a more expensive model.

Price almost NEVER equates to enjoyment. I agree, some of the most fun I have had is with a $30 indoor foamy! But, then again, flying the jets just gives a thrill like no other plane seems to give me. Same fun just different.

Dont ever think spending more will bring more joy, or you will be dissapointed. Likewise, as I stated previously, if the $$ in the air bothers you, you will NEVER relax and just enjoy the experience, and that will suck.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #23
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7
Red face Re: How do you get comfortable spending $10000 on a model?

Hey Andrew. I think you are correct in the fact that the comfort level has to be there. In my heart of hearts, I don't think it will ever be there for that kind of money. I don't even flinch when my Kougars or Kobras go in because I am comfortable losing that kind of cash. You are also right in that more money doesn't mean more thrills. My Screamin' Demon @151mph makes my knees knock, but only cost $100 to build. As Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true...." John
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #24
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

It is about flying.

A $4,000 or $10,000 model will not perform like a $100 model. If you can appreciate the quality and performance then the money is just a means to an end. No guts no glory.

If you can afford the $10,000 and know how to fly that plane, then all the more power to you. Enjoy. I agree with whoever said they would rather spend the money on a model than a vacation. (guaranteed the vacation will be over in a week)
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #25
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
Dude, if you're willing to fly around in a full-size plane that costs only $4k, you are way braver than I could ever hope to be!
The prices for used ultralights have hit rock bottom in the last few years.

Just because somthing is inexpensive does not mean it is unsafe.

http://www.upac.ca/classifieds/item/284 $3400 lazair
http://www.upac.ca/classifieds/item/324 $5500 Titan Tornado
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #26
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49

Hi John:

I have no models that approach the 10K mark, not even close. Maybe half that. Still it's a considerable investment. For me it has been a gradual thing, the planes get a little bigger as time goes on. I am very comfortable flying my plane and I really don't even think of the value as I fly, I just enjoy every flight with it. In order to feel comfortable you really need to have a good set up as in top notch equipment, have a strict discipline when you are assembling the plane to know exactly what to check before you fly and the plane needs to be set up perfectly. This gives you the confidence you need to fly. To me anyway it's important to fly with a purpose, I have a disciplined flight routine I follow. If I am just messing around in the sky I am always thinking ahead a couple of moves so I stay out of trouble. Flying low is fine but you need some sort of a plan to be successful at it. I have thought about getting a jet but that's a far as it has ever gone LOL! To quench my need for speed I picked up a pylon racer, now that is a real butt clencher!! Anyways, my comments FWIW to you.
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #27
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helno View Post
The prices for used ultralights have hit rock bottom in the last few years.

Just because somthing is inexpensive does not mean it is unsafe.

http://www.upac.ca/classifieds/item/284 $3400 lazair
http://www.upac.ca/classifieds/item/324 $5500 Titan Tornado
We define "full-size plane" differently. I think of something from Piper, Cessna, Beechcraft, etc. as the starting point Totally agree with your second line though.

More on-topic:

I guess "price" is kind of a component of our "comfort zone", one that's recently been mitigated at the low end by all the foamy electric stuff. I know for myself, two major factors that kept me away from this hobby were cost & maintenance. Knowing a guy that trimmed a couple of mm off a couple fingers didn't help!

I suppose if one feels they can competently handle the aircraft, then cost is less of an issue as far as actually putting the plane in the air goes. If I think I might "plant" an aircraft, there's no point in attempting to get it airborne.
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #28
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

What else are you gonna do with the money? Everybody finds ways to spend money and many of them are totally useless. I have run into people who are complaining they can't make ends meet while they butt out thier cigarette and reach for another one.

Jets have affected me in a way I haven't fully grasped. Just cant get enough. Having said that, I still love chucking around a profile or Habu.

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #29
hobbyjumper
RCC Apprentice

I am: Pete K
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: >12

Total Props: 0

Ditto, I felt ill went I blew 300 on my latest plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean2287 View Post
This is a great thread, I feel way less nervous about flying my $500 planes. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in