Hello Off-Road RC fans! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Re: Hello Off-Road RC fans!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm pretty much a racer only, when it comes to off-road stuff, although I am somewhat interested in the new Traxxas 1/10 rally car. I prefer on-road racing to off-road but this rally car looks like it'd be fun for my son and I to bash with. I'm tempted to pick one up and try it at our local indoor off-road facility when I go racing one night.

The new lower CofG chassis looks so much better than the old Slash chassis and it offers some nice suspension geometry tuning features that appeal to the racer in me. Looks like an excellent cross-over to have fun in the street and parks.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
mopar marv
RCC Apprentice

I am: Marv M.
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 2

Man I wish there was an in-door Off Road track around here somewhere. It is mighty cold outside here in the prairies now. Its Eleven below plus the wind chill today
Old 12-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
djerome
RCC Apprentice

I am: derek j
# of RCs: 8

hey, just saw this thread, thought I'd say hello and add to it. Name's derek

I live up in northern manitoba, I was into RC a million yra ago back in high school, 1500mah nicad batts, mech speed controls and dual stick radios ect....

I dropped it for a couple yrs then in 2000 or so on an impulse I decided to stop in at hobby hobby in saskatoon while I was in the city, they had just got in a new emaxx and were unboxing it, after seeing them try it out in the store I was hooked and it left with me.

I played with it for a couple yrs, it was a money pit and eventually I lost intrest and left it in the garage.

in 08 I got the 8 yr old nephew an evader ext stadium truck while I was out in flin flon visiting, he liked it, so did I .....couple months later I was told it was "broken" and stored in the shed, he didn't seem too interested in fixing it so I left it.

untill now

over the summer my 12 yr old nephew started expressing some intrest in RC and I thought maybe it would be a chance to get the kid to learn some mechanical aptitude instead of the usual being glued to a screen of some sort.

so we pulled the old evader back out of the shed.

it was pretty rough, tires were bald and the old nicad sport packs were shot.

started doing some research and wow things have advanced a lot since I was into RC, lipo batts, brushless motors, 2.4ghz radios ect...

anyhow he just wanted to buy a new machine, but what's he gonna learn from that, soo I set him on doing some research and he picked out the mods and repairs he wanted to do with the money he made from mowing lawns and stuff.

we tore it all down, replaced the worn out stuff and he went from an old worn out evader ext to this

mods include, full bearing set, aluminum shocks, losi dished wheels, proline dirt hawgs on the rear, a castle creations sidewinder sct brushless setup(geared 86/24) ,an evader DT bumper on the front and a t-bone racing front basher bumper modded to fit the back after he bent the motor plate on a bad landing at the skate park.

we modded the body mounts and put a jconcepts raptor body for a rustler on it.

he's pretty proud of it and I think he actually learned something from all the repairs he's had to do over the summer.

of course all this playing got me hooked again and I decided to pull the old emaxx out of garage ....that of course was a mistake cause it's still a money pit and it left me wanting more.

first thing I got was a 1/18 duratrax vendetta sc off ebay, with a sidewinder micro and traxxas vxl 380 motor in it, the things a little rocket ship but I find it's kinda fragile and doesn't handle the rough stuff too well.

so I picked up a brushless evader from eliminator rc in winnipeg. so it was pretty much what the nephew had, it has changed a wee bit cause I can't leave anything alone, I threw some hpi mud thrashers with rpm wheels on it along with a proline c10 body

a couple months ago I picked up a slash ultimate rolling chassis from ebay, put a mamba max pro with a 3500kv tenshock sc411 motor in it and some proline dirthawgs with a proline ford focus body on it.

I also picked up a stampede 4x4 roller with a hummer body on it from here to fix up for the nephew, I'm gonna throw a sidewinder sct combo in it and that's about it.

and last but not least, I got a used summit off here also this thing is awsome, it's a little slow on the top end but a lot of fun crawling around on the rough stuff.

here's a couple pics of the fleet.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121008_204239.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	183718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121008_204519 (Medium).jpg
Views:	630
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	183719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121008_204533.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	183720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121023_023231.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	183721  

Name:	IMG_20121023_023245.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	183722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121117_235538.jpg
Views:	2051
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	183723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121204_202824.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	183724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121204_202901.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	183725  

Last edited by djerome; 12-31-2012 at 05:22 PM.
djerome is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
mopar marv
RCC Apprentice

Hello Derek,

Thanks for adding photos and descriptions of your collection.

Your Summit looks awesome. I've been itching to buy myself one but its one of those too many projects right now and not enough money to go around deals. It is still something I'll jump on when I find one for the right price.

Sorry to hear that your E-Maxx is giving you grief. But now I've got to ask you, what you are having trouble with on your E-Maxx?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
djerome
RCC Apprentice

I am: derek j
# of RCs: 8

I'm pretty happy with the summit, great all round truck, just bought another one for the the nephew so we both have one, gonna have to finish up a couple of the other projects and sell em I guess as I have way too many now

the emaxx is actually good now but when I first had it it seemed to break every time I used it I slowly upgraded it over time as stuff broke and it has been good since.

right off the bat the speed control went(like 1st batt pack), it was a 1st run emaxx so the speed control was not even an orange evx, can't remember what model it was but traxxas quickly dumped them and went to the novak made evx, I sent the speed contrlol off to Traxxas for replacement and in the mean time dropped in two trinity midnight 540 motors and a pair of novak rooster speed controls.

then I seemed to have troubles with breaking a-arms, but I replaced them with rpm arms and all was good

after that I stripped the spiders out of the rear diff, kinda my fault for the fully tightened slipper, so I replaced the rear diff with a spool

of course after putting in the spool I started twisting axles so now it has cvd's

that's pretty much it , I guess it's not that bad now that I think about it
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
mopar marv
RCC Apprentice

LOL.Yeah,I know what you mean about too many projects but I'm a sucker for a good deal on an old RC.

Okay,I thought you were still having issues with your E-Maxx. But it sounds like it is doing much better now.

I had to repair my first E-Maxx[a bone stock,very well used 3906] after almost every run myself.
And don't get me started on the stock 3906 half shafts,lol. I've changed soo many that I can change any half shaft on a stock 3906 in fifteen minutes or less. Even after I did a full .25 T-Maxx conversion[wide Maxx]it would twist at least one off every time I ran it.
And that was before I started running seven cell battery packs. After that I managed to twist off three half shafts in one twenty minute run. And a front wheel drive E-Maxx is no fun at all.

After I built my 3906/3905 Hybrid, I gave my old 3906 E-maxx to my twelve year old daughter and it has been almost trouble free since then but she doesn't drive it nearly as roughly as I did. But that could change once I can afford to buy her some seven cell packs.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
xxfile
RCC Apprentice

I am: Howard Buck
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0

been into this toooo long
stilll have from newest back
Losi 10 SCTE (2)
BRP 18 scale on road
HPI Mirco rs4 exotec chassis
Slash 4x4 platinum ed
Revo platinum (converted to electric)
Losi xxx4
losi xxxT cr
losi xxt
losi nxt nitro mint original motor
losi slider
bolink legend
old 1/12 scale onroad
losi micro
axial crawler
EVERYTHING electric is running on Lipos
except the bolink and the 1/12 scale

we have our own off road track with 14'drivers stand and lites for nite racing
36X38 carpet track for 1/18 scale on road indoor in the winter.
usually race about 700 laps per nite... burn off a set of foams in three nites.
I need to sell off some of this stuff
xxfile is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
xxfile
RCC Apprentice

I am: Howard Buck
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 12

our on road track

Brp cars
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3D48E0E5-4403-4E21-B63B-33DF1183F9FB-9784-000004714EE004DA.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	186664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9581.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	186665  
xxfile is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
LOWvert
RCC Apprentice

I am: Adam Wu
Radio of choice:
FlySky GT3B
# of RCs: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar marv View Post
That and my wife would shot me dead if I came home with an RC that cost over a grand. A couple of hundred bucks here and there, every so often, she can deal with,no problem. But a Baja would be pushing my luck a bit too far.

Mind you, If she ever figures out how much that I have spent on RCs in the last six years she would probably try to have me committed to the local looney bin.

So I try to keep things kinda low profile, total cost wise, to avoid "female fireworks". I'm a bit crazy,but not suicidal,lol.
HAHAHA, so very true... I don't have a wife, but my girlfriend sometimes acts like one when I spend many hours in the summer on my RCs rather than her

I thought about selling all of my RCs to buy a Baja but where could I run it in Toronto to fully utilize it's capabilities - I have a hard enough time with my Savage XL...
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
mopar marv
RCC Apprentice

Hello xxfile.

That is an interesting collection you've got there! And your carpet track looks like a lot of fun.

I'm working on building an off-road track in our yard but its gonna be pretty lonely out there when its finished. I'm the one and only RC guy in our little corner of the world and most of my friends live twenty minutes or more away from us. But that's okay with me,less traffic to deal with that way,lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in