cf-drg
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 28
What engine to choose...!!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well i'm going to start on my 1/6 Bellanca... But I have to choose an engine for it, before I install the firewall and tank ect..
Will weigh in the 20-25 pound range..( I hope )... So i'm looking at a 2.0 ci or greater.....
I was thinking of a MOKI 2.10 glow.... BUT then I thought about gas!!!! .... What are the pros and cons for glow vs gas...
I know glow fuel is more $ but they put out more power...And gas is cheaper and has more low-end...
I have never owned a gasser before and this would be my first... So if I go this route can you recommend one... so many out there now..( I remmember when Quadra was the only one to choose from )

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #2
Ken W
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ken W

Total Props: 1
Gas!

I would go gas, talk to anybody who is using gas and chances are they have no glow motors anymore.Why?
The only advantage of glow is that is slightly more powerfull.
Gas, no messy goo to clean up,cheaper to operate, set and forget it,reliable,stronger with age,easy to start ETC.
Ounce you start using gas you won't ever consider using glow again.

Which one to use?
3w, DA,ZDZ, BME would all be good to use. They are a little more up to date than some of the other manufactures. ( zenoah, quadra ETC ).
Good luck!
KenW
Ken W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:14 AM   #3

Total Props: 57
Which ever engine you chose be it gas or glo as long as it has the power it will do the job.

Is fuel cost an issue?
Gas engines are more economical to run.

dependability?
Both are good, gas has an ignition system, glo engines use glo plug which can burn out.

Weight. Does the model look like it will need nose weight to balance or is it going to need tail weight. Most gas engines with the associated ignitions systems tend to be a bit heavier than the glo counter parts.

Size of the cowl to house the engine. Since most gas engines tend to be a bit larger than the glo is there room inside the cowl for the engine you would choose

One other important consideration is that with ignition engines one must keep a reasonable distance from any electronics having to do with the engine. Even the battery pack for the ignition if there is one. A good minimum distance is 18 inches.

Gas has some very distinct advantages but with that comes some considerations as well. It sounds like you are considering gas and are waiting for someone to tell you to take the plunge. I would suggest a long talk with the most successful and experienced person you know who flys gas on a regular basis before making up your mind. I love gas because it allows me to fly large airplanes with relative ease and economy. I have sold my Moki 2.10 and other large glo engines because of this. However I still have my YS 1.20s and love them for the light weight power houses they are.

Spend the time and do the research then make up your own mind you will be the happier for it.

Dennis Pratt
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Looking back on this past flying season, I burned less than a gallon of glow fuel...almost all my flying was on gas. The biggest advantage to me is that I don't have to lug my 60lb flight box around...all I need is the plane, a jug of gas, and the radio. I carry a small tool box, but that stays in the van unless I need it. I'm fortunate to have a few different models to choose from when I go flying. The convenience obviously pushed me more towards flying the gas plane.

The downside is that mixed gas does stink...especially if you happen to do something like forget to plug the fuel tank vent when you load the plane back inside the van...upside down !!!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:05 PM   #5
Don M.

My biggest problem with gas ( and I have 2 which I seldom use ) is the God Awful rackett they make. I have never heard a gas powered plane that sounded "right" and find it very distracting to fly at the same time as someone who is flying gas. I had a 1/3 Pitts back in the late 1980's with a Q42 in it, I loved the plane but hated the sound of it, I just aquired a Saito 270T and am now considering getting another 1/3 Pitts, I know I'll really like this one.

Another issue I have with gas is excessive vibration, but I just wrote a rather long post on another thread about that and don't want to repeat myself.

Yes glow is a lot more expensive, but the "realism in flight" is worth it to me.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
I am presently switching over to gas from glow in most all my planes.

The biggest issue with me IS the cost of flying glow in larger models. In one plane with a Saito 1.50 glow, I calculated the cost per flight. It worked out to about $2.25 per 12 minutes of flying. Even more with my Saito 1.80 at about $2.50 per flight.

Flying an 80" span 14 lb model with a Zenoah G23 it worked out to about .15 cents pr 15 minute flight. Thats a significant savings! On a given outing flying glow it would cost me around $12. Gas on the other hand would be somewhere around .60 to .75 cents per outing!

I personally don't mind the sound of gas engines but do have to say the sound a 4 stroke makes is definitely more realistic and more pleasing!

Cost, weight, sound, etc etc. I guess what it comes down to is your own personal preferences and how much they matter to you.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #7
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Agreed that gas engines can be noisy, especially if they are flown at wide open throttle most of the time...although a lot of the noise is prop related...

I have this theory...twice the engine and half the throttle....seems to work for keeping the noise down .......

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in