Li-Po battery charging - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Stewart

Total Props: 0
Li-Po battery charging

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am new to elect. airplanes and Li-po batteries. I have a 3 cell 11.1 Volt 1800mAh battery pack and have a Li-Po balancing / charger ste at 1.5 amps how long will it take to charge this pack with this charger.this is the charger that came with my elect. plane which is a T-28 Trojan RTF by Park Zone, I am not so sure my charger is working properly as the red & green light are always flashing on the charger
Stewart is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Re: Li-Po battery charging

Usually, charging is completed within 35 - 45 minutes at this rate. When complete, the green light should become solid green color. You can use a digital multimeter to measure
the battery voltage as it charges. Just unplug and measure. When it is done, you should
measure approx. 12. 6 V to 12.7 V DC

Cassat
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
astrofler
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

obviously that would depend on the amount in the battery at the start of charge, but if your 1800 was what is considered dead and you were charging at 1C (1.8 amps) charge time would be one hour.

dead and charged at 1.5 amps it'd be somewhat longer, 70, 75 minutes or so. If you're leaving some in your lipo following the 20 precent guidline, your charge time should be close to an hour.

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
I am new to elect. airplanes and Li-po batteries. I have a 3 cell 11.1 Volt 1800mAh battery pack and have a Li-Po balancing / charger ste at 1.5 amps how long will it take to charge this pack with this charger.this is the charger that came with my elect. plane which is a T-28 Trojan RTF by Park Zone, I am not so sure my charger is working properly as the red & green light are always flashing on the charger
If the green and red lights are flashing that usually means that something is wrong with the battery.

Just a question as you're new to lipos, did you drain the battery all the way down like you would a nicad or nimh? I hear a lot of new people doing this and end up damaging their lipo.

Lipos have a nominal voltage of 3.7v, they can be charged to a max of 4.2v and discharged to a MINUMUM of 3v (most only go down to 3.2 or 3.3v to be safe).

If you did overdischarge your battery, I have heard of some people successfully bringing the charge up to 3v with a nimh charger then charging the rest of the way with a lipo charger. If the battery has puffed up at all then discard by soaking it in water that is at the saturation point with salt over night then throw in the garbage can.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Stewart

The battery in question was new right out of the package I did not touch it at all other that measure the voltage which was 8.42volts. I called the hobby shop as the charger would not do anything with this battery I was told to hook it up to another charger and bring the voltage up to around 9volts. I hooked it up to my Accu Cycle Elite and the voltage came up to 9.92 in less than 5 minutes. I then hooked it up to the charger / balancer that came with it and it took 5 hours to bring the voltage up to 12.59volts. I still am not sure if the battery is good or defective, any suggestions. Just another note the charger / balancer that came with the battery is a field charger that plugs into the lighter of my truck.Weither that makes a difference or not I do not know.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #6

Total Props: 57

That pack is toast, get it replaced and don't waste your time and endanger yourself with trying to recover it. If you truly did not touch it and it was that voltage out of the box, someone like your hobby shop or parkzone should be replacing it for you.

If that pack was properly shipped at a storage voltage level it should have been around 11.5V.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
labtec23
RCC Contributor

I am: Nathan

I have a park zone typhoon 2 with the same battery and charger. The charger will go from flashing Green to flashing RED after you press the Start Button. After approx 20 - 30 mins the RED & GREEN Lights will Flash, indicating that the charger is balancing the cells. Approx 15 - 20 mins later the charger will let out a single BEEP lasting 3 secs and then its DONE charging!.

Hope this helps!
Nathan
MAAC # 77316
IMAC # 5796
Second Place (Flying Tigers IMAC)
Forth Place (Stoneycreek IMAC)
labtec23 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Laptec, glad someone who has the charger chimed in but it does not change the fact that the battery obviously came "defective".

Lipos should not drop under 9v for a 3S pack, I would have returned that immediately regardless of what the hobby shop said because by charging the battery with a non lipo charger just voided the warranty.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
Stewart

Just want to say thanks to all of you for helping me with this battery. When I was bringing the charge up to 9.97V I was using the Li-po setting on my Accu Cycle Elite, so I would not effect the warranty and I did contact the Hobby Shop again, and they contacted Horizan Hobby and these people did send me a new battery at no cost. Did find out that I have a lot of other troubles with this T-28 Trojan System from Park Zone, My throttle is on the right Gimble stick and there is no switch inside the radio to switch it back, I had to trade places on my receiver with the elevator. Also when I change the radio to low rates my ESC will not arm so I have no motor. It will arm in the high setting and when I put it down to the low setting the motor runs at about half speed and I have no control over it. I have contacted the Hobby shop and they are going to contact Horizan and see if they will replace the whole thing on Monday. Plane has not been used yet and this is the luck that I am having, enough to discourage someone from going electric.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in