Motor mount thrust angles for Tiger Moth??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
fixer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
Motor mount thrust angles for Tiger Moth???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a Hobby King 1250 mm ws Tiger Moth ARF which I'm re-building because it did not fly at scale speeds very well. I found the motor mount had been re-attached at some point and had been placed almost concentric to the fuse. (no thrust angle, just some offset) I'm assuming that this is not a recommended mod, and would like to reestablish the correct/recommended thrust angles. Can anyone advise. I have the instructions for the (arf) kit, but no thrust angle is given.
fixer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Total Props: 18
Re: Motor mount thrust angles for Tiger Moth???

2.5 deg. down and right are standard. On an aircraft that size move the back of the motor a little over 1/8" to the left then angle it to the right until the prop is back in the center. to check for the proper right thrust: Fly your aircraft straight away from you in level flight then pull it straight up. After a short distance idle the motor and observe which way the nose goes and correct accordingly. You might have to set the rudder trim to get it to go straight up first.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
fixer
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7

Thanks for the quick reply kip51035. I should have mentioned I'm a neub pilot. If I read this right, I get in level flight running away from me (I'm looking at the tail) with whatever throttle (1/2-3/4 ?) to keep it straight and level, then I pull it up to run vertical, (I'm looking at the top view of the plane). After establishing vertical flight (adjust rudder trim as required) I cut the throttle to idle (prop still spinning) and observe which way the nose moves. Once again I'm assuming, but the plane will start to fall back, like a hammerhead. The part I'm not sure about is if the nose were to move to the right, would I be correcting the thrust angle back somewhat to "0" or just compensating with trim? Thanks, Fixer...

Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Total Props: 18

Yes you got the idea, when traveling up under power, use rudder trim to get it to go straight up. Probably not very far with that aircraft. While traveling straight up you chop the throttle to idle if the nose continues to go the same way every time, adjust the thrust line to suit usually using washers under the mount. Washers come in various thicknesses.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
fixer
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7

Got it. Thanks for your help. One less hurdle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in