Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
scott H
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: scott h

Total Props: 0
Re: P40 Balancing

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
by the way ed your p40 looks great i think i would just make it a tad nose heavy snd im sure that will make up for when the gear is retracted in flight im sure thi size of plane will fly great. scott h
scott H is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
Ed Smith

An update.
Since the original post I flew the airplane in the primed state. I balanced it in the recommended position but with the gear up in the flying position. The take off was uneventfull with no nasty tendencies, full throttle and straight ahead. It flew just like the magazine reviews, two clicks of this and one click of that. I used the recommended throws. The ailerons were somewhat sensitive, the other throws were OK. The landing was uneventfull until It touched the ground. It may have been a bit on the fast side but that is not a problem for me. I fly Pylon racers remember. As soon as the wheels touched, the right hand gear mounting let go, causing some minor dents and scratches to the underside of the wing. Flying it at the primed state now seemed like a stroke of genius.

It is now obvious that the gear mounting is totaly inadequate. I have repaired the damage and modified the gear mounting. I have just started to paint the airplane.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
scott H
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: scott h

thats good news ed id like to see pics when your finised.
scott H is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
Jetjockey_3
RCC Apprentice

I am: Cary Adams

Thanks for the update Ed. I just mounted my retract rails on my GE P 40 on the weekend and I reinforced the rails because there wasn't a lot of wood touching wood.

I built my first P40 15 years ago when I got into RC scale and it was very tail heavy. It flew with the gear down, but as soon as I retracted the gear it snapped into the ground. I am hoping 15 years will make a difference. I will balance it as you did ( I was thinking along those lines anyway).

Post pics when you have it painted, I would be very interested in seeing it when it is finished.

Cary
Jetjockey_3 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in