RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Combat Discuss Aerial Combat.

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
SavardStephane
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
WWI combat builds

I have a spare engine and I want to build a WWI combat plane (the SE5a to start with). Having built two WWII combat planes, I've got a good idea of building both the wings, the fuselage and tail. But I've not been able to find info on how to attach the top wing!

I've tried studying pictures of the other WWI planes on the forum, but I'm coming up at a blank, any help? The plane will be made of coroplast, no foam.

I won't be flying any official combat rounds with this, just friendly 'stick-a-streamer-on-the-plane-and-go-until-fuel-runs-out' club combat
SavardStephane is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Rpage

Please post build photos if you can. I also want to build an SE5a for combat. You have plans already for a coro SE5a?

As to struts, I would imagine they would be bolted or pinned. Maybe make a ply rib that has two tabs coming out of the wing to attach the struts to? That is just my guess. I have never seen a photo that is close enough for mr to tell for sure.

Anyway, if you can please post progress! I have coro ordered and might follow along
Rpage is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
BillO
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bill O

Contact Canadianice here on RCC. He's an expert builder...

I think he may have a short kit of the SE5 you want.

Good flying.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
SavardStephane
RCC Junior Contributor

I'll try to post build pictures if I remember to take some. As for plans, I'm just going to use three views and rely on my past experience building both an ME109 and a Mig7 combat planes.

But no short kit for me, I'd rather have the fun of building it for myself The strut attachments (especially at the center section of the wing) are what's causing me to scratch my head. I have the exactly the same problem - no pictures I've found are close enough to show how they attach inside the wing.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Rpage

Where are you guys getting wheels for 1/8th scale WWI planes? I know that dubro has a very expensive set. Does someone else sell them at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1
Small squares of ply glued inside the wing before you glue down the top are used as attachment points. For the interplane struts screw on small angles of aluminum or gutter pipe. The top wing the angles screw into the ply throught the bottom. On the bottom wing you can screw the angle into the ply on the lower surface and then it protrudes through a small slit in the upper wing surface. It is then an easy thing to use short lengths of thin ply to make interplane struts and screw them to the angles. Some guys attach the top wing with elastics like the lower wing attachment to the fuse. The idea is it provides some shock absorption in the event of a midair or ground loop. You can make cabanes from music wire and then solder on a piece of tubing with a flattened end that you drill a hole through and then screw them into the ply pieces glued inside the wing. Just be sure you don't build in an incorrect angle of attack. Use a small piece of coro as a base and a small level to set the cabanes up. The SE5 is fairly easy since the flat centre section makes the job simple. Most of the guys use some sort of minimum wooden structure inside the front half of the WW1 fuselages to enable the attachment of cabanes, the servo installation etc. Get your stuff as close to the front as possible for balance. Most of the WW1's are so short in the nose they are hard to balance. The SE5 is better that way also since it has a longer nose than most of the radial engined birds. The London guys and the fellows in the Toronto club are the real experts.....
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
SavardStephane
RCC Junior Contributor

Thanks Bob, that was exactly the type of information I was looking for!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
canadianice
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 12
Wheels

We use baby buggy wheels from a stroller from Kmart or Wall mart, Zellers.They are about 15 bucks and they have 8 wheels on them and are perfet size for our planes.
As for attaching the top wings as Bob said you glue blocks in before you fold the corro. I have used the rubber band and also used landing gear straps screwed to the block and over the wire, as well as Zip ties over and through the top wing all work well.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
Rpage

canadianice,

Thanks on the wheels information. I checked them out at Walmart the other day and there are some cool ones.

Sent you a PM about the SE5a short kit. Thanks!

Rick
Old 07-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
PfalzPflyer
RCC Noob

Servos?

Just curious, what servos are you guys using on these planes?

Being that these planes are for "combat" (and therefore somewhat expendable), I assume that you're using the cheapest things that will still get the job done reliably, while still trying to keep the weight and size down.

I was thinking GWS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in