Hobby King Orange Receivers - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
mark B
RCC Contributor

I am: Mark B
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: -4

Total Props: 3
Re: Hobby King Orange Receivers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I haven't had any problems with Orange RX's.
For me it's my DX6i that I don't trust. The Throttle and Aileron pots have both failed at different times requiring a $30 DIY fix and repairs to the Aircraft.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31

I have to agree with some here, I have read of many more Spektrum failures then I have of OrangeRX or LemonRX failures. I still have the mental block that many of us have and tend to put the high end Spektrum branded RXs in my big birds but I've had really great luck with the Lemon stuff. I got turned onto Lemon when I read that they were outperforming Spektrum in all kinds of different performance tests that were being done on other forums. All the electrics I'm flying right now have the 7 channel Lemon with stabilizer...they have been flawless.

All that said, really hard to know what the right thing to do is...we can't say for sure that any OrangeRX that failed wouldn't have failed if it was a Spektrum, especially if it is an interference related, or related to another issue on the plane such as a bad servo browning it out. I think sometimes I buy the Spektrum RXs for my big birds just so I can say that I did if anything ever went wrong, I'm not confident at all that they are actually any better. Just my $0.02.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #13
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter416 View Post
My field has power lines running across the back, with orange receivers, you get to close you can watch your plane fly away. Has happened a number of times...

I have a couple, not in planes or heli's, have a test one, after 3 months of very little use I had to start binding it every time I turned it on. It won't save my bind info anymore...
Not saying inn your case but I have seen people complaining about having to bind all the time and it turned out it wasn;t the bind but a low power led flash.warning with Spektrum. Could that be your problem?

Old 08-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #14
tporter416
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Not saying inn your case but I have seen people complaining about having to bind all the time and it turned out it wasn;t the bind but a low power led flash.warning with Spektrum. Could that be your problem?
I don't use orange receivers in my planes, just what I have seen at my field from other fliers, not just one, multiple fliers. They stopped using them after they lost their planes...

As for mine, I have tried with many charged batteries on my test receiver, still needs binding every time. It is definitely not a power problem...
SAB Goblin Kraken, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 420, Oxy 2, 180 Fusion, mCPX BL, mCPX BL2, nano CP S, Freewing F-14, FMS Rafale, Freewing F-5N, Freewing BAE Hawk, FMS F-18, A-10, GP Super Sportster, P-39, Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm, Dogfighter, FMS F-35, FW F-18, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #15
mark B
RCC Contributor

I am: Mark B
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: -4

Total Props: 3

Mounting technique may also be a problem. Growing up in the glow era, we always mounted our RXs (and batteries!) in a bed of foam rubber for vibration isolation/protection.

The BNF electric era has taught many to simply use Velcro. In some cases, this may have formed a risky habit that has migrated into the gas/glow arena

I've seen a number of installs on gas and nitro planes that are using the simple velcro technique learned from electrics, or inappropriate RXs (some RX instructions even go as far as to say "For Electric use only. Not recommended for Nitro/Gas").

I've been mounting my electronics ,and batteries, encased in foam rubber for many years and have not experienced an unexplained RX failure.

Foam rubber surely isn't a cure all, but I believe that it stacks the cards in your favour especially in a high vibration environment.

Mark B
MAAC 20068
Old 10-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #16
stinker
RCC Apprentice

I am: Terry S

Total Props: 0

I bought a plane at a swap meet that had an orange rx in it. First thing I did was swap it out for a Spektrum. I just can't see cheaping out on the control of my aircraft.

I'm using a Spektrum transmitter so why use some other manufacturers reciever.
stinker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #17
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Funny thing... I have never never had a radio issue since 2.4 came out......why ? I don't use Spektrum and never will. I would go back to 72 MHz first. My current radio has been Airtronics 2.4 and all my aircraft are still flying since 2009 .Have used the Airtronics RDS8000, SD6 and the SD10 and have never ever had a glitch. A lot of people have turned their noses st the brand but I am the one that keeps flying with no worries . I have added A Jeti radio system because Airtronics hasn't come out with Telemetry for my turbine aircraft.....I will be keeping both . Quality is not cheap but lost aircraft can be expensive. I have seen it over and over.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #18
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 6

Nothing to do with Spektrum, discussion is about hobby king orange receivers.
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #19
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

Sort of like Chev. Ford and Chrysler. What's your flavor choice. I've had good and bad with all three of them. I run a Spektrum DX9 and about 35 lemon and orange rcvrs. two of the Spektrum rcvrs. Had four but two died.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinker View Post
I bought a plane at a swap meet that had an orange rx in it. First thing I did was swap it out for a Spektrum. I just can't see cheaping out on the control of my aircraft.

I'm using a Spektrum transmitter so why use some other manufacturers reciever.
Terry,

As someone in this thread has already said, price is not a reliable indicator of quality in some situations.

Spectrum has been hit by counterfeit/fake receivers carrying the Spectrum label.... see this brief thread, one of many if you google something along the lines of "counterfeit/fake spectrum receivers", in which Andy Kunz, a key technical person at Horizon USA, states this:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...receivers.html

And pretty much the only way to confirm you don't have a fake Spectrum rx is to send it into Horizon (no charge, but you pay the shipping) or buy direct from Horizon..... probably buying a Spectrum rx from the local hobby shop is ok but I'll push for detailed answers about their supply chain, not just a bland assurance.

My speculation is that because the Spectrum line of receivers is relatively pricey but popular, it was a target for counterfeiting.

Also my speculation is that the dirt cheap Lemon line -but reliable according to posting in various forums - is not attractive to fake just because the "real thing" is so cheap, and because it is not a brand name/popular.

The web is great and if have the time to do your research by reading end user comments on the various rc forums, people can make better decisions on what to buy.

When I got back into rc a couple of years ago after a pause of a couple of decades, I researched Spectrum - which was a new name to me - and there was just too much of an undercurrent of dissatisfaction in forum comments plus being still pricey compared to alternatives, including buying used known-to-me quality JR stuff (an xp8103). I then bought a FrSky 2.4 tx module to try out what then was being talked about as uber reliable/relatively cheap receivers - $30 U.S. for an 8/16 channel telemetry capable rx and eventually bought their Taranis Tx.
Along the way I bought three or four used models which came with Spectrum receivers and, instead of selling these receivers, bought a used HobbyKing/Orange dsm2/dsmx tx module - which is of doubtful legality - and so far so good but I will only use them on light foamie type planes.

good luck,
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in