Helipro 500 BATTERY - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 05-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: StewartW
Radio of choice:
Dx7s
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 12
Manitoba Helipro 500 BATTERY

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So I went with the scorpion 3026 motor. Its a 1400kv. I was going to use 2 of my 3s batteries to make a 6s system. Is this necessary? Do I have to use 6s with that motor? If so two of my 3s batteries are a very tight fit and need to be zip-tied in.

The manual is showing a 11.1 v 3s 3600mah (15c). That seems awfully small to me. My batteries are 2200mah 25-50C. If I series them, Let me know if I'm right, I will end up with a 4400mah, 22.2v, 25-50c 6s. Is that right?

I have a HK 60 Amp ESC comin to use with this heli.
craneman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: Helipro 500 BATTERY

What does the ESC have for input specs?

As for your question regarding hooking them in series the answer is no. You would end up with a 2200MAh pack with a total voltage of 22.2V. The C rating determines the discharge capacity and if you continue to draw each pack down at its max you would unwind them the same rate as before. Since each pack already has a max amp feed rate you cannot flow one pack through the other any faster than before. The power increase would come from the increase in voltage.

The reason this happens is that POWER is equal to a multiple of VOLTS times AMPS. In this case, since the max amps cannot increase it will not contribute to an increase in power.

You could get the same power increase by hooking the packs in parallel as this way you can theoretically double the AMPS to the motor. This would require an ESC of a higher AMP rating, but if the motor is not capable of using it then it will be limited there.

The other consideration is that AMPS determined component current rating and that of the conductor, so they would need to be much larger if they are to handle the increase. My original recommendation of connecting the packs in parallel would work best from a capacity standpoint if you continued to draw them down at the same current rate as before.

You need to look at the power system as individual units, too. Unfortunately it will always be the least capable part of the system that will limit the entirety, the "Weakest Link" analogy. You could have batteries capable of supplying 100A total easily, but if the ESC or motor cannot make use of it then it will not happen.

My concern is with the reliability and your need for this in the first place. Personally, I would think since your version of the 500 seems to share a lot of 450 specs a 6S would be overdoing it by a lot. I'm also wondering that if you start ripping with that much power then the heli structure or blade system will fail, and now we are looking at a safety issue.

I'm not questioning your capability here, but that of the heli itself. Having one of those sitting in pieces on a shelf in my build room I have a relatively good idea of structure and drive component strengths. Unless you seriously upgrade it to the point you don't recognize it any longer then I would estimate that strong a power system would rip it apart if you use it all.

Finally, we are into the question of weight. Since a heli creates lift entirely on the power system ANY increase in weight creates a direct and iredeemable draw on the power system for it alone and will not contribute to any performance increase. Theoretically, doubling the power system is nice, but not efficient or economical if the weight doubles, as well.

You notice I keep saying "Theoretically"? This is due to the fact that things are never perfect or linear.

Last edited by Cougar429; 05-15-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
rotormonkey13
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

Last edited by rotormonkey13; 05-15-2011 at 09:50 AM.
rotormonkey13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
rotormonkey13
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 10

Whoops - scratch that...

Cougar - I apologize and to the OP as well. This was taken out of context. I read you had a 500 and you seem to have a power system for one of those - but in another thread - I just realized that your 500 isn't a 500 at all.

Cougar may well be right about the power system being no good for that heli - since I don't know it at all. In a heli that size I doubt the motor you have would even fit the airframe.

Again, sorry for the confusion. I'd understood the OP was referring to a 425mm bladed 500 clone - which he's not.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Thought you were buying a 600 not 500 parts.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Dx7s

I've had this 500 for a few weeks now. Contemplating whether or not to continue after hearing about the durability of it I planned to get your 600 just for kicks and to learn. My work schedule sucks 21 on and 7 off. 8 days left! If there is nothing on this site in the classifieds for 600's at a great bargain. I might start from scratch with a kit. For now I have this one to waste money on.

Back to the batteries. So a 6s is pointless. it will be very heavy with devastating results. I have the 3026 scorpion comin for it. I hope it fits or I have to buy another one.

This is the ESC I ordered...

The H-King 60A Brushless Speed Controllers are built using SMT technology in-house to ensure a high quality ESC is produced each and every time. The H-King 60A speed controller features intelligent MCU logic making it capable of operating virtually any brushless motor on the market today with optimum efficiency. Helicopter pilots will appreciate the high speed MCU and optimized governor mode built in to this ESC. All programming options can be quickly and easily set using the H-King PC Air programming card (Sold Separately).

Specs:
Amps: 60A
SBEC Current: 3A / 5.7V
Voltage: 2s~6s Lipoly
Dimensions: 70x26.8x16.5mm
Weight: 74g
Input Plug: XT60

Programming Options:
-Voltage Cutoff
-Current Limit
-Brake Type
-Throttle Type / Governor Mode
-Motor Timing
-Voltage Cutoff type
-Start Level
-PWM Switching Rate
Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Dx7s

I only have 3s 2200's 25-50C batteries. I'm going to need a 3600mah or better.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

3200 maH cell packs are almost 8 inches long! Sure you have room ?
You almost could use short 6S2500 packs
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Dx7s

Manitoba Re: Helipro 500 BATTERY

Good to know. checking now

ya thats tight

Last edited by craneman32; 05-15-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Dx7s

Hey Cougar, Does that mean my ESC RE:60Amp Should accomadate my discharge rate of the battery? 40-60C battery would be needed or more to supply good power?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in